RMGROUP mail
July 1997

Subject: RM hosted AMC program?

Hi everyone,

I found this while surfing using Excite. I believe this is what Nancy was referring to a few months back.

----------------------------
Total TV Magazine

http://www.tottv.com/i970412/plugged.html

Add to the ever-growing actors-hosting-movies trend Roddy McDowall, who introduces Turner Classic Movies' Preservation Showcase--which features restored films--and has become TCM's film preservation spokesperson. And TV diva Morgan Fairchild is the new host for the cable network Romance Classics as well as its spokesperson.

-------------------------------
Anybody know if this has already been shown on AMC?

...Sally..
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: RE: RM hosted AMC program?

SALLY wrote:
>Add to the ever-growing actors-hosting-movies trend Roddy McDowall,
>who introduces Turner Classic Movies' Preservation Showcase--which
>features restored films--and has become TCM's film preservation
>spokesperson.
>-------------------------------
>Anybody know if this has already been shown on AMC?

I doubt there's any connection. TCM shows the movies Turner (now Time/Warner/Turner) owns: old Warner Bros., RKO, MGM and United Artists films. Except for some RKO titles, none of these movies have been leased to AMC. Nor are they likely to be. :-(

-- Scott

Anyone want to start a connection game using RM?
   EX: Sandra Bullock to RM 1. Sandra to Stalone in Demolition Man,
2. Sly to Kurt Russell in Tango and Cash. 3. Kurt to RM in Overboard.
   Simple, right?

So, who can do Dan Akroid to RM?

-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RM on TCM

Our cable system happens to carry TCM and I watch it quite a bit. I haven't spotted RM on there yet. I'll keep you posted.

Cheryl

From: Valerie and Donald Elson <actor@flash.net> (by way of The Musgrave Foundation <RMGROUP@juno.com>)
Subject: Thank You!

We were really thrilled to find Donald Elson listed among The Mega McDowall CoStar List! Thank you. If you would like to link to Don's WebSite, we in turn will link to you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again! Sincerely, Valerie and Donald Elson

http://www.flash.net/~actor

Subject: RM hosting MGM musicals

Hi everyone,

I spotted this on the TCM website. Don't know if this is anything to do with RM hosting the TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE Preservation Showcase but..

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

http://tcm.turner.com/COMING_ATTRACTIONS/index.htm

           AN ALL-STAR CONCERT TRIBUTE TO
           METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER'S CLASSIC FILM MUSICALS TO BE
           PRESENTED BY CARNEGIE HALL ON TUESDAY, JULY 15 AND
           WEDNESDAY, JULY 16 AT 7:30 PM, 1997

Carnegie Hall Celebrates the Glorious M-G-M Musicals, an all-star salute to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's classic contributions to the film musical, will be presented as part of Carnegie Hall's third annual "American Popular Song Celebration" series on Tuesday, July 15 and Wednesday, July 16 at 7:30 PM, 1997. (The first part of the "American Popular Song Celebration," a two-concert tribute to Nat King Cole, takes place July 8 and 9.) The concerts are produced by John Schreiber and Alan Sviridoff, and presented in cooperation with Turner Entertainment Co. and the Turner Classic Movies.

In conjunction with Carnegie Hall Celebrates the Glorious M-G-M Musicals, Turner Classic Movies will broadcast 15 of M-G-M's classic musicals on July 11, 15, and 16, many of which feature artists appearing in the Carnegie Hall concerts.

Guest artists on this special program, which will have two performances, include some of the legendary talents of Hollywood's most glamorous years, relating the stories of that era and performing the music they introduced in their films. Roddy McDowall and Michael Feinstein will host the concerts, which feature June Allyson, Leslie Caron, Cyd Charisse, Betty Comden, Gloria DeHaven, Betty Garrett, Kathryn Grayson, Adolph Green, Skitch Henderson, Celeste Holm, Van Johnson, Tony Martin, Ann Miller, Mickey Rooney, and Julie Wilson, along with others to be announced. Music Director Larry Blank will lead the orchestra. The same program will be performed on both nights.

The two evenings will include original M-G-M film clips, first-hand reminiscences from the artists, and selections from such all-time box office hit movie musicals as The Band Wagon, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Bathing Beauty.

The M-G-M tribute concerts are part of Carnegie Hall's third annual "American Popular Song Celebration," a summer series that each year surveys the work of a particular artist, song style, or composer. The past two seasons have honored Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald.

These concerts are generously sponsored, in part, by NYNEX Corporation. United Airlines is the official airline of Carnegie Hall's "American Popular Song Celebration," and 1560-WQEW-AM is the official radio station for the series. The Essex House is the official hotel of Carnegie Hall Celebrates the Glorious M-G-M Musicals.

From the 1930's to the 1950's, the films of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer personified the magic of Hollywood. Today, M-G-M's films are regarded among the finest created during the Golden Age of Hollywood, but none are more revered than its incomparable classic musicals whose success and artistic merit remain unsurpassed in motion picture history.

Tickets, priced at $18, $30, $40, $50, $75, and $100, are available at the Carnegie Hall Box Office, 154 West 57th Street, or may be charged to major credit cards by calling CarnegieCharge at (212) 247-7800.

____________________________________

CARNEGIE HALL CELEBRATES Tuesday, July 15, 1997 at 7:30 PM
THE GLORIOUS M-G-M MUSICALS Wednesday, July 16, 1997 at 7:30 PM
TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES' PROGRAMMING IN CONJUNCTION WITH M-G-M TRIBUTE
CONCERTS AT CARNEGIE HALL (JULY 15 & 16, 1997)

Friday, July 11, 1997
          8pm -Gigi (1958) (Letterbox) Leslie Caron, Louis Jourdan, Maurice Chevalier, Hermione Gingold, Dir. by Vincente Minnelli 116 mins. Color
          10pm - Kiss Me Kate (1953) (Letterbox) Howard Keel, Kathryn Grayson, Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Dir. by George Sidney 110 mins. Color
          12am - Easy To Love" (1953) Esther Williams, Van Johnson, Tony Martin, John Bromfield, Dir. by Charles Walters 97 mins. Color

Tuesday, July 15, 1997
          6am - Strike Up the Band Judy Garland (1940) Mickey Rooney, Paul Whiteman, June Preisser, Dir. by Busby Berkeley 121 mins B/W
          8:05am - Three Little Words (1950) Fred Astaire, Red Skelton, Vera Ellen, Arlene Dahl, Dir. by Richard Thorpe 103 mins. Color
          10am - Bathing Beauty(1944) Esther Williams , Red Skelton, Basil Rathbone, Keenan Wynn, Dir. by George Sidney 101 mins. Color
          12pm - On the Town (1949) Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Garrett, Ann Miller, Dir. by Gene Kelly/Stanley Donen 98 mins. Color
          2pm - Good News (1947) June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Patricia Marshall, Joan McCracken, Dir. by Charles Walters 94 mins. Color
          4pm - This Could Be The Night? (1957) (Letterbox) Jean Simmons, Paul Douglas, Anthony Franciosa, Julie Wilson, Dir. by Robert Wise 105 mins. B/W

Wednesday, July 16, 1997
          6am - Lili (1953) Leslie Caron, Jean-Pierre Aumont, Mel Ferrer, Kurt Kasznar, Dir. by Charles Walters 116 mins. Color 8am - "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (1954) (1.85 Letterbox) Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Dir. by Stanley Donen 102 mins. Color
          10am - In The Good Old Summertime (1949) Van Johnson, Judy Garland, S.Z. Sakall, Dir. by Robert Z. Leonard 103 mins. Color
          12pm - Lovely To Look At Howard Keel (1952) Kathryn Grayson, Ann Miller, Red Skelton, Dir. by Mervyn Le Roy 102 mins. Color
          2pm - High Society (1956) (Letterbox) Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Celeste Holm, Dir. by Charles Walters 112 mins. Color
          4pm - Give A Girl A Break Marge & Gower Champion, Debbie Reynolds, Bob Fosse, Kurt Kasznar, Dir. by Stanley Donen 83 mins. Color

Subject: Connections

Paul,

Do you mean Dan Aykroyd? Of Ghostbusters fame? He would have an RM factor of 2.

1. Dan to Kevin Bacon (the center of the Hollywood universe, if you're into the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game) in She's Having a Baby.

2. Kevin to RM in The Big Picture.

By the way, it's only 9 days to the big Barry Manilow concert...,

Cheryl

Subject: RM spotted last week

Hi everyone,

I see Roddy was taking in some entertainment on July 3rd.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Thursday, July 3, 1997

STAGE REVIEW
Perc Collators
Triple Espresso entertainers skillfully blend their diverse talents.
                     By NANCY CHURNIN, Special to The Times

           CORONADO--Some performers wait for good material to come to them. Others create their own. And then there are Bill Arnold, Michael Pearce Donley and Bob Stromberg, who don't so much write material as find a fabulous way of stringing together their own very individual acts.
           The result? A triple jolt of inspired craziness with Triple Espresso, extended through July 27 at Lamb's Players Theatre.
           The gimmick that pulls these three together is that Hugh Butternut (Donley), celebrating 20 years of lounge lizardom at the Triple Espresso cafe (where "Close to You" becomes "Close to Hugh"), is visited by the members of his former trio, Buzz Maxwell (Arnold) and Bobby Bean (Stromberg). He invites them up on stage, naturally, and this gives Maxwell, Butternut and Bean, as they were once known, the excuse to reminisce and do highlights and lowlights over the years.
           Triple Espresso was a hit last year in Minneapolis, where it originated. This West Coast premiere is under the same director, William Partlan, and crackles with an energy and spirit of infectious fun that should prove irresistible anywhere. Except maybe in Zaire, where the show sets one skit that . . . well, we won't spoil the joke. Donley is a terrific pianist, with the kind of mellifluous voice that makes you enjoy the parodies you know you're original music that alternates with his takeoffs on cheesy standards.
           Donley also shows off his keyboard skills in one segment in which Stromberg--an accomplished mime--tries to get the attention of judge Roddy McDowall by doing his Planet of the Apes impression. You won't find a more convincing ape imitation--sans costume--in the San Diego Zoo.
           Arnold, a crackerjack magician who proves himself equally adept at really bad magic jokes, has a dour, deadpan delivery that keeps the show's over-the-top humor in perfect balance.
           Nayna Ramey's versatile, colorful, coffee-cup-dominated set establishes a bright tone that, with Michael Klaers' lighting, accommodates all the swift changes in time and place, from the coffee shop to a college campus, Zaire and a hilarious disaster on the "Mike Douglas" show.
           But what Triple Espresso is really about is the triple threat of Arnold, Donley and Stromberg. As good as they might be individually, they are even funnier together, playing off each other and interacting with the audience.
           They have so taken on the persona of the self-effacing flops who try harder that there they are, during intermission, playing their instruments just inside the open door of the restroom. And there they are again at the end of the evening, waving goodbye to people at the doors of the theater.
           The word is that if you don't like the show, they promise to apologize to you personally. So far, it hasn't happened.
           BE THERE

           Triple Espresso, a Lamb's Players Theatre production at
           Lamb's Players Theatre, 1142 Orange Ave., Coronado. 7:30 p.m.
           Tuesday-Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday, 4:30 and 8 p.m. Saturday, 2 and
           7:30 p.m. Sunday. Ends July 27. $14-$28. (619) 437-0600.

                     Copyright Los Angeles Times

Subject: Natalie Wood tribute

Hi everybody,

Does anyone remember seeing a special that was most likely on PBS about fifteen years ago. It was called "Natalie-A Tribute To A Very Special Lady". Roddy was supposed to of been the host. This was *not* the one on PBS in 1987 called "Starring Natalie Wood".

If anyone does remember a date(year), please e me personally. Thanks.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: New Movie for Roddy

Hi everybody,

Roddy is doing a new movie in Montreal(after the Concert, I believe) called "Loss of Faith". I don't have any details as of yet.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: Check this site out (interview)

Hi everybody,

If you guys have internet access, you have to check this web site out!

http://www.bitesite.com/celebrities/rmcdowall/html/bios.html

Click on the "interviews" and with your realaudio player you can hear RM answering questions during interviews.

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: RM appearance

I copied the following from yeasterday's [14 July] issue of The Star-News.

Roddy McDowall emcees MGM musical tribute

          Roddy McDowall has been acting in movies for 60 years, so it was type-casting of a sort when he was chosen to be master of ceremonies Tuesday and Wednesday for a program called Carnegie Hall Celebrates the Glorious MGM Musicals. He has been a friend of most of the names on the roster. "We've been bumping into each other for a long time and happily so" he said.
          Stars who will reminisce about musicals of the 1930's and 40's and introduce film clips will include June Allyson, Leslie Caron, Katryn Grayson, Van Johnson and Mickey Rooney. Michael Feinstein will co-host.
          "I truly believe that the motion picture is the great American art form," McDowall said. The actor, who is a member of the Library of Congress National Film Preservation Board, added: "MGM made 230 musicals between 1929 and 1971, and they represent unparalleled accomplishments that can never exist again without the studio system."

The article also includes a nice half-shadowed pic of RM.

Subject: Jungle Book on video now

Hi everyone,

Tami said that Jungle Book was going to be on video there and I checked CNN- Showbiz site and found that it is on video as of July 11:

          RUDYARD KIPLING'S THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK:
          MOWGLI & BALOO (Columbia TriStar, $19.98, rated PG)
          1997. Directed by Duncan McLachlan; starring Roddy
          McDowall, Bill Campbell and Jamie Williams.

So for those, and that probably means everybody except those in California, who haven't seen Jungle Book we can rush to the video stores or the video catalogs and see it. Good price for us too! ;-)

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Subject: from Playbill Online

note the co-host ...

MGM All-Stars in NY For Carnegie Concert,
July 15-16
14-JUL-97

          More than a dozen great stars of the MGM musicals of yesteryear will appear at NYC's Carnegie Hall, July 15-16, in a celebration concert sponsored by Turner Entertainment and Turner Classic Movies. Titled Carnegie Hall Celebrates The Glorious MGM Musicals, the evening will feature film clips, along with songs and anecdotes.

          Hosted by Michael Feinstein and Roddy McDowall, the event will feature appearances by Leslie Caron, Cyd Charisse, Betty Comden & Adolph Green (The Will Rogers Follies, On The Town), Arlene Dahl, Gloria DeHaven, Betty Garrett, Kathryn Grayson, Skitch Henderson, Celeste Holm, Van Johnson, Tony Martin, Ann Miller (Sugar Babies), Donald O'Connor (Show Boat), Mickey Rooney and cabaret legend Julie Wilson. Larry Blank serves as musical director.

          Garrett will pay tribute to Frank Sinatra; Charisse will present a salute to MGM dancers; Rooney will tell of his days with Judy Garland, Miller will talk about the making of On The Town, and DeHaven will sing "Who's Sorry Now." Also singing will be Holm, Grayson, Martin and Feinstein. Guest vocalists will include Stan Chandler, David Engel, Steven Freeman and Larry Raben.

          Murray Horwitz directs the event (part of Carnegie Hall's American Popular Song Celebration series), which is scripted by John L. Miller.

          For tickets ($18-$100) and information on the show, which is produced by John Schreiber and Allen Sviridoff, call (212) 247-7800. The event coincides with screenings of classic musicals on Turner Network Television on the same dates, including Lili (with Caron), High Society (with Holm), and Kiss Me Kate (with Grayson and Miller).

(Gee ... Celeste Holm, Betty Garrett and Our Roddy on the same stage! Where's my ticket??)

Scott Ross
Raleigh NC

rossts@wastenot.ehnr.state.nc.us
playwright1@juno.com

PAUL wrote:
>Anyone want to start a connection game using RM?
>   EX: Sandra Bullock to RM 1. Sandra to Stalone in Demolition Man,
>2. Sly to Kurt Russell in Tango and Cash. 3. Kurt to RM in Overboard.
>   Simple, right?
>
>So, who can do Dan Akroid to RM?

1. Dan Akroyd to Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy.
2. Tandy to RM in Murder in the Family.

You're a Star Trek fan, Paul. Connect every Star Trek actor (Classic, STNG, DS9, Voyager) to RM. STNG should be very easy, also Shatner, Koenig, Doohan and Kelley. One actor I can't think offhand how to connect with RM is Ralph Fiennes. Even Harrison Ford is easy, unless made-for-TV movies are excluded?

--Mel
rcsantos@pusit.admu.edu.ph

Subject: RE: Connections

> Do you mean Dan Aykroyd? Of "Ghostbusters" fame? He would have an RM
> factor of 2.
>
> 1. Dan to Kevin Bacon (the center of the Hollywood universe, if you're into
> the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game) in "She's Having a Baby."
>
> 2. Kevin to RM in "The Big Picture."

          Very good!! How about a slightly harder one... RM to Kent McCord (of Adam-12 fame)

> By the way, it's only 9 days to the big Barry Manilow concert...,
          Oh Geez, Cheryl! There's goes my week! You had to remind me, didn't you??? ;)

-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: New movie for Roddy?

> Roddy is doing a new movie in Montreal(after the Concert, I believe) called
> "Loss of Faith". I don't have any details as of yet.

          Ya know, Helen and I DID talk about driving up there. If only we didn't have to work... after all, what's an 11 hour drive...

-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

> 1. Dan Akroyd to Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy.
> 2. Tandy to RM in Murder in the Family.
          Not bad!
Cheryl did it in two also, using Kevin Bacon.
Looks like we have some professionals here!!

> You're a Star Trek fan, Paul. Connect every Star Trek actor (Classic,
> STNG, DS9, Voyager) to RM. STNG should be very easy, also Shatner, Koenig,
> Doohan and Kelley. One actor I can't think offhand how to connect with RM
> is Ralph Fiennes. Even Harrison Ford is easy, unless made-for-TV movies
> are excluded?

          Let me guess... you're going to tell me that Connecting all the stars via Trek doesn't count, right? well, too bad! (all the trek series are connected thru time warps, etc, so let's just group them all together.Ok?)

          Original series- Kirk, Spock Scotty (and the rest) in the episode Doomsday Machine (guest starring William Windom as Commodore Decker) to Escape POTA (where William Windom played the President of the US. How's that!

          Did it in ONE! Ha! So there!!

          Let's see... Ralph Fiennes... let me think about this one...

-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

Subject: RE: RM appearance

At 03:07 AM 7/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I copied the following from yeasterday's [14 July] issue of The >Star-News.

Okay, I give up! What city is Star-News from?

>Roddy McDowall emcees MGM musical tribute

>The article also includes a nice half-shadowed pic of RM.

Send me a scan!!

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

Hi Lynne,

How does one find the location of this movie in Canada? Is there a certain department in each city/providence that keeps track of movies filming in their city?

...Sally..
Sally Mierop
rm_fan@ameritech.net

At 06:33 PM 7/20/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> Roddy is doing a new movie in Montreal(after the Concert, I believe) called
>> "Loss of Faith". I don't have any details as of yet.
>
> Ya know, Helen and I DID talk about driving up there. If only we
>didn't have to work... after all, what's an 11 hour drive...
>-Paul Worley

You can also connect the cast of the original Star Trek series with RM through the movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan which also starred Ricardo Montalban. Montalban was also in a couple of little gems called Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes with none other than RM.

O.K., Paul, here's what I found on Kent McCord;

1. RM to Lloyd Bridges in Alice in Wonderland (TV movie)
2. Bridges to McCord in Airplane II; the Sequel.

Mel, here's what I find on Ralph Fiennes;

1. RM to Sean Connery in The Longest Day
2. Connery to Fiennes in The Avengers (1997).

Try Madonna. I can get it in two steps.

Cheryl

CHERYL wrote:
> You can also connect the cast of the original Star Trek series with RM
> through the movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan which also starred
> Ricardo Montalban. Montalban was also in a couple of little gems called
> Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
> with none other than RM.

Not only that, but Montalban and RM worked together on at least 2 episodes of Fantasy Island (or am i not paying enough attention? does television not count or what?)

--Roc

> You can also connect the cast of the original Star Trek series with RM
> through the movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan which also starred
> Ricardo Montalban. Montalban was also in a couple of little gems called
> Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
> with none other than RM.
          Here's another... France Nuyen. She was in Trek as Elaan of Troyius and in Battle POTA as Alma the mutant.

> O.K., Paul, here's what I found on Kent McCord;
>
> 1. RM to Lloyd Bridges in Alice in Wonderland (TV movie)
> 2. Bridges to McCord in Airplane II; the Sequel.
          Good call!! I had forgotten about Alice... That beat mine by one!

> Mel, here's what I find on Ralph Fiennes;
>
> 1. RM to Sean Connery in The Longest Day
> 2. Connery to Fiennes in The Avengers (1997).
          I did it in two also...1. Fiennes to Patrick Stewart in Price of Egypt (it's a cartoon movie to be released next year) 2. Stewart to RM in Batman the Animated series. (Gee, all these are voice characters! Scary, huh?)

> Try Madonna. I can get it in two steps.
          Easy! Did it in one! Madonna performed in Happy Birthday Elizabeth, a Celebration of Life. RM was there too! Did you miss it?

;)
-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

> How does one find the location of this movie in Canada? Is there a certain
> department in each city/providence that keeps track of movies filming in
> their city?
>
> >> Roddy is doing a new movie in Montreal(after the Concert, I believe)
> >> called "Loss of Faith". I don't have any details as of yet.

Gee Sally, planning a litte trip, are we? :)
When Helen and i visited with Lynn this spring, we just drove around till we came upon the 'on-location' sets. Can't miss them. Huge rows of BIG trucks. They may move every day or two, so you gotta be quick.

-Paul Worley
crah@infonline.net

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation