RMGROUP mail
December 1998

Subject: Re: Fantasy Island

Cool Morgan! If you track it down, let me know. I'd love a copy. I'll pay you, or trade you for something. I'm sure we can make a deal! (I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. Ha! Sorry, just always wanted to say that.)
Kari

> I have a copy of the Fantasy Island episode entitled The Devil and
> Mandy Breem. It's not the best copy and I have no idea at the
> moment where it is, but I can find it.
>
> -- Morgan

Subject: Re: No one compares.

Kari,
         Disney dumb? Or simply evaiding the obvious answer? They simply could not give you an exceptable response ... they didn't think of it. simple.
Lorraine

> I tried that once a while ago, and they sent me an form info mail
> thingy that told me all about the Bug's Life, and looked like it
> was created for kids, but never refered to my question. Dumb Disney.
> Kari
>
>> You can send feedback to Disney via the webpage
>> http://www.disney.com/Mail/DisneyPictures/

Subject: Re: Stuttering

Monica, Roddy is the town barber and gossip. He plays it well. Never gossiped in real life, so I guess it was all that pent up gossip...
Tam

Subject: Re: A Bug's Life

Hey Paul,
         I understand that Disney is making the "Bugs Life" beanies. Have you seen them? Is there a Mr. Soil? Anyone? That would be soooo cool. Lorraine

I do have a theater background, I am not "young" and I do not know who he is?!?
Teresa

> You must either be very young, or you do not have a theatre
> background.
> Kyoko
>
> > Yup, I noticed that too. Hey, in that article in Vanity Fair,
> > Dunne mentions something about Roddy answering the phone with the
> > camp Noel Coward voice that he sometimes affected. I have no idea
> > who Noel Coward is folks, my ignorance shines through. Anybody
> > know what Noel Coward talks like?
> > Kari

Subject: Re: Life Magazine Article

YEAAAAAAAAAAA Janell!!!!!!!

Joni

Subject: Re: Bullwhip Griffin

> > I'll just get all the extra copies I can at the next sale, and
> > I'll > let you guys know then. Kyoko, you're first on the
> > list.Anyone else?
> > Tam
>
> I'd like one, too.
> Lynne Ackerman

I'll take one,too.

Beth

Jannell!
         Congrats on scooping all of us with your LIFE story. That puts you in a select group.

Paul Worley

The cast is huge and its been showing on STARZ lately. Roddy plays the town barber named Amos. Sissy Spacak, Piper Lorrie,. Walter Mathau, and Edward Furlong head the cast with a host of others. His part is reoccuring throughout the movie. I don't know if you can rent it at the video counter as yet, it came out about 2 years ago, but its a deliteful film based on a book by Truman Capote. Catch it if you can, its not a bad film to watch.
Pati

Subject: Joining your group/ Roddy McDowall Group

I have been a Roddy McDowall fan my for as long as I can remember, I am 38 years old and after his death a am finding I would love to communicate with others who love him as much as I do. Please include me in your group; I think I've seen every one of his movies, have all five volumes of the Double Exposure series, and have kept track of some of his personal comings and goings since he lived and visited many of the places on the East coast where I have lived or visited: ie, upper west side of Manahattan), I lived down the street from the Eldorado apartment building, Hamden, Ct., where RM and Monty Clift would visit their friend Thornton Wilder, Treetops, the old Libby Holman estate in Stamford, Ct. where RM would spend weekends in the 1950s. I am excited to become a part of your group and look forward to chatting. Is there a biography in the works? I agree that D. Dunne should be the author. Can we write to him and see if he's already doing one?

Sincerely,
Suzanne Spina

Subject: Re: The Lovely everything.

I would be willing to trade a copy of Battlefield Earth for "the Stars Shine Down" . Battlefield Earth is about 8 hours. I also have Wolfen read by Roddy that is a Whitely Strieber, it is ~3 hours
Teresa

> First of all I'd like to say that true heaven is Roddy's books on
> tape. So far I've only been able to locate 1, and it's aprox. 6
> hours of Roddy reading Sidny Sheldon's "The Stars Shine Down". Yes
> he does voices. It is MARVELOUS!!! Looking for more, but you know
> how difficult it is when you have to look through the WHOLD
> books-on-tape section because you can't search for them by who
> read them...
> Monica

Subject: Scavenger Hunt

By the way, Scavenger Hunt is one very funny movie, eh?! Excellent cast all-around, actually. Beaut scene with the 'foam' crisis in the Lab - Roddy peels off his plastic over-suit leaving him clean and dry, whereas everyone else is a mess. :)

Frankie

Subject: still no excuse

Jeanne's answer about Disney's not giving a dedication to/in memory of to Roddy in "A Bug's Life" makes sense. But what about the dozen of articles and reviews of the film that don't so much as say " voice for 'Mr. Soil' provided by...."? He was *STILL* a part of the film, no matter if he is no longer with us. He was a contributor to the film and deserved to be recognized for his efforts. A good rabble rousing keeps on on their toes, eh? Benita.

> I haven't seen the Grass Harp yet. How is Roddy and what does he play??
> Monica

Monica, Roddy plays the town barber, very funny, calls everyone "honey." Benita

Subject: Re: RM tapes

Hi Morgan,

What things do you have taped on Roddy? Still nothing from Biography on that tape on Roddy Mc:Hollywoods Best Friend. Have you seen it? They say it is really GOOD. I missed it when it was on TV because I don't get A & E channel. It is supposed to be on again on Dec. 22. I hope I get mine by then.

I think you should charge for taping what ever it cost you... so you are not out any money.. It is up to you. I am willing to pay what ever the going rate is.

By the way I am just about finished my catalog on my RM photos and memorabilia. Are you interested in me sending you a copy. They are for trade and sell.

I was just about finished compiling it when my computer went down. So now I am rewriting the whole thing.(because my new computer wouldn't accept the disk I made. It is quite a few pages). If you are interested Morgan, please send your address. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Barb

Subject: Re: don't miss it

Everyone add to your viewing schedule calander Sun. Dec. 20 from 2:30-5:30 p.m. EST on TCM "The Greatest Story Ever Told". Roddy plays Matthew. That's the apostle Matthew for those of you who have never seen it. He has one of my favorite lines from any movie. When the apostles are gathering for the Passover supper he knocks on the door and someone says "Who's there?" To which he replies, "It's me." The person goes ahead and opens the door and asks why, when asked who was at the door he said "it's me" (instead of identifying himself by name); and Roddy answers "Because it *was* me." For some reason I just love that reply. Anyway, the movie is usually shown at Easter, so make the most of seeing it this time of the year. Benita

Subject: Re: I'm ba-a-a-ck!

Roddy needs more than a mention at the awards. He deserves a full tribute. I'll never forget when Sidney Portier was given the award. I was soooo choked up. It was really touching. Roddy's tribute would be even more so because his career has exceeded the accomplishments and the amount of years. Not just as Roddy's fan but a major movie freak, nothing less of the Life Achievements Award would suffice!!! Lorraine

Subject: Re: The Truth About Lying

Hi,

I read through the French article about "Loss of Faith", with my college French, & found it to be mostly a description of which Canadian film makers and Canadian production companies are involved, and their respective histories. A one paragraph description about the actual plot of the film says John Ritter plays a horror novel author who somehow gets involved in a real kidnapping plot. Roddy's name appears once in the article, as being IN the film, but no other mention is made of him. Not even about the character he plays or how he fits in to this story.

As for that Fantasy Island episode. Yikes! I remember it well! I was 16 years old when it aired & as I recall I shook for days. Not because of the ridiculous plot, but just because of the surprize of ending up on a Saturday night watching stupid TV, hating my life, when my total idol shows up on one of the awful shows. Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island. Yes I thought they were both awful and embarrasing to watch. Yes I was watching them anyway. Don't ask. Any former 16 year old left at home on a Saturday night would understand. Then RM shows up all radiant and perfect and gorgeous, takes the role of actual Satan, as opposed to Ricardo Monelban's melodramatic God- Figure (hmm... which would you choose).

He made a very attractive devil! Even more lovable than Jon Lovitz's devil. Of course, this was Roddy McDowall. He could have been playing a used car salesman & I would have had the same reaction. He knew how to cheer up a lonely teen ager's Saturday night.

Kathy

And his lips kinda flutter out from the puffs of air as he does this stuttering, right??? And yea, Kathy, I agree, he does that stutter in Scavenger Hunt a few times, if we're all thinking of the *same* stutter. :) It's been fun to read the different attempts at *describing* this stutter!

Frankie

> Roddy did that cute, mock-indignation stammer
> thing several times in the file Scavenger Hunt.
>
> -Kathy, St. Paul, MN
>

> > Ah, yes, that particular pattern of Roddy's speech! Actually the
> > thing I noticed most (and, as a result of trying to immitate it
> > still do this sometimes), is that he does this stuttering... thing
> > between sentences, or when emphasizing a point... (<~~~~person who
> > is bad at explaining this). If you know what I'm talking about, I'm
> > pretty sure you know it's a cute habit.

Subject: Re: RM tribute in 71st Oscar?

Kari,
         If you are asking about the Academy Awards they are in March every year. Anyone got any ideas on how to pressure the Awards Committee about honoring our hero with the Life achievements Award? Perhaps Elizabeth might have the cloat and know how. Anyone? Lorraine

Could you sign me up for a copy of "The Devil and Mandy Breem"if you find your copy. Please. Teresa christophe@uswest.net

> I have a copy of the Fantasy Island episode entitled The Devil and
> Mandy Breem. It's not the best copy and I have no idea at the
> moment where it is, but I can find it.
>
> -- Morgan

Subject: The Grass Harp! (was Re: Stuttering)

Grass Harp is great!
         The movie was true poetry! Roddy plays the town gossip working as a barber in a small country town. He absorbes the private details of the local people as he cuts hair and is absolutely adorable in doing so. His character is driven more by expression (those eyes), than dialogue as he can barely stand still as customers talk on. The only complaint I had is that he was not in it enough. His character was small though very significant. (Of course I could always see more of Roddy)! See it! Then see it again! You won't be sorry! Lorraine

> I haven't seen the Grass Harp yet. How is Roddy and what does he play??
> Monica

Thanks Jeanne,
         It does feel better to know that it was too close to the release date. It was so obvious and yet I didn't see it. I really do hope to see it on the video when it is released to the stores. That would be wonderful. Lorraine

> I talked to a friend of mine at Disney to see if I could find out
> why Roddy wasn't mentioned at the end.
>
> Here's the deal (this is NOT an official Disney statement, but an
> educated guess by someone who would know): Roddy simply died too
> close to the opening of the movie. The editing process was
> finished months ago and the movie had already been copied and was
> either at or on it's way to the theaters. The cost of recalling
> all the prints, > re-editing the end and re-copy it would have been
> astronomical - as well as time consuming. They never could have
> delivered in time for the promised opening. Look for something at
> the end of the Home Video version when it's available. Chances
> are good that there will be something on that.
>
> Hope that makes you feel a little better. I really don't think he
> was intentionally slighted. :D
>
> Jeanne

Subject: Re: eevil.... EEEEEvvilll...

Alright everyone, I've got VCR's and spare time on my weekend (for once! no more essays and books til after the holidays! Yay!), so if any of you are interested in recordings of Evil Under the Sun, let me know. Teresa,as first taker of my extra boughten tape, which copy did you want? The packaged, or the previously viewed with the original cover?

Oh, and check this out guys! You never know what you might find when you're not looking. I stumbled across the original soundtrack to Fright Night in a discount Wal-Mart bin. I wasn't even looking through them, but I just glanced down and there it was! If I had gone looking for it, I'd never have found a soundtrack that old. So I'm a happy camper.

Kari

Subject: Re:Roddy /Hollywood & Press

Hi Lorraine,

I agree with you, about Hollywood and the press not giving Roddy the recognition he deserves. For example when Flip Wilson and Ester Rolle died recently they had articles on them and their lives. (and they deserve that too since they were fine actors ) but when they mentioned Roddy it was only through his afiliation with Liz Taylor. They should of done one on him like People mag which told of his life etc. He always seems to get the short end of the press guys stick. But I have a theory on that. Since he did not want a funeral or a memoral service because he knew so many people big in Hollywood, and the fact that he mention that it would have been a photo op for the paperazi. He was so private in life as well as death, and I think the press recented that since they could not get any info out of him regard other celebraties. Just a theory, I might be wrong

Barb

> Kari,
> If you are asking about the Academy Awards they are in March
> every year. Anyone got any ideas on how to pressure the Awards
> Committee about honoring our hero with the Life achievements
> Award? Perhaps Elizabeth might have the cloat and know how.
> Anyone? Lorraine

Umm, if you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd be most glad, but I think Lifetime Achievement Awards are not given posthumously.

--Mel

I feel really dumb!

         I love Fantasy Island, like Malcolm McDowell and really like the style of the playright for this show ... but missed the famous Roddy episode!!! There. I said it! And I feel really, really stupid for missing the one that really really counts!

         I searched the net one day to get a glimse of anything from that episode but when I entered Fantasy into the search it took me where I didn't want to go... don't ask.
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Joining your group/ Roddy McDowall Group

Wow... neat Suzanne! They were friends with Thornton Wilder? Welcome! Kari

> I have been a Roddy McDowall fan my for as long as I can remember,
> I am 38 years old and after his death a am finding I would love to
> communicate with others who love him as much as I do. Please
> include me in your group; I think I've seen every one of his
> movies, have all five volumes of the Double Exposure series, and
> have kept track of some of his personal comings and goings since he
> lived and visited many of the places on the East coast where I have
> lived or visited: ie, upper west side of Manahattan), I lived down
> the street from the Eldorado apartment building, Hamden, Ct.,
> where RM and Monty Clift would visit their friend Thornton Wilder,
> Treetops, the old Libby Holman estate in Stamford, Ct. where RM
> would spend weekends in the 1950s. I am excited to become a part
> of your group and look forward to chatting. Is there a biography
> in the works? I agree that D. Dunne should be the author. Can we
> write to him and see if he's already doing one?
>
> Sincerely,
> Suzanne Spina

Subject: Re: The Grass Harp

The Grass Harp is available on video. It was released as a *B* title so not all stores will carry it. But with such a huge cast it was still a draw. Personally, I'm surprised it didn't rate higher than a *B* rating. This is one of those overlooked treasures that you don't want to miss.
Lorraine

Mel,
         Your probably right. But you can't blame a girl for trying! Lorraine

>> Anyone got any ideas on how to pressure the Awards
>> Committee about honoring our hero with the Life achievements
>> Award? Perhaps Elizabeth might have the cloat and know how.
>> Anyone? Lorraine
>
> Umm, if you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd be most glad,
> but I think Lifetime Achievement Awards are not given posthumously.
>
> --Mel

Yeah, he does it in Evil Under the Sun, too. His lines go something like, "Whh ell!" (You know how he does that) and "I..I..I.. have no idea what you're implying..."
Kari

> And his lips kinda flutter out from the puffs of air as he does
> this stuttering, right??? And yea, Kathy, I agree, he does that
> stutter in Scavenger Hunt a few times, if we're all thinking of the
> *same* stutter. :) It's been fun to read the different attempts at
> *describing* this stutter!
> Frankie
>
> > Roddy did that cute, mock-indignation stammer
> > thing several times in the file Scavenger Hunt.
> > -Kathy, St. Paul, MN

Well, geez! Make an exception, people! Yes, I think you're right, Mel. But what do you do then for a guy who wouldn't let people honor him when he was alive? Oh well. I still hope they do more than the obligatory "flash a picture of him on the big screen for a second, play cheesy music" thing. Don't they make a special issue out of losing members of the Academy? I thought I remembered past years where they'd make a speech about a deceased board member (whom I'd never heard of, but figured he was important some how.) Maybe they'll do that.

Kari

> > Anyone got any ideas on how to pressure the Awards
> > Committee about honoring our hero with the Life achievements Award?
>
> Umm, if you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd be most glad,
> but I think Lifetime Achievement Awards are not given posthumously.

> He has one of my favorite lines from any movie. When the apostles
> are gathering for the Passover supper he knocks on the door and
> someone says "Who's there?" To which he replies, "It's me." The
> person goes ahead and opens the door and asks why, when asked who
> was at the door he said "it's me" (instead of identifying himself
> by name); and Roddy answers "Because it *was* me." For some
> reason I just love that reply.
> Benita

I also love the scene in which he first meets Jesus. He is collecting taxes at the gate of the city and when Jesus arrives at the gate he asks if he has anything to declare. Jesus replies "Only my Father." Roddy looks mystified and starts looking around for Jesus' father.

Cheryl

Oh, now I really want to see that one. Any luck, Morgan? Let us know if you find it, and what you would want in exchange for a copy. I love old cheesy T.V. series, and with Roddy as the Devil, how could I resist!
Kari
Still have two recordings of Evil Under the Sun! Anybody else want one?

> As for that Fantasy Island episode. Yikes! I remember it well! I
> was 16 years old when it aired & as I recall I shook for days. Not
> because of the ridiculous plot, but just because of the surprize
> of ending up on a Saturday night watching stupid TV, hating my
> life, when my total idol shows up on one of the awful shows. Love
> Boat followed by Fantasy Island. Yes I thought they were both awful
> and embarrasing to watch. Yes I was watching them anyway. Don't
> ask. Any former 16 year old left at home on a Saturday night would
> understand. Then RM shows up all radiant and perfect and gorgeous,
> takes the role of actual Satan, as opposed to Ricardo Monelban's
> melodramatic God- Figure (hmm... which would you choose).
>
> He made a very attractive devil! Even more lovable than Jon
> Lovitz's devil. Of course, this was Roddy McDowall. He could have
> been playing a used car salesman & I would have had the same
> reaction. He knew how to cheer up a lonely teen ager's Saturday
> night.
>
> Kathy

Would you believe I have seen that movie twice, and never noticed that line! Shame on me. He does have a good part, though. And the sinners are easy to keep track of, they're all in red. :)
Kari

> "The Greatest Story Ever Told". Roddy
> plays Matthew. That's the apostle Matthew for those of you who
> have never seen it. He has one of my favorite lines from any
> movie. When the apostles are gathering for the Passover supper he
> knocks on the door and someone says "Who's there?" To which he
> replies, "It's me." The person goes ahead and opens the door and
> asks why, when asked who was at the door he said "it's me" (instead
> of identifying himself by name); and Roddy answers "Because it *was*
> me." For some reason I just love that reply. Anyway, the movie is
> usually shown at Easter, so make the most of seeing it this time
> of the year.
> Benita

> Alright everyone, I've got VCR's and spare time on my weekend (for
> once! no more essays and books til after the holidays! Yay!), so
> if any of you are interested in recordings of Evil Under the Sun,
> let me know.
>
> Kari

         Kari, put me down for "Evil Under the Sun." We'll work out a trade. Benita bec87@bellsouth.net

Kathy,
         I was home on Saturday night watching them too, (unless I was baby- sitting, then I was somewhere else watching them). I remember Roddy as Satan, I had just started liking him, boy was he evil acting. And I remember him on an episode of Love Boat playing a sort of milquetoast character. Does anyone else remember that?

Joni

Subject: Re: Famous Monsters of Filmland

> All those years subscribing to Famous Monsters and now they have
> an article on Roddy.

Has anyone else been able to find this magazine?

--Mel

it's hard to believe that after all this time it still hurts so much.

I still look at the article and photographs from people magazine and get so sad

I'm sure he is taking pictures from heaven.

sabby

Joni,

Yes, I did see a Love Boat episode with Roddy on it, when I was a teen ager. I must have been, again, 16 or so, & this is my very hazy memory. He had a crush on a lady on the boat, but could not tell her. He was shy. She jerked him around the whole episode. The last scene shows her get in an actual bed with him, which frightened me, at that age. She told him she loved him. Then she added "...just like a brother." Then she turned her back on him & turned out the light & he laid there looking at the ceiling, all confused. I was relieved.

-Kathy W

> Kathy,
> I was home on Saturday night watching them too, (unless I was
> baby-> sitting, then I was somewhere else watching them). I
> remember Roddy as Satan, I had just started liking him, boy was he
> evil acting. And I remember him on an episode of Love Boat playing
> a sort of milquetoast character. Does anyone else remember that?
>
> Joni

Barb, I ordered a copy of RM's bio just after it aired on T.V., and received it about 3 weeks later! They were actually pretty prompt. Have you tried calling their order number yet? If I can get it that quickly in Canada, I would think you should be able to. It's worth it! Really really! Kari

Subject: Re: still no excuse

> Jeanne's answer about Disney's not giving a dedication to/in
> memory of to Roddy in "A Bug's Life" makes sense. But what about
> the dozen of articles and reviews of the film that don't so much as
> say " voice for 'Mr. Soil' provided by...."? He was *STILL* a part
> of the film, no matter if he is no longer with us. He was a
> contributor to the film and deserved to be recognized for his
> efforts. A good rabble rousing keeps on on their toes, eh?
> Benita.

They are bringing out new out takes this weeks. Maybe he'll be in one.
Stephanie L

Subject: Re: back on line

Saw the little pic of Roddy as a child in Premiere. It's a really cute one, even if its small! I'm still waiting for the Life January issue to come out up here though. Just got a copy of The Keys of the Kingdom. Roddy's only at the beginning, but he's good while he's on! Another traumatized youngster. I wonder how he taught himself to burst into tears on cue... breaks my heart every time, darn it.
Kari

> Kathy,
> I was home on Saturday night watching them too, (unless I
> was baby- sitting, then I was somewhere else watching them). I
> remember Roddy as Satan, I had just started liking him, boy was he
> evil acting. And I remember him on an episode of Love Boat playing
> a sort of milquetoast character. Does anyone else remember that?
>
> Joni

         Joni, yes of course I remember. He had some sort of allergic reaction and kept sneezing. It was being caused by the "stress" of being chased by a co-worker who had followed him on the trip. When he finally fell in love with her, the sneezing stopped, but by then she had lost interest. If I remember correctly, the tables were turned and *she* started sneezing...Benita

> Jeanne's answer about Disney's not giving a dedication to/in
> memory of to Roddy in "A Bug's Life" makes sense. But what
> about the dozen of articles and reviews of the film that don't so
> much as say " voice for 'Mr. Soil' provided by...."? He was
> *STILL* a part of the film, no matter if he is no longer with us.
> He was a contributor to the film and deserved to be recognized for
> his efforts. A good rabble rousing keeps on on their toes, eh?
> Benita.

I have to agree with Benita. I *always* understood that the movie was released too close to Roddy's death to have them put something on the film itself, but why wasn't Roddy included in all the publicity, trailers, promos, posters, etc., etc.? The only thing I ever saw him in was something that appeared on a community channel here, and in the whole half hour program all they showed of him was probably less than a second of him at the mike...whereas they had actual *interviews* with almost everyone else who was in the movie!

And before anyone asks, sorry, I wasn't able to tape it, it was just one of those things that I ran across while flipping through channels. I have to phone that station up and find out when they're going to rerun the program, because nothing is ever listed in the TV Guide for that channel.

Lynne Ackerman

Subject: Picture of Roddy

Hi Everyone, I have that photo mentioned here, and thought you might like to see it.
http://www.smithway.org/rm/temp/Roddy3.jpg.
Pam

> I vaguely(sp?) remember a PEOPLE magazine with Carol Burnett on
> the cover. The article was about an auction or something at her
> house. This was in the mid to late 1970's. I saw it at my
> orthodintist's office. Anyway, there was a picture of Mr. M.
> lounging on a couch in C.B.'s home. I don't know if this is the
> same one, but---

Subject: Mr. Soil

http://davisenterprise.com/WEEKEND/film/bugslife.html
Perhaps the most pleasant vocal surprise, however, is Roddy McDowall's turn as Mr. Soil, one of the ant queen's loyal subjects. Although McDowall died last month, he recorded his work for this film much earlier; while not a major character, McDowall's Mr. Soil is a beacon of authority and gentility.
http://gomemphis.com/capages/appeal/movies/a26bug.htm
A Bug's Life also features one of the last "appearances" by the late Roddy McDowall, who lends his distinctive voice to the character of Mr. Soil, a pompous and overly dramatic ant leader.
--Mel

> Hey Paul,
> I understand that Disney is making the "Bugs Life" beanies. Have
> you seen them? Is there a Mr. Soil? Anyone? That would be soooo
> cool.

         Nope, haven't heard abything about them. I'll definately keep my eye out for you.
         Say, has anyone seen the new POTA figures? I've only seen them in one place and it's a computer store. (?!?) Anyway, i keep waiting for Hills, Walmart, or K-mart to come up with them. Most of those stores say they haven't even heard of them.
Paul Worley

Subject: Re: RM tv guide Nov 27-Dec 31 12/9/98

> One of the things I do to earn money is make tapes for people,
> usually getting $15 per tape (including s&h). But with you guys I
> don't know whether I should keep the price; knock down the price;
> just ask for the cost; or just eat the cost. Any opinions will be
> appreciated. I'll go with whatever you guys think is fair.
>
> -- Morgan

Morgan, I'd have to say that if you are making tapes to help your income, Roddy is definitely worh $15. Soooooo, what tapes have ya got?

Christina-Paige

> > I'll just get all the extra copies I can at the next sale, and
> > I'll let you guys know then. Kyoko, you're first on the
> > list.Anyone else?
> > Tam

You can add me to the list.
Christina-Paige
Cantisa@aol.com

> Just got a copy of The Keys of the Kingdom. Roddy's only at the
> beginning, but he's good while he's on! Another traumatized
> youngster. I wonder how he taught himself to burst into tears on
> cue... breaks my heart every time, darn it.
> Kari

I always wondered that too... I keep trying and I still can't do it! I always keep watching those parts of movies where he does that, just starts crying right on cue, and trying to figure out how the 'blinkity bloomin' heck he does it. (btw that quote is from Cricket on the Hearth, which can be obtained rather easily at most video stores!!) It's so touching the way he does.... The one... er two places that are the best are in Battle for the Planet of the Apes when his son dies and in Fright Night... How does he do it????

Monica

Yup. You got it. I need your address, though Benita. Just send it to me at prinkj00@uleth.ca and I'll have it to you as soon as I can get it to the post office. :) Still interested in trading a copy of Shock Treatment? (After the holiday festivities, of course.) Kari

From: TCable2105@aol.com
To: roc@smithway.org
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:10:41 EST

i think the photos of Roddy are great! you have an excellent page and I'd like to join your mailing list

> What other Lynley stuff do you have, Morgan? I'll pass the info
> onto JR, and see if she's looking for anything. She's got quite
> the old movie collection herself, so maybe you guys can set up
> trades as well. Kari

I have uncut/uninterrupted:
Alfred Hitchcock Hour: Final Vow Bunny Lake Is Missing
The Night Stalker
Return to Peyton Place
The Virginian: Man From the Sea

And w/commercials:
Big Valley: Hell Hath No Fury
Charlie's Angels: Island Angels
Fantasy Island: The Devil and Mandy Breem
Mannix: Voice In the Dark
Monsters: Stressed Enviroment

The Fantasy Island episode isn't really good qaulity.

Thanks.

-- Morgan

> I have a copy of the Fantasy Island episode entitled The Devil and
> Mandy Breem. It's not the best copy and I have no idea at the
> moment where it is, but I can find it.
> -- Morgan

If you can locate it, Morgan, I'd love a copy. I'll pay you for it, including S&H.
Christina-Paige
Cantisa@aol.com

Mel,

I found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We'll be back there this weekend, to Christmas shop, shall I pick up some extra copies???

Welcome Suzanne! Question: You said you have five books by Mr. McD. I have "Double Exposure", "D.E. Take Two", "...Take Three", and "...Take Four". What's the fifth one?

Also to anyone. Prior to his death, I thought I had read he was working on another book. Do you think someone will finish it...such as David Charlson, who worked with him on his other books?

Paige-Marie

I'm about that close. I also have the other Devil episode.

And I also recalled, after the episode was mentioned, that I also have the Love Boat episode - I believe the title of his segment is Don't Push Me. Unfortunately, like the Fantasy Islands I have, it's not the best copy. But hey a poor copy Roddy is better than no Roddy.

> Oh, now I really want to see that one. Any luck, Morgan? Let us
> know if you find it, and what you would want in exchange for a
> copy. I love old cheesy T.V. series, and with Roddy as the Devil,
> how could I resist!
> Kari

Nothing against Ricardo Montalban, but I think I'd go with RM, Devil or not.

-- Morgan

> > Then RM shows up all radiant and perfect and gorgeous,
> > takes the role of actual Satan, as opposed to Ricardo Monelban's
> > melodramatic God- Figure (hmm... which would you choose).
> >
> > Kathy

The Love Boat was that intense! Yeesh! I've never seen an episode, but that one sounds interesting to say the least!
Kari

> Yes, I did see a Love Boat episode with Roddy on it, when I was a
> teen ager. I must have been, again, 16 or so, & this is my very
> hazy memory. He had a crush on a lady on the boat, but could not
> tell her. He was shy. She jerked him around the whole episode. The
> last scene shows her get in an actual bed with him, which
> frightened me, at that age. She told him she loved him. Then she
> added "...just like a brother." Then she turned her back on him &
> turned out the light & he laid there looking at the ceiling, all
> confused. I was relieved.
>
> -Kathy W

Subject: Re: Mr. Soil

YEA!!!!! Mel you are amazing to find these treasures!!!!

Joni

Subject: Re: Picture of Roddy

Cute picture. What a goof! :)
Kari

> http://www.smithway.org/rm/temp/Roddy3.jpg

Subject: Re: POTA toys

Paul,
         As for the POTA toys have you investigated the POTA site. There's a great group of guys that are nuts about the Planet Of The Apes and they can be found at: < comicsape@dlewest.com > They have access to alot of neat POTA things, including a newsletter. They may have the goop on toys as well. Lorraine

         Yup that was the Love Boat episode. I remember always reading the TV guide like a book from cover to cover just to see a glimpse of his name. I always found out what shows he was in and circled them. I even got a thrill when he was "24 across" in the TV guide crossword puzzle.

Joni

Our little thrice-weekly paper in the neighborhood of the original "Camp Swampy" (Ft. Stewart, GA- the guy who draws Beetle Bailey was stationed here during WWII) ran an article on "A Bug's Life" and it did mention Roddy as the voice of Mr. Soil. I need to make sure that my roommate did not drop it into the recycle bin. If it is still availble, I'll type it up if y'all want.

Beth eproctor@clds.net

Beats me. I always heard that they used to tell kids awful things to get them to tear up. Maybe they threatened to kill Lassie. Just kidding. I guess he just had a gift for that sort of thing. Anyway, he does it well. Ever see White Cliffs of Dover? Where his grandmother or whatever she was, wakes him up? He looks like he had just gotten out of bed, all tousled and just cuter than heck, and he's standing outside the bedroom door. He doesn't really cry, but you can see his bottom lip quiver, and it is just so amazing how he pulls that off! Check it out. Kari

> I always keep watching those parts of movies where he does that,
> just starts crying right on cue, and trying to figure out how the
> 'blinkity bloomin' heck he does it.
> Monica

Subject: You guys are great!

When I first get up early I check my mail and its so nice to see all the conversation about Roddy. Since I am relatively new to this sort of thing, do you chat in the morning before work or what? To answer Kari's remark about T. Wilder and Roddy I actually read about that in the biography of M. Clift. I never saw that Love Boat episode but I certainly wished I had.... can't wait to get the new Life issue.
Suzanne in Boston

> Mel,
>
> I found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We'll be back there
> this weekend, to Christmas shop, shall I pick up some extra
> copies???

Not for me, thank you. I've already got two copies and I've been seeing the magazine in a lot of comics, magazine, and book shops. Perhaps the others who are finding it difficult to find the magazine.

> Welcome Suzanne! Question: You said you have five books by Mr.
> McD. I have "Double Exposure", "D.E. Take Two", "...Take Three",
> and "...Take Four". What's the fifth one?

The first volume was reprinted. It's counted separately in some articles I've seen.

> Also to anyone. Prior to his death, I thought I had read he was
> working on another book. Do you think someone will finish
> it...such as David Charlson, who worked with him on his other books?

He was supposed to have been working on Double Exposure Take 5. In the 11/30/98 issue of People weekly (the one about Taylor's private RM memorial), it said that "all of McDowall's personal papers and photographs will be sealed for 100 years." I'm not sure if these include what would've gone to DE5. Also, Jeanne mentioned to me that David died recently.

--Mel

Subject: A Bugs Life additions

Hi -

I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.

Maureen Lynch

Subject: Re: Oscars

Okay, I e-mailed the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and asked what the possibilty will be of Mr. McD receiving either a Lifetime Acheivement Award or a special tribute. This is the e-mail I received today from Fred Henderson:

"The Academy is unable to award any type of Honorary recognition posthumously, but because Roddy was so dear to the Academy and the Hollywood community, he will be recognized on the upcoming 71st Awards."

Personally, I think this will be great and I'm happy with their decision. Obviously, I don't know what is meant by being "recognized", but I really feel like he will be mentioned in more then a fleeting moment.

Paige-Marie

Subject: RM Books

> Also to anyone. Prior to his death, I thought I had read he was
> working on another book. Do you think someone will finish it...such
> as David Charlson, who worked with him on his other books?

I don't know if there is another book in the works, but I do know that David Charleson won't be working on it. Since Roddy' death, there are plans to re-release the DE books, with all of the money going to charity. When David found out about this, he called and demanded 50% of the take, claiming that Roddy would have wanted it that way. Well, the battle lines were drawn when suddenly - Mr. Charleson dropped dead. Now the way is clear for charity. Makes you wonder if maybe Roddy's getting his long awaited reward in heaven after all! :D

Jeanne

Subject: Re: Cricket on the Hearth

Kind of cute, isn't it! That's quite the voice he uses too. He sounds like Eliza Doolittle before her speech lessons.
Kari

> Roddy is lovely as the cricket... Crocket Cricket. And he does that
> stuttering thing too.... Anyway, it's a really great piece of work once
> you get used to the strange animation. It's not disney quality but it's
> not bad!!
>
> Monica

> Welcome Suzanne! Question: You said you have five books by Mr.
> McD. I have "Double Exposure", "D.E. Take Two", "...Take Three",
> and "...Take Four". What's the fifth one?
>
> Paige-Marie

P-M I think the fifth book is a re-worked version of the first "Double..." Benita

Hi Lynne! Another fellow Canadian fan. Welcome! Kari

> Roddy McDowall has been my favorite actor ever since I was a child
> (30+ years). Saw him once live at Hamilton Place (Hamilton,
> Ontario, Canada) in a production of "Charley's Aunt" with Vincent
> Price and Coral Browne, and he stole the show. Please update me on
> anything new regarding this wonderful performer who will be very
> much missed.
>
> Lynn M. Fletcher
> Canada

If you have the chance to pick up an extra copy or so, sure! I'd like one, and I probably won't find it. Not much success yet, anyway. Just let me know what it costs if you do.
Kari
(If you can pick an extra up, just send me your E-mail, and I'll give you my address, Paige-Marie. Thanks!)

> I found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We'll be back there
> this weekend, to Christmas shop, shall I pick up some extra
> copies???
>
> Paige-Marie

You know I watched that episode and had been watching Roddy for 10+ years and that character really scared me. Guess it struck me as him going above and beyond getting into "character".
Teresa

> As for that Fantasy Island episode. Yikes! I remember it well! I
> was 16 years old when it aired & as I recall I shook for days. Not
> because of the ridiculous plot, but just because of the surprize
> of ending up on a Saturday night watching stupid TV, hating my
> life, when my total idol shows up on one of the awful shows. Love
> Boat followed by Fantasy Island. Yes I thought they were both awful
> and embarrasing to watch. Yes I was watching them anyway. Don't
> ask. Any former 16 year old left at home on a Saturday night would
> understand. Then RM shows up all radiant and perfect and gorgeous,
> takes the role of actual Satan, as opposed to Ricardo Monelban's
> melodramatic God- Figure (hmm... which would you choose).
>
> Kathy

I remember Roddy on the Love Boat, too, Joni.

Janet S.

> Hi Morgan,
>
> What things do you have taped on Roddy? Still nothing from
> Biography on that tape on Roddy Mc:Hollywoods Best Friend. Have
> you seen it? They say it is really GOOD. I missed it when it was
> on TV because I don't get A & E channel. It is supposed to be on
> again on Dec. 22. I hope I get mine by then.

It is REALLY GOOD.

Did the list of shows I have I sent to the group go through o.k.? If not please let me know and I'll re-send it.

> By the way I am just about finished my catalog on my RM photos and
> memorabilia. Are you interested in me sending you a copy. They
> are for trade and sell.
>
> Barb

Computers are wonderful - until the screw up.

Yes I would very much like a copy of the list.

Thank you.

-- Morgan

> Our little thrice-weekly paper in the neighborhood of the original
> "Camp Swampy" (Ft. Stewart, GA- the guy who draws Beetle Bailey
> was stationed here during WWII) ran an article on "A Bug's Life"
> and it did mention Roddy as the voice of Mr. Soil. I need to make
> sure that my roommate did not drop it into the recycle bin. If it
> is still availble, I'll type it up if y'all want.
>
> Beth

         Beth, what do you mean *IF* we want??? Did you really think you had to ask? By the way, where is Ft. Stewart? Use Atlanta as a landmark if you need to. I am in SC and was just wondering about my 'Roddy' neighbor. Benita

There, I passed on your message, Morgan. I'm sure it will stir up some interest. I'm not sure what half of these shows are, but the other person will, I think. That's quite the collection of stuff there. Search 'em out for us if you get the chance! Like I said earlier, I'll gladly pay you cost and shipping for a copy of Fantasy. Speaking of which, any of you who have watched the old episodes, what do you think about the new ones with Malcolm McDowell?
Kari

> I'm about that close. I also have the other Devil episode.
>
> And I also recalled, after the episode was mentioned, that I also
> have the Love Boat episode - I believe the title of his segment is
> Don't Push Me. Unfortunately, like the Fantasy Islands I have,
> it's not the best copy. But hey a poor copy Roddy is better than no
> Roddy.

         I used to be involved in the theater a little. I don't know what they did to make children cry, but I know today they use glycerin drops, when necessary. They looks just like real tears. Years ago (before glycerin) for adults a favorite trick was to pull out a nose hair right before the scene. It would automatically make tears well up in the eyes. Gross I know, I hesitated in telling it, but there you go.

Joni

Heck, if you find the Love Boat episode too, let me know. Kari

> And I also recalled, after the episode was mentioned, that I also
> have the Love Boat episode - I believe the title of his segment is
> Don't Push Me. Unfortunately, like the Fantasy Islands I have,
> it's not the best copy. But hey a poor copy Roddy is better than no Roddy
> -- Morgan

Nobody does that *mystified look like Roddy! Lorraine

> I also love the scene in which he first meets Jesus. He is
> collecting taxes at the gate of the city and when Jesus arrives at
> the gate he asks if he has anything to declare. Jesus replies
> "Only my Father." Roddy looks mystified and starts looking around
> for Jesus' father.
> Cheryl

Could I get on this list too??? Are you looking for anything??
Teresa

> Oh, now I really want to see that one. Any luck, Morgan? Let us
> know if you find it, and what you would want in exchange for a
> copy. I love old cheesy T.V. series, and with Roddy as the Devil,
> how could I resist!

Subject: Shock Treatment

Did someone on the list once say that s/he had a copy of Shock Treatment that s/he was willing to copy?

I have been trying to see this movie for years and would gladly pay for a copy.

Thanks,
Joanne

Subject: Tribute to RM in People mag

The new year end double issue of People magazine has a decent size picture of Roddy on page 168. He is laughing, it is realy cute.
Ginny

Subject: Roddy McDowall biography

I got the first addition of Double Exposure in an old bookstore in Manhattan. Recently I purchased the updated version with a few changes made by Roddy. Both are great of course. I've seen the Hollywood's Best Friend Biography and speaking of brothers and fathers, I think Roddy resembled his father in many of the pictures shown of them together. It seems like they were a nice, close knit family which is probably why he turned out to be such a terrific person, in my opinion... what do you guys think?
Suzanne

Subject: OUCH!!!!!!

Joni,

LOL, he he, LOL... I liked the one about the nose hairs. I wish I had heard that one when I was in theater! That would have been great! I'll have to remember that when I'm coaching my kids in drama ministry from church. I'll bring a tweezer with me to rehearsals. Maybe if they know I have a tweezer they'll cry on demand! That is soooo funny! I bet it's affective because it made my eyes water reading it!
Lorraine

> I used to be involved in the theater a little. I don't know what
> they did to make children cry, but I know today they use glycerin
> drops, when necessary. They looks just like real tears. Years ago
> (before glycerin) for adults a favorite trick was to pull out a
> nose hair right before the scene. It would automatically make
> tears well up in the eyes. Gross I know, I hesitated in telling
> it, but there you go.
>
> Joni

Paige-Marie!

         Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Perhaps we should all do the same. Not all at once so that it doesn't appear as a group effort. I'll get a couple of cyber freinds not associated with our group as well, and all Musgravians and we'll make them crazy!!!!
         Could you pass that address on again Paige-Marie? Lorraine

Subject: Re: RM Books

> I don't know if there is another book in the works, but I do know
> that David Charleson won't be working on it. Since Roddy' death,
> there are plans to re-release the DE books, with all of the money
> going to charity. When David found out about this, he called and
> demanded 50% of the take, claiming that Roddy would have wanted it
> that way. Well, the battle lines were drawn when suddenly - Mr.
> Charleson dropped dead. Now the way is clear for charity. Makes
> you wonder if maybe Roddy's getting his long awaited reward in
> heaven after all! :D
>
> Jeanne

         Hmmm, he demaned 50% of money that he had to know Roddy wanted to go to charity, and then suddenly drops dead! Makes you wonder, eh???? Benita.

Subject: Re: A Bugs Life additions

Maureen,
         I was hoping to see the outakes in "A Bugs Life* tonight. My family and I are going to see it. I'll let you know if they put them in. I always stay for the credits at the end, a habit that annoys my family to no end. Lorraine

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Our barnes and noble did not have it, so I went to a comic book shop and special ordered it. The only local store that I knew carried it, closed down.
Kyoko

> I found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We'll be back there this
> weekend, to Christmas shop, shall I pick up some extra copies???
> Paige-Marie

Hopefully. Like I said, though, it better not just be a quick flash of his pic on the screen. Or I'll be forced to write a scathing letter. Yes, that's right. Scathing. :)
Kari

> "The Academy is unable to award any type of Honorary recognition
> posthumously, but because Roddy was so dear to the Academy and the
> Hollywood community, he will be recognized on the upcoming 71st
> Awards."
>
> Personally, I think this will be great and I'm happy with their
> decision. Obviously, I don't know what is meant by being
> "recognized", but I really feel like he will be mentioned in more
> then a fleeting moment.
>
> Paige-Marie

what is the email for that group? If we all email them that we want more than a mention, maybe it will happen.

Joni

Cool! If anyone sees it before others of us, let us know if its worth the price of another admission! Kari

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

         The "out-takes" were there to begin with, it's just that too few people knew about them, when I went to see it, me a couple and their two children seated behind me, and maybe a couple more people were all that stayed for them. I think this is just their way of getting people to stay. The one they keep showing with Hopper" where he is saying "Do I look crazy to you?'' was in it. Benita

I did something like that with one of those "Guide to Movies on TV" reference books. I skimmed every page looking for his name. I wrote all the Roddy movie names in a notebook, so every week I could scan the local TV listings to see if any of his movies would be on. That may explain my adversarial feelings towards Malcolm McDowell. My eyes would temporarily trip over his name in the film book every time. Imagine having that much time on your hands, now.

-Kathy

-

> I used to be involved in the theater a little. I don't
> know what they did to make children cry, but I know today they use
> glycerin drops, when necessary. They looks just like real tears.
> Years ago (before glycerin) for adults a favorite trick was to pull
> out a nose hair right before the scene. It would automatically
> make tears well up in the eyes. Gross I know, I hesitated in
> telling it, but there you go.
>
> Joni

         Joni, I've read that too, but that was for the people who lacked the talent and ability (unlike Roddy) to call upon their own emotions for tears. For some reason, maybe because he was so good at it, his characters end up crying a lot, and the tears look pretty real.....maybe the intensity of the scene helps. Don't you have a movie or a song that brings at least a few tears to your eyes? Benita

Jeanne,
         He Literally dropped dead??????
Joni

Subject: act fast

Saturday morn. at 7 am EST "Cricket on the Hearth" will be shown on FOX.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask about this little ditty, but as long as we are strolling down memory lane, but how many of you saw, and remember a commerical Roddy did for "Somminx"??? It showed one of those clapboards they used before the electronic ones, with his name written on it, someone clicks it and pulls it away to show Roddy getting caught yawning. It was one of a series fearuring celbs. And no, before anyone asks, I do not have it on tape, I did not even have a VCR in those days. It was a long time ago. Benita

Subject: tapes and parade

So it seems like everybody's cool with the $15? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

O.K. All you that e-mailed about the Fantasy Island - What else do you want on the tape? You can e-mail me directly if you'd like. My address is wolf50@earthlink.net

Is anyone out there planning to go to the '99 Rose Parade in Pasadena? If so I have a favour to ask.

-- Morgan

> > I found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We'll be back there this
> > weekend, to Christmas shop, shall I pick up some extra copies???
> >
> > Paige-Marie

         Paige-Marie, the B & N here was a bust, as was two comicbook stores. I really don't have the time to chase it down, besides, it look like it is nowhere to be had here, I called all the bookstores that carry mags and all the newsstands, so pretty please, pick up one for me...Benita bec87@bellsouth.net

Welcome, Lynn! Christina-Paige

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering if
> they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a lot of
> attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

I am really hoping that Roddy will be in some of the outtakes.
Christina-Paige
Cantisa@aol.com

Worth the price of another admission... Well, I'd go again to hear Roddy's voice but the outtakes aren't all THAT wonderful. They ARE funny but you have to sit through about 5 minutes of credits before you get to them and there's none involving Roddy.

Monica

Subject: Re: OUCH!!!!!!

I didn't say that CHILDREN should do it. sheeeeessshhhhh uh hum: "KIDS: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

Joni

Subject: RM catalogue

Hi Morgan, Yes I wlll put you on my list for the catalogue.

By the way Morgan I should be recieving my tape of RM:Hollywood's Best Friend - in about three weeks. I contacted A & E and they fixed the mixe up. FINALLY. Yes I can't wait to see it, but atleast I will get a sneak prevue on the 22nd. That will satisfy me until it comes. Thanks.

Barb.

         Oh Benita, if you only knew. I can cry at the drop of a hat. I cry at commercials, I cry when I read articles in the Newspaper, I cry when I see it snow. I was not one that needed any prompting to cry when I was in a play. BUT i couldn't control how far the tears went down my face.
Joni

Subject: webring

i was thinking since we all love roddy so much we should start a webring
TCable2105@aol.com

Oooooooowwwwwww!!!!!
Kari

> Years ago (before glycerin) for adults a favorite trick was to pull
> out a nose hair right before the scene. It would automatically
> make tears well up in the eyes. Gross I know, I hesitated in
> telling it, but there you go.
>
> Joni

> Joni, I've read that too, but that was for the people who lacked
> the talent and ability (unlike Roddy) to call upon their own emotions
> for tears. For some reason, maybe because he was so good at it, his
> characters end up crying a lot, and the tears look pretty
> real.....maybe the intensity of the scene helps. Don't you have a
> movie or a song that brings at least a few tears to your eyes?
> Benita

Hmmm... his characters DO end up crying a lot.... How interesting. I can't actually remember a single movie of his that he didn't cry in (I haven't seen more than 20 but still...). Yes, he WAS good at it, wasn't he? That always amazed me... he did it so well.

Monica

Subject: Re: Tribute to RM in People mag

> The new year end double issue of People magazine has a decent size
> picture of Roddy on page 168. He is laughing, it is realy cute.
> Ginny

Guess they realized alot of people were incensed when when they didn't give him more coverage after his passing. I hope they include another write up!
Christina-Paige

Subject: Re: act fast

I do remember that commercial. Roddy notices the camera and quickly slaps his hand over his mouth with an "ooh!" Very cute!
Janell

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

         Unless they have added "outtakes" don't hold your breath. The outtakes anyway are not the actors themselves flubbing their line, it is the BUGS flubbing theirs! They are delibetate flubs. No Roddy/Mr. Soil, but still funny....Benita

I saw the outtakes when it first came out. They were really funny! Were they going to tack on more to get the audience going again?
Kari

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Being a film freak, I always stay for all the credits. My son was not happy about this in the beginning, but he now knows that this is a part of viewing the movie. He was very happy to see the outtakes and commented about those that left and missed out. He is only 11 but I seem to have taught him that movies are to be viewed on the big screen ( at least the first time) Since he wants to see the movies more than once, he goes with his dad once and then with me.
Kyoko

> I was hoping to see the outakes in "A Bugs Life* tonight. My
> family and I are going to see it. I'll let you know if they put
> them in. I always stay for the credits at the end, a habit that
> annoys my family to no end. Lorraine

Maureen,
         Saw Bugs Life on Friday. The outakes were great! Unfortunately no "In loving memory of Roddy McDowall." That was a disappointment. Lorraine

> I saw an ad for Bug's Life last night saying that they've added
> "outtakes" at the end so it's "even funnier." (Obviously, they're
> trying to get people to come back & see it again.) I'm wondering
> if they might add something mentioning Roddy. I wasn't paying a
> lot of attention, but I think the new one will start this weekend.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Just special order it like I did. It was all sold out at the supplier and I am on back order, though.
Kyoko

> Paige-Marie, the B & N here was a bust, as was two comicbook stores. I
> really don't have the time to chase it down, besides, it look like it is
> nowhere to be had here, I called all the bookstores that carry mags and
> all the newsstands, so pretty please, pick up one for me...Benita
> bec87@bellsouth.net

I agree with Joni. Maybe we ought to apply the pressure. Lorraine

> He Literally dropped dead??????
> Joni

Joni - That's what I heard. As far as anyone knew, he wasn't even sick. I wasn't actually there, but I trust the person who told me. I'm sure a quick call to Morrow could confirm it. Strange but true! :D

Jeanne

Subject: Re: Roddy McDowall biography

Hi Suzanne,

I agree, they were a close-knit family. He adored and loved both his parents and sister very much. I have some personal pics of him with his sister and mom (and did have some that were stolen with his father) They all showed very close and stable family life.

Barb

> The new year end double issue of People magazine has a decent size
> picture of Roddy on page 168. He is laughing, it is realy cute.
> Ginny

Roddy's laughing so hard his eyes are nearly closed. Anyone else noticed that the format of the tributes in this issue of People magazine is exactly like Double Exposure? The piece on Roddy was by Shirley Temple Black.

There's also a similar listing of people who passed away this year in Entertainment Weekly's year-end double issue. There's a B&W photo of Roddy on page 112 -- kudos to anyone who can identify what film it came from. A photo from the same film, in color, is also on page 8 of a British music & movies magazine called Uncut (December 1998 issue).

There's also a short obit on page 22 of SFX#46 (Christmas 1998). This issue of the British magazine may be of interest to Dr. Who devotees.

--Mel

Me to Joni! I take the TV Guide from front to back in search for Roddy's show's. Since I was a kid in fact! It's so funny to know that someone else does the same! Though with this Musgrave connection I have had really cool updates by Mel and others so now I'm sure not to miss anything! Lorraine

> Yup that was the Love Boat episode. I remember always reading the
> TV guide like a book from cover to cover just to see a glimpse of
> his name. I always found out what shows he was in and circled
> them. I even got a thrill when he was "24 across" in the TV guide
> crossword puzzle.
>
> Joni

> I do remember that commercial. Roddy notices the camera and
> quickly slaps his hand over his mouth with an "ooh!" Very cute!
> Janell

This sounds adorable - but what commercial are you talking about??? Somehow I missed the 'original' message, I guess.
Frankie

Subject: Re: webring

> i was thinking since we all love roddy so much we should start a webring
> TCable2105@aol.com

         I am still a computer novice. what is a "webring"? Benita

Subject: movies movies!

Anyone looking to fill the gaps in their collections? Kari

JR wrote:>
> Hey, Kari, I just found a carload of Roddy movies (including some
> titles with which I'm totally unfamiliar) for sale at:
> http://www.moneyreign.com/celeb/mcdowall.html
>
> JR

I think that every year they have something where they pay tribute to all the actors that died in the preceding year. They show a small clip of them from one or two movies they've been in.

It would be nice if they did something more than that for Roddy, but I wouldn't hold my breath <g>!

Lynne Ackerman

I have always stayed to the bitter end of movies. I think it started when I stayed and saw the outtake at the end of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." It is worth staying, because of the things you learn about the movie, where it was filmed, who does the music, or how many "assistants" the stars have (lol) , etc., but if there are out takes that really adds something.
Joni

> > I do remember that commercial. Roddy notices the camera and
> > quickly slaps his hand over his mouth with an "ooh!" Very cute!
> > Janell
>
> This sounds adorable - but what commercial are you talking about???
> Somehow I missed the 'original' message, I guess.
> Frankie

If I remember correctly, it was a commercial for Nytol. It ran in the late seventies. (I too missed the original message).

Cheryl

> > I do remember that commercial. Roddy notices the camera and
> > quickly slaps his hand over his mouth with an "ooh!" Very cute!
> > Janell
>
> This sounds adorable - but what commercial are you talking about???
> Somehow I missed the 'original' message, I guess.
> Frankie

         For Sommonix" (or however you spell it) the sleep-aid. It showed one of those clapboards like they had before the electronic ones. It has his name written on it and someone is holding it up to the camera, it is "clapped" and pulled away, to catch him yawning, and as Janell says he realizes he's been caught. Benita

Ginny,
         Thanks alot for the People's magazine update. I ran right out and bought one. Christina-Paige was right. It could have been more, but I'm still thrilled to have it. It was a very personable picture and that alone was worth the run to the store! Lorraine

Subject: Roddy pictures with his family

Barb, lucky you to have those have those photos of Roddy with his family. Where did you get them, (I'm just curious), did someone you know take them? To anyone, what's up with a biography?
Suzanne

The Jan. 99 US magazine also has a tribute pic of Roddy, but it is the same one that keeps cropping up of him and Elizbeth as teenagers, running on the beach, still it is a nice pic, and fair-sized, just in case there is still someone who has not seen it. or does not have a copy. Benita

Subject: Readin the guide

> I take the TV Guide from front to back in search for Roddy's
> show's. Since I was a kid in fact! It's so funny to know that
> someone else does the same!

> > TV guide like a book from cover to cover just to see a glimpse of
> > his name. I always found out what shows he was in and circled
> > them.

Hehheehehehee. I thought I was the only fruit-loop who did that. hanks for makin' me feel sane, or at least not alone in my insanity. ;) *wink* It was my weekly ritual with the TV guide when I was young. And each week it seemed to never fail that ya'd find *at least* one movie he'd be in. And if a film I hadn't seen yet was airing during school hours, I would stay home sick. (Thermometer under the light-bulb, phony cough, whatever it took) :)

Frankie

> Me to Joni! I take the TV Guide from front to back in search for
> Roddy's show's. Since I was a kid in fact! It's so funny to know
> that someone else does the same! Though with this Musgrave
> connection I have had really cool updates by Mel and others so now
> I'm sure not to miss anything!
> Lorraine

         If TVG would just do an index of all movies, not just the premium channels, it would make our lives so much easier. Does everyone know about their on-line viewing guide?? You can plug in an actor/actress and it will list all their movies being shown in your area (you provide the zipcode) for that night, the next 3 days, or the next 7 days. That is how I found out about "Deadly Game," It is www.tvgen/tv listings.com If that does not work. try simply www. tv guide. com and follow the on-screen prompts. Benita

Ken and I are always the last ones in the theatre. We try to make the kids stay,and have to keep calling them back down the aisle.My sister has an annoying habit of cutting the end credits off movies she tapes. I have taught Emma to always wait until the credits have finished.Unfortunately, I've also gotten her hooked on letterbox editions.(They're more expensive!)
Tam

Subject: Re: RM catalogue

Barb,

Can I get on that list??

Thanks, Paige-Marie

Subject: Re: Readin the guide

Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't the only one whose education suffered because of Roddy. I used to play hookey whenever he was a guest on the "Hollywood Squares."

Cheryl

> And if a film I hadn't seen yet was airing during school hours, I
> would stay home sick. (Thermometer under the light-bulb, phony
> cough, whatever it took) :)
> Frankie

> For Sommonix" (or however you spell it) the sleep-aid. It
> showed one of those clapboards like they had before the electronic
> ones. It has his name written on it and someone is holding it up
> to the camera, it is "clapped" and pulled away, to catch him
> yawning, and as Janell says he realizes he's been caught. Benita

> If I remember correctly, it was a commercial for Nytol. It ran in
> the late seventies. (I too missed the original message).
> Cheryl

I'll be darned. Now that you describe the ad, I vaguely remember it! (oops, I'm showing my age..)

Frankie

Subject: Re: Roddy pictures with his family

Hi Suzanne, You probably heard mention in the other emails about my catalog. Well they are all listed in there. Years ago I had a friend in the movie theatre business who had a friend who worked in a film still shop. Well one day I wrote to the friend who owned the store and asked him to send anything on Roddy McDowall. Well he did. Most were the usually stills from movies, etc. but in there were some gems. Like ones with him and his family at home (more personal) you know. Don't know were he got them. Anyway some years after that I was trading with other people in different countries, and being new at the game and trusting people I set some to a person in England to look at them and copy them .But I never got them back. Lucky I didn't send them all. Also have some personal ones of back stage at Charlie's Aunty with Vincent Price and signing autographs. If you are curious about the full extent of my photo and memorabilia collection on Roddy would you like a catalog when I have completed it?
Barb

I remember those commercials very well. Roddy did one and so did Vincent Price. They were both kinda cute. And, yes, they were in the late 70s.

-- Lady Mara

Subject: my new movie finds!

I journeyed over to a new video store this morning on my way home, and discovered they had Roddy movies I couldn't find before! Yay! I rented The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Laserblast (which looks like a really high-budgeted pic! ;), and Holiday in Mexico, which I just might have to pirate. What was Roddy in Holiday? 18? Just a pup! Anyway, I have something to do now while I'm snowed in and freezing. Canada just got a first taste of winter, and it is damn cold right now!
Kari

Subject: Roddy's pic of Jimmy

Been a fan of Mr. McDowall's since jr high watching POTA films & tv show. But found out that my most fab are that of Master (good old man) Roddy. I think How Green was My Valley is one of best films that Mr. Mcdowall & John Ford did. They will never make movies like that again. Another of my fab stars of that era is Jimmy Stewart. Saw a reprint of a pic of Mr. Stewart taken by Roddy. Does anyone know if it's from one of Roddy's DE books or another sourch. I got DE 4 and it's not in there. I would be thankful for any help. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PS Both Roddy's and Jimmy's last work were voice work for a animated film. Both are missed.

DELOOMIS

could i get a copy of this catalogue
TCable2105@aol.com

Subject: The coincidence is unbearable...

HELP!!!! I'm being barricaded by coincidence!!!! Roddy, I Just read, is recorded reading "The Birthday of the Infanta" by Oscar Wilde, who just recently became my favourite writer (GENIUS!!!! GENIUSGENIUSGENIUSGENIUS!!!!) That's not the only one, but I don't feel like typing the rest(YET). May I suggest a game now: The person to find a way Roddy McDowall is connected to Edgar Allan Poe in the shortest way gets this neat little picture-thingee I found online!!

Monica

hmmm... yet another coincidence.... I've got a book with stories inspired by "Alice in Wonderland". One of the stories, intitles "Hollywood Squares", contains a character who is as much like Roddy as the author dared make him and still fit him in the story.

Monica

Subject: Cards

I haven't posted a thing in ages -- I'm afraid I tend to lurk more often than not -- but I wanted to say thanks for all the beautiful cards which were sent by the folks on the card mailing list. They've certainly added to the festive look of my fireplace mantle! I was very impressed by the Roddy advent calendar (which I am still enjoying, day-by-day) and I also liked the photo of your painting, Mel. Wish I had that kind of talent. I was also very thrilled with the little 'gift' included with the last card, a xeroxed picture of Roddy in a tree, much better than a partridge, and an old interview. Thanks to all!

Stephanie
redraven@tir.com

How did you get thosse photos?
Kyoko

> I agree, they were a close-knit family. He adored and loved both
> his parents and sister very much. I have some personal pics of
> him with his sister and mom (and did have some that were stolen
> with his father) They all showed very close and stable family life.
>
> Barb

Me too!

         I loved Hollywood Squares when Roddy was on it. Seeing Roddy as himself was a special treat. Not playing a character but seeing him as the kind man that he is. Lorraine

> Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't the only one whose
> education suffered because of Roddy. I used to play hookey
> whenever he was a guest on the "Hollywood Squares."
>
> Cheryl

> hmmm... yet another coincidence.... I've got a book with stories
> inspired by "Alice in Wonderland". One of the stories, intitles
> "Hollywood Squares", contains a character who is as much like
> Roddy as the author dared make him and still fit him in the story.
>
> Monica

Monica, YOU FORGOT TO GIVE US THE TITLE OF THE BOOK!!!!!!! Benita

> > For Sommonix" (or however you spell it) the sleep-aid. It
> > showed one of those clapboards like they had before the electronic
> > ones. It has his name written on it and someone is holding it up
> > to the camera, it is "clapped" and pulled away, to catch him
> > yawning, and as Janell says he realizes he's been caught. Benita
>
> > If I remember correctly, it was a commercial for Nytol. It ran in
> > the late seventies. (I too missed the original message).
> > Cheryl
>
> I'll be darned. Now that you describe the ad, I vaguely remember it!
> (oops, I'm showing my age..)
>
> Frankie

         Frankie, since I had admitted earlier I turned 40 this summer, I figured I had nothing to loose with asking everyone if they remembered that commerical. Benita

Subject: Re: my new movie finds!

> I journeyed over to a new video store this morning on my way home,
> and discovered they had Roddy movies I couldn't find before! Yay!
> I rented The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Laserblast (which
> looks like a real ly high-budgeted pic! ;), and Holiday in Mexico,
> which I just might have to pirate. What was Roddy in Holiday? 18?
> Just a pup! Anyway, I have something to do now while I'm snowed
> in and freezing. Canada just got a first taste of winter, and it
> is damn cold right now! Kari

         Kari, if you have "Holiday In Mexico" you had better pirate it. It is REALLY hard to find. I have looked everywhere for it. I've never even seen it, when it was on TV it was always some station I did not get. Didn't you say you wanted a copy of "Shock Treatment"? Which I just happen to have. Get the picture?? Benita

next next

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation