RMGROUP mail
March 1998

Subject: RE: RM films

LISA asked:
>Does anyone know how I might be able to get my hands on a copy of
>Unlikely Angel ? I think it was a made for T.V. special, so I don't
>think I can order it through a video store -- but it sounds pretty good.
>
>Anyway... If anyone has it on tape, I would be more than happy to supply
>a blank tape and shipping if someone could tape it for me.

        I have a copy of Unlikely Angel and would be glad to give you a copy. I can't promise you the quality. You know how it is when you copy from a copy. The quality degenerates but, like I said, I'll be glad to do it.

--Becky

Subject: RE: Six Degrees of Roddy

> Roddy to Wayne Alexander - Easy one Mel!
         Congrats Cheryl! You did it in two!! <LOL> You answered this even before i saw the question! :)

> Ponder this one - Roddy to silent film star Mary Pickford. (My father is a
> silent film buff. Personally, they give me the willies.)
         Oooooh.. That's a tuff one. She was in Star Night of the Coconut grove, with Bing Crosby. Bing was in Stagecoach with Red Buttons, who happed to live thru the Posiden Adventure with RM.
         So, I guess that makes it Mary/Bing/Red/RM. There- did it in three. Not bad, eh?

         My turn. Who can do Bob May???? Teeheehee!!!

-Paul

Subject: RE: Hello Everyone

CRAIG wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>l must of done something wrong. l sent this last weekend, but it didn't
>seem to get through. l'm new to the list, my name is Craig Pierce.
>
>Growing up in the 70's l watched many American TV shows which turned
>out to be real favourite's of mine. In the U.K. back then we only had
>three channels.
>
>Roddy turned up in many show's that were aired - Fantastic Journey,
>Columbo, Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone, The Invaders and of course
>movies.

Glad you came aboard, Craig.

...Sally..

> Roddy to Wayne Alexander - Easy one Mel!
>
> Wayne Alexander was in "Mr. Wrong" with Bill Pullman (he grew up in
> southern NY - near to my home) and Bill was in "Going Under" with
> Roddy.

Very good, Cheryl! Wayne Alexander has also guest-starred several times on Babylon 5, where Richard Biggs is a regular. Biggs was with RM in 'Unknown Origin'.

> Ponder this one - Roddy to silent film star Mary Pickford. (My
> father is a silent film buff. Personally, they give me the willies.)

Mary Pickford to Gloria Stuart (you know, old Rose in 'Titanic') in 'Hollywood on Parade No. 9' (1933). And -- this I was surprised to find out -- Gloria Stuart to Roddy in 'Flood!'. Thanks, Cheryl, I enjoyed this one.
Let's try RM to Jake Lloyd.

--Mel

O.K. Mel, Jake Lloyd was in "Jingle all the Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold was in "Scavenger Hunt" with Roddy.

By the way, I'm predicting that Gloria Stuart is going to win the oscar for best supporting actress - and I'm pretty good at picking the winners. I've ended up in a three-way tie to win the local oscar contest - only to lose in a drawing to determine first place for the last three years!!! If it happens again this year I'm picketing the offices of the newspaper that holds the contest.

Anyone else have any predictions?

Cheryl

Subject: Hollywood Salutes Easter Seals

From http://my.excite.com:80/news/bw/980304/easter-seals-gala-2

--Mel

UPDATE/ADVISORY/Stars to Come Out as "Hollywood Salutes Easter
Seals"; Taping Saturday, March 7, at Freud Theater, UCLA; Airing
Between March 28 and April 12

Wednesday, March 4 7:16 PM ET
(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE) -

WHO:    Segment hosts:  Dana Delany, Teri Hatcher, Melissa Joan Hart,
        Ernie Hudson, John Forsythe

        Musical performances:  Kevin Bacon and the Bacon Brothers

        Along with:  Loni Anderson, Pat Boone, Cyd Charisse, Ricardo
        Montalban, Harold Russell

WHAT:   "Hollywood Salutes Easter Seals," a two-hour star-studded
        entertainment special featuring a multitude of live and taped
        celebrity dedications, musical performances and special stunt
        performances, will celebrate Easter Seals' continued
        commitment to enhance the lives of people with disabilities.

        Also, Loni Anderson and Cyd Charisse will present the first
        Easter Seals Hollywood Lifetime Achievement Award, to veteran
        actor Ricardo Montalban, who has lived with a debilitating
        spinal condition for 50 years.

        There will also be a tribute to ``Star Trek'' and its
        portrayal of people with disabilities.

TAPED DEDICATIONS:

        Melanie Griffith, Antonio Banderas, Bill Cosby, Phylicia
        Rashad, Brooke Shields and the cast of ``Suddenly Susan,''
        Roma Downey, Della Reese, Brandy, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Tia and
        Tamara Mowry, Edward James Olmos, William Shatner, Kate
        Mulgrew, Jonathan Frakes, Richard Karn, Aaron Spelling, Alex
        Trebek, Kathy Buckley, Roddy McDowall, Patricia Neal, Tom Bosley

WHEN:   Saturday, March 7
        Media check-in -- 5:30 p.m.
        Taping begins -- 7 p.m.

WHERE:  Freud Theater
        University of California, Los Angeles
        North Campus (corner of Sunset and Hilgard, in McGowan Hall)
        Parking available at Lot No. 3.

CREDENTIALS:

        Requests must be faxed to Joseph Kim at 310/550-1701 by no
        later than March 6.  Requests do not guarantee credentials.
        Media credentials will be distributed after 5:30 p.m. at the
        press check-in desk. Flashes will be necessary.  Press bridge
        will be provided for broadcast use.  There will be no arrival
        coverage.

        Contact: Baker/Winokur/Ryder, Beverly Hills, Calif. Fenot
        Tekle or Chrisette Suter, 310/550-7776

Well, Paul - this took some thought. Bob May was on "Lost in Space" with June Lockhart. June was in "White Cliffs of Dover" (I loved that movie - it was so hooky and sentimental) with good ol' Roddy. Actually, she was never in any scenes with Roddy. She played Elizabeth Taylor's role as an adult. Roddy's role as an adult was played by Peter Lawford.

You got any oscar predictions??

Cheryl

PAUL wrote:
> My turn. Who can do Bob May???? Teeheehee!!!

Bob May played the Robot in the "Lost in Space" TV series, which also starred Bill "Danger, Will Robinson!" Mumy. Bill played Roddy's hitman in "Double Trouble".

So there! :-P

Let's try Maria Montez.

--Mel

Subject: Rare books

Hey Gang:

If anyone is interested in getting any of the Double Exposure books, I recently found a place on the internet called interloc.com. They deal in rare and out of print books. Unlike amazon.com they only do books and are worldwide.

I was able to get Double Exposure II and Double Exposure III through them from some dealer in Canada. Most of the books are used, but in very good condition.

I still can't find #4. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lisa

Subject: Christmas (Carol) Past

There's a good article on Roddy and Christmas Carol at http://njw4.injersey.com/entertainment/story/1,1212,40593,00.html

--Mel

Subject: RE: Christmas (Carol) Past

Thanks for sharing this with us. Great article!!!

Joni

Subject: RE: Rare books

LISA wrote:
>Hey Gang:
>I was able to get Double Exposure II and Double Exposure III through
>them from some dealer in Canada. Most of the books are used, but in very
>good condition.
>
>I still can't find #4. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Paul W. and I are also looking for this one too.

...Sally..

O.K. Mel,

Maria Montez was in "Follow the Boys" with Orson Wells. Orson was in MacBeth with Roddy.

I expected Paul to have answered this already. Are you out there, Paul?

Cheryl

Subject: Aaron Spelling Tribute

Hi everyone,

Did any body catch the whole "All-star party for Aaron Spelling" on Saturday, March 7?

Roddy wasn't an on stage saluter, but Ricardo Montabalm was up there for Fantasy Island. I missed the first half hour where Ricardo was on stage, but saw him at the end, when everybody who saluted Aaron's TV shows gathered back on stage.

I didn't see Roddy in the immediate audience. Did anybody see him out there?

...Sally..

Subject: RE: RM film credits, maybe

On 1/20/98 MEL wrote:
>The following titles are part of RM's filmography in the book Film
>Lover's Companion (ed. David Quinlan, pub. Citadel Press, ISBN
>0-8065-1892-8):
>
>         Kiss of Gold (1981)
>         Deceptions (1985, TV)
>         Shadow of Death (1987)
>         The Edison Effect (1987)
>         Prodigy (1991)
>
>Does anyone know anything about these films, and whether RM did
>appear in them? BTW, the book describes RM as smart, resourceful,
>and a scene-stealer.

According to the International Film Index 1997 - Shadow of Death and The Edison Effect were aka's for the movie called Destroyer, which was released in 1988. I can't find this movie to find out if RM was in it at all, but not likely as the book listed a guy named Kirk Robert as starring in it.

...Sally..

I remember, Lisa, I believe, told us that RM backed out of the movie "Shadow of Death" and was replaced by Anthony Perkins according to "Split Image - The life of Anthony Perkins." I skimmed the last half of the book. I forgot, so RM was not in this movie(Shadow of Death, The Edison Effect, nor Destroyer).

One more to go - Prodigy. But this guy who wrote "Film Lover's Companion" isn't batting too good, so I'm not expecting to find anything new here.

...Sally..

LISA wrote:
>Hey Gang:
>I was able to get Double Exposure II and Double Exposure III through
>them from some dealer in Canada. Most of the books are used, but in very
>good condition.
>
>I still can't find #4. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know of one of the Double Exposure books that is currently for sale in Charleston, WV. Its a big green one. I'm not sure, though, if this is the one you are looking for.

Carrie

Subject: RM birthday 6 months away

Hi guys - I've just been thinking that we should start planning what we are going to do this year for Roddy's birthday - it's only 6 months away and it's a major milestone.

Do we want to repeat last year's of signing one card (sending it around the world) or do we want to all send individual cards to one person (Roc?) and then they all get posted on.

Let's discuss.

Janeen (who's weather has finally broken from the longest, hottest, humidest, horribilest Summer known!)

Subject: RE: RM birthday

Janeen! Glad to hear that your weather has broken. We're having a mild soggy winter in the Northeast compliments of el Nino.

I'm in favor of each of us sending our own card to Roc and having her forward them. That way there's no chance of the one card getting lost in the mail. What does everyone else think?

Cheryl

Subject: RE: RM birthday 6 months away

I say we send individual cards to one person.

Janet

Being new to the group this year I am curious, could you please explain more about what is done for Roddy's birthday? ( In years past I have had my own little b'day party for him but that got lonely)

Joni, John and Guinan

I would be ok with sending a card to Roc or Sally and have them forward it. Do we plan to do anything else?

Carrie

JONI asked:

>Being new to the group this year I am am curious, could you please
>explain more about what is done for Roddy's birthday? ( In years past I
>have had my own little b'day party for him but that got lonely)

If you have web access.... check out

http://smithway.org/clan/bday/bday.htm

to see what we did two years ago. For this, those who wanted to sent me graphics to add to the collage or mailed me drawings to scan.

Last year, we mailed one card around the globe from person to person - each member signing the card and adding whatever they wanted to the package ... which was then forwarded to another member and so on until it got back to me and I mailed it off to Roddy.

To see what we finally sent to RM, go to:

http://smithway.org/clan/bcard97/

--Roc

Subject: RE: Mary Pickford documentary

>Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:35:32 -0800
>From: "John J. Flynn" <jflynn@primenet.com>
>To: S Mierop <rm_fan@ameritech.net>
>Subject: Re: Mary Pickford documentary
>
>> Question on your "Mary Pickford: A life on Film" - Is this the same
>> as the documentary "Star Power," a Roddy McDowall-hosted TV documentary
>> about the formation of United Artists in 1919 by Pickford, Charlie Chaplin,
>> Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith?
>>

>Roddy was involved in all three of these docs. I produced and edited the Mary
>piece (in which he was an interview), and I wrote and produced STAR POWER, for
>which he served as narrator. He is also an interview in our new doc LOUSIE
>BROOKS: LOOKING FOR LULU, which I serve as co-producer on.
>
>> Last question - Have these above films already been released?
>>

>Mary is owned by the Pickford Foundation, and is currently shopping about for
>an owner. STAR POWER is owned by a group of venture capitalists in Palm Springs
>who are also shopping it about. LOUISE is a co-production between us, Turner
>Classic Movies and Hugh M. Hefner. It will probably be the first to air, as TCM
>is scheduling it for early June.
>
>We've also got a doc on the DeMilles coming out on AMC in a few months.
>
>> Thank you for your time.
>

>--
>JJF :-))- :
>
>John J. Flynn - jflynn@primenet.com
>http://www.primenet.com/~jflynn

Sally Mierop

BTW I happen to like the idea of sending individual cards and having them forwarded by one person...this way we can make sure none of the cards get lost.

--Mara

Thanks for sharing those webpages. I wonder, did he respond ? I can't wait to send my card this year. tell me when and where....

joni

Subject: Negative list

From http://www.library.temple.edu/urbana/west-1.htm:

URBAN ARCHIVES

West Coast Newsnegative Collection, ca. 1936-1949
Negative List

The West Coast Negative Collection was donated to Temple University as a part of a large gift from the Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc. in 1979. The collection consists of approximately 25,000 4x5 inch photographic negatives and contact sheets. The majority of the envelopes/prints are undated and unidentified. The negatives are arranged in the original alphanumeric sequence which seems to have little to do with the actual image. The information on the envelope was handwritten and has been transposed to the inventory and corrected where possible.

The West Coast Negative Inventory and Index consists of an inventory, index by subject, and index by personal name. The information in the inventory section comprises that found on the original negative sleeves including the number, name or subject, and date. In addition we have added in parentheses information found on the back of contact prints. The "N" and "C" indicates negatives and contact prints and is followed by the photographers name(s), if any.

This collection is a result of the work of the photographic staff of the West Coast Office of MLA (Moses L. Annenberg) Publications - later Triangle Publications. The contents of the files are related to the publications of the company which included Movie and Radio Guide, Screen Guide, Click, and Racing Form as well as the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper.

Much of the collection is concerned with the motion picture industry including movie production, premieres, academy awards, movie studios, stars and starlets, stunt men, labor problems, cartoon production, etc.

Near the bottom of a rather long list is this entry:

1388A Roddy McDowell. Graduation. N/C Davis 6/19/46
--Mel

Subject: Re: Negative list

From LadyMara <LadyMara@aol.com>

Then I wonder why is Roddy's last name mispelled???

Subject: CBS This Morning

According to the webpage at http://www.burrelles.com/services/tmor9712.htm, subjects covered on the December 4, 1997 telecast of the CBS show "This Morning" included 'Hal Linden and Roddy McDowall discuss playing Scrooge in the musical "A Christmas Carol"'. Since no one's mentioned this, I take it none of us was lucky enough to see this.

BTW, they're selling the transcript at $11 per program.

--Mel

Subject: Gypsy of the Year

From http://www.bcefa.org/events/gypsy.htm:

The Gypsy of the Year competition is the culmination of six weeks of fundraising for BC/EFA during the fall, during which Broadway and Off-Broadway shows engage in friendly competition to see which show can raise the most money.

Repeatedly cited by the press and theatre community as the season's most dazzling talent show, this event highlights New York's most accomplished gyspsies - chorus members from Broadway and Off Broadway shows - in a series of show-stopping dances, original songs, comedy numbers and outrageous lampoons of the theatre's biggest hits. Each year, awards are presented to the show that raises the most money for BC/EFA, as well as to the gypsies who have created and presented the event's most entertaining performances.

Held on December 1 & 2, 1997 - The Ninth Annual GYPSY OF THE YEAR Competition raised $1,335,313.18 for BC/EFA, the most ever raised for this competition surpassing last year's total of $1,262,633.40.

A record 58 shows participated in this year's fundraising efforts. The Fundraising Award goes to the company which raised the most money. This year's winner was Rent, which brought in a whopping $107,000. The first runner-up was Titanic, raising $86,000; the second runner-up, very close behind with $85,000, was The Phantom of the Opera, and the third runner-up was Miss Saigon which raised a total of $66,000. The Off-Broadway winner this year was the As Bees in Honey Drown company which raised over $16,000. This year's Gypsy of the Year Award, for best presentation, was given to the company of The Lion King, for its moving dance piece entitled "Feel Love."

Hosting honors were shared by Jonathan Hadary (host of the ceremonies for the first six years) and Lea DeLaria, who starred in the smash-hit revival of On the Town in the Park last summer.

Highlights of the show included:

The company of Titanic strutting in a Fosse-style, Chicago-esque account of the night of the great ship's disaster in a number called "All That Ice."

The real Linda Blair and a cast of celebrity look-alikes (Rosie O'Donnell, Lucy Lawless, Brooke Shields, Jon Secada, etc.) poking fun at the infamous revolving-door celebrity star-turns in the current long-running revival of Grease!

A Christmas Carol's Hal Linden and Roddy McDowell appearing as Siamese twin Scrooges, joined at the hip in an hilarious send-up of Sideshow.

There's a photo of Roddy and Hal doing their Siamese twin act.

--Mel

Subject: Totally totally!!

Hello Gang!

By now, many of you are already aware that A&E is in the process of filming an episode of "Biography" about our very own Roddy McDowall.

(It's about bloody time!)

What you may not know, is that they have contacted me and asked me to assist in providing some information and giving suggestions for the episode.

In fact, tomorrow, Sunday, at noon, I am having lunch with the production manager and producer of the series.

Point: they are *not* interviewing me, and, so far as I know, I will not be included as part of the actual episode. What they want from me is my collection of stills, posters, lobby cards, and other RM collectibles -- they wish to take pictures and shoot some film of these items for use in the episode. They also want me to suggest some of the celebrities that they should approach for interviews (can you believe it, they wanted to interview someone from the cast of Camelot - and were bemoaning the fact that Richard Burton was dead and that Julie Andrews was unavailable.... so they couldn't get anyone from Camelot. Says I to them, "Isn't Robert Goulet still alive? He played Lancelot, after all." "Oh my god!" declared Lawrence, the production manager, "Why didn't we think of that?!")

At most, my name will appear in the closing credits (along with countless others) under the "materials contributed by...." or "assistance provided by...." heading. Careful, if you blink you'll miss it. Actually, I'm thinking of asking them to either use my name *and* "The Musgrave Foundation" or just the foundation only.

As you can imagine, I am very excited about this (and more than a little nervous). The episode is supposed to be completed by the end of April, but I don't know when it's supposed to air yet.

Naturally, as I learn more about this, I will keep you all informed.

Of course, I have these lofty hopes and dreams that *maybe* .... just *maybe* I might actually get to FINALLY meet RM in person through this.... but most likely not. Shrug. Who knows. Maybe when the A&E people find out that I've never actually met him, they might arrange a meeting for me. Then again, maybe not. I don't know. Frankly, I'm honored just to be a small part of this project, and no reward at all would be fine with me.

Well, that's about it. I'll know more tomorrow evening... Believe me, as soon as I get back from the meeting I will set it all down in print and forward the message to you all.

Wish me luck!

--Roc

Subject: Meeting with Biography people

Well, despite the fact that I went to bed after midnight, I still woke up a good three hours before my alarm went off. I started pacing right off the bat, imagining I now knew what it's like to be an expectant father...

I had to shower. I had to do laundry and pick out which clothes to wear. Did I have time to get a hair cut first? Was I, maybe, a little too nervous? Making mountains out of molehills? Yeah, probably... but what the heck, it's fun.

The hour of departure loomed near and my clothes were still in the dryer so I paced some more and called up Nancy (of this list) to kill fifteen minutes until my clothes were dry and I had to leave.

My friend Sam had asked if she could come with me, and I'd phoned Lawrence (the Associate Producer) the night before to see if that would be okay. He had said "Sure, great!" So when it came time to leave, Sam and I gathered up those pieces of my collection I'd been able to dig out of storage and headed for Tinseltown.

Traffic came and went... sometimes it looked like we'd be hours late, other times the road was wide open.

We got there, at the corner of Sunset and Vine, about 20 minutes early ... found a place to park, wandered a bit, then headed over to the building.

Whoops.

Which building?

I had left the address at home.

Groan.

I knew the office was on the 14th floor, so that narrowed the possibilities down to two. When the security guard at the first building only blinked at me when I said "Van Ness Films?" we deduced it must be the other building across the street.

We got there, promptly at noon, and Lawrence was waiting for us in the lobby.

After exchanging greetings, he led us upstairs to the Van Ness Films offices (where Sam and I both made quick use of the restrooms... the trip up having been long, and the coffee having been plentiful). We chatted a bit, and Lawrence looked over the goodies I had brought for them. About half way through the looking, the Producer arrived (late, as she had gotten stuck in traffic). Unfortunately, I don't remember her name - and neither does Sam.

We chatted some more; they talked about the various things that go into making one of these Biography episodes and asked a few questions about what the fans considered the "quintisential" RM film.

Dana: they asked about you by name... I guess they came across your name in conjunction with an RM fanclub and wondered if you were affiliated with us in any way. :-)

They also asked about Sally, Mel, and Nancy ... as those names all appear on various pages of the website.

After putting my posters, etc., under lock and key, they brought out a handful of videos -- copies of other Biography episodes they thought I might be interested in. These included: Vincent Price, Carol Burnett, Movie Monsters, and Jane Russell. When they found out Sam was a big Paul Newman fan, they got a copy of his Biography out and gave it to her.

They also promised to make me a copy of the old "This Is Your Life" episode that was done on Roddy McDowall -- and, yes, as soon as I get the tape from them I will take "orders" for copies for those of you who want one.

At lunch, we talked some more about the ups and downs of their work... the struggles of working on such limited budgets (A&E apparently provides them with *very* minimal funds to produce these programs), and how much they depend on fan input whenever possible. Turns out, they were just as excited about finding us as I was about being found!

Some of the people they have already contacted about doing bits for RMs biography are:

Dickie Moore
Dolly Parton
Angelica Houston
Carol Burnett
Julie Andrews
Andy Griffith
Lauren Bacall
Jane Powell
Angie Dickinson
Dean Stockwell

... and others.

They think that the RM Biography, which has to be completed by the end of May, will be aired sometime in the Fall. When they have a more definite date, they will let me know... and I, of course, will pass that information on.

They asked how I had come to be an RM fan, what my favorite film was, what things I might want to see covered in the episode... fishing for a different point of view on things.

The hardest question they had for me was "Who would you say is the quintisential Roddy McDowall fan or fan club?"

I laughed.

"Well," I replied, "in all honesty, I think just about everyone on the mailing list would be willing to fight for that title."

Not only was I confident that answer was true, but I thought it was clever way of getting out of having to name any one person. After all, it's entirely a matter of perspective.

At least three times, they asked if I had ever met RM in person... and at least three times I told them no, not really. When they asked this during lunch, I swear a saw Lawrence and She-Who's-Name-I-Can't-Recall exchange a vaguely conspiritorial look.... so who knows? I haven't got my hopes up, mind you, (well, not *too* high anyway) ... but maybe I'll luck out and they'll arrange something. Shrug. Pray.

Well, that's about it, really. Most of what else we talked about wasn't related to RM or Biography... we just talked about various things here and there and life in general.

I will continue to keep all of you informed with any and all information they provide me.

Oh, one more thing.... Martin Scorsese, it would appear, has re-mastered Tam Lin and it should be released -- either theatrically or on video -- some time in the upcoming months.

That's it for now!

More later!

--Roc

Subject: Re: Totally totally!!

that is sooooooo awesome,roc!!!!!!! when is it airing,and can you make a copy for me,i don't think i get a&e. :-(. congrats babe. i hope you get to meet him and get your piccy taken with him so you can put it up on the page somewhere. /me is happy for roc and does the extremly happy dance. couldn't happen to a nicer person. :-). i had no idea that a biography was being made about rm,always thought there should be one though,that is sooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats,roc!!!!!!

hugs,
tami. :-)

oh my god, what i wouldn't give to be you
i just love roddy to death!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Sabryna136@aol.com

> that is sooooooo awesome,roc!!!!!!! when is it airing,and can you make a
> copy for me,i don't think i get a&e. :-(. congrats babe. i hope you get to
> meet him and get your piccy taken with him so you can put it up on the page
> somewhere. /me is happy for roc and does the extremly happy dance. couldn't
> happen to a nicer person. :-). i had no idea that a biography was being
> made about rm,always thought there should be one though,that is sooooo
> cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats,roc!!!!!!
> hugs,
> tami. :-)

Tami!

Thank you very much!

Part of what makes all this so wonderful and thrilling is having all of you out there to share it with me. It would be a hollow and sad thing indeed if no one but myself got any joy out of this.

Thank you again for your support!

--Roc

Subject: Re: Meeting with Biography people

Thanks for sharing, roc. I am looking so forward to watching it. and put me first on your list of people who want the "This is your life" tape.

Joni

JONI wrote:

> put me first on your list of people who want the "This is your life" tape.

Be glad to, Joni.... but you (and anyone else who wants a copy) will have to send me your mailing address (if you don't mind, throw in your phone number, too, i'm trying to update my membership files here....)

--Roc

> oh my god, what i wouldn't give to be you
> i just love roddy to death!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> from Sabryna136@aol.com

Well, now, calm down Sabryna....

;->

I haven't actually *met* him yet.... And I may not. But if I do, believe me I will make a point of mentioning how much *everyone* on this list admires and respects him.

--Roc

Good luck, Roc

You should remind the producers that RM has a lot of English fans too!!! If I can be of any help or assistance, please let me know.

Love Mo x

MAUREEN wrote:

> Good luck, Roc
>
> You should remind the producers that RM has a lot
> of English fans too!!! If I can be of any help or
> assistance, please let me know.
>
> Love Mo x

I was very proud to point out that our little collection of RM fans spanned 4 countries across the globe (used to be 5 until Mel moved here to the states).

One of the things that I think they are looking for to use on the show is some of the old magazines that RM appeared in ... especially things with him as a teen... and other non-typical memorabilia (poster, stills, etc., being standard ... a Roddy McDowall lunch box being non-standard). If anyone out there has anything like that they would be willing to trust to the film crew, let me know and I will tell Lawrence to contact you. What they basically offer is use of your (item) in exchange for your name in the closing credits.

--Roc

Subject: forgot to mention

Forgot to mention... the person writing/overseeing the script for the RM Biography episode is Virginia Price -- daughter of Vincent Price and long time friend of RM.

--Roc

Subject: Re[2]: forgot to mention

> > Forgot to mention... the person writing/overseeing the script for the RM
> > Biography episode is Virginia Price -- daughter of Vincent Price and long
> > time friend of RM.
> >
> > --Roc
>
> That ought to be good, then. I knew Roddy was close to Vincent. I
> didn't know about Virginia, though - only Victoria.
>
> --
> Dana Holland

Alright, alright.... Smart Alec! :->

I stand corrected, *Victoria* Price is the writer.... (hey, i got the V part right, anyhow....)

;-)

--Roc

Subject: RM at BAFTA Party

The news article can be viewed in its entirety at either http://www.latimes.com/CNS_DAYS/980323/t000027951.html or http://www.hollywood.com/news/topstories/03-23-98/html/1-2.html

--Mel

Monday, March 23 1998
Oscar Weekend's Partying Overflows at the Beach
by Bill Higgins, Special To The Times

It's become an Oscar weekend ritual for film glamour to spend Saturday at the beach.

The draw to the Pacific comes from two separate events that take place a hundred yards from each other: the Independent Feature Project/West's Independent Spirit Awards, which fills a massive tent in a Santa Monica shoreline parking lot, and the tea party hosted by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts/Los Angeles at Shutters Hotel.

[snip]

The presentation of the last Spirit Award segues nicely into the start of BAFTA/LA's tea party. It's only a short walk up the coast to Shutters and, in one studio exec's words, "the patina of the classy British thespian thing."

The British, as would be expected, do things differently. First of all, they're indoors and downstairs, as though March weather is something to be protected against. It's also more subdued than the Spirit Awards. "An oasis of decorum in the midst of chaos," in film critic Leonard Maltin's words.

Since there are no awards here, it's pure schmooze. "A jolly," in one Englishman's words. Tea and crumpets are served, and because the sound system was broken, brief remarks by Roddy McDowall, co-chairwoman Su Lesser and British Consul Paul Diamond were shouted. It's impressive that a theatrical tradition of being able to project into the balcony extends even to the diplomatic service.

The tea's purpose is to honor Oscar nominees, and a few including Helena Bonham Carter, James L. Brooks, Kim Basinger, Atom Egoyan, Robert Forster and Curtis Hanson were seen in the crowded, windowless room that became progressively warmer and more oxygen-deprived. After an hour, the only patina was of perspiration and the crowd began to thin.

"Any kind of event like this is great for an actor," said Peter Fonda, who went to both parties. "Actors get so much rejection in their lives that anything like this where you get some recognition is wonderful."

Copyright 1998 / Los Angeles Times

Subject: Wow!

You lucky, lucky person you! When they asked you if you'd ever met RM, you were supposed to sigh really deeply, and look really pitiful and whisper, "No, no I haven't", then pull out a handkerchief. Oh well. If you should be so lucky, Roddy has many fans here in Canada as well.

Bye
Kari

> I was very proud to point out that our little collection of RM fans
> spanned 4 countries across the globe (used to be 5 until Mel moved
> here to the states).

You could always say there's an alien in the group.

--Mel

Subject: This Is Your Life

QUALITY OF THE RECORDING:

         According to Lawrence, the video tape of "This Is Your Life" is not of very good quality -- so don't expect a crystal clear image. I have no idea how old this program is, nor where they got their copy from. If I can get ahold of an image enhancer, I'll try to improve the picture somewhat... in case I can't, though, I just wanted everyone to be forewarned.

WHAT YOU'LL GET:

         There's bound to be room on each video tape (even at the best speed) for more than *just* the "This Is Your Life" episode, I thought I might as well throw on a few other RM tidbits I've collected over the time and that I think you all might enjoy.

Mike Douglas interview
RMs bits from various "Biography" episodes.
Entertainment Tonight interview

THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE HAVE REQUESTED A COPY OF "THIS IS YOUR LIFE" TAPE:

Mel Santos

Paul Worley

Tami Joeris

Kris Birch

Yalita Bennett

Nancy Babb

If your name is not on this list, please e-mail me your request again (including your mailing address and telephone number). IF YOU LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY which uses a different format of video tape (such as england) -- you can still get a copy of the tape. E-mail me with your format type, and I can get a copy converted for you at a local store for $15 (american).

--Roc

Subject: RE: This Is Your Life

HEIDI wrote:

> Dear Roc,
>
> Hi. I'd love to see a copy of the This is Your Life program, as well as
> the other 'tidbits' you mentioned. Are you charging for it, or do you want
> a blank tape? Just let me know. Thanks.

Actually, unless the postage rates turn out to be too expensive, I was planning on doing these tapes as more or less of a gift to those who want it... Unless, of course, I get 40 requests!!

If it looks like it's going to cost more than I can afford, I will let everyone know.

--Roc

Subject: bad Roc

Hello Gang!

I've been a *bad* list maintainer lately, I'm afraid...

We have several new members whom I have never bothered to introduce or announce.

For those of you who are not compulsive header readers and/or don't frequent the clan/contact page (where the list of active group members resides), our newest members are:

      Craig Pierce.........................craig.pierce2@ukonline.co.uk

      Steve and Karen Gulvezan.............tricky_woo@email.msn.com

      Douglas Brown........................abrownd@aol.com

      Judith...............................OdoGoddess@goplay.com

      Penny Rowe...........................jlrowe@magna.com.au

      Thomas Hay...........................thay@kpmg.com

      Maureen Lynch........................maureenlynch@kpmg.com

      Rhonda Conklin.......................rhonda1@rocketmail.com

Now, I'm not too sure about Thomas because most of the messages sent out to his address keep bouncing back. Everyone else, though, as far as I can tell, are present and accounted for.

You new "kids" -- speak right up! Jump right in! Tell us a bit about yourselves....

--Roc

Subject: Oscars

Hello everyone,
l watched the Oscars, and l'm 99% sure Roddy was there in the audience.
He was on the screen only for a second or two (maybe).
Did anyone else see him? or was l mistaken?

thanks
Craig.

Hey Roc,

You think this might mean an RM dinner/convention after all? :]

Janet

Subject: Hello

Hi!

I just joined the group yesterday & thought I'd jump in with a quick into. I'm another Maureen (it looks like you've already got one) & a HUGE RM fan. (OK, OK, who isn't?) I got hooked long ago after Planet of the Apes & Thief of Bagdad, where he was just charming. I love the great classic actors who have class & charm (Ricardo Montalbon & Leon Ames are also big favorites).

I have to say that I'm really impressed with the RM site. I've seen many others but none as thorough or well-done as this one. It's exciting to hear about the Biography segment. I'll be looking forward to it--and to hear whether Roc meets RM in person.

Quick question--USA Today on Tuesday had a nice picture of RM with Louise Rainer, & there was a brief shot of them in the into to the Academy Awards (called him a "film legend"). Does anyone know whether any pics are available from the Academy Awards on the Web? I tried the official Oscar site but can't get the Red Carpet arrivals to go past the I's.

Well, that's enough for now. Looking forward to hearing from you on the list.

- Maureen

PAM wrote:

>Roc,
>
>You lucky lady. I hope you get to meet Roddy.
>
>If you do, remember:
>
>Don't stand and stare, speak to him.

         But... but... but... What if I stutter?

>Don't drool, it makes a bad impression.

         Okay. Mouth closed. No drooling.
         Hmmm... isn't that going to make talking difficult?

>Don't handcuff yourself to him when you shake hands.

         Awww... Pam, you take *all* the fun out of things!

;->

--Roc

Subject: RE: Oscars

Roddy was there, Craig. In fact, they showed him standing outside before the thing began. I can't remember who he was standing with. He had on that red scarf he wears.

--Janet

> Hello everyone,
> l watched the Oscars, and l'm 99% sure Roddy was there in the
> audience.
> He was on the screen only for a second or two (maybe).
> Did anyone else see him? or was l mistaken?
>
> thanks
> Craig.

No. Craig, you weren't wrong... He was the first celeb they showed-with his lovely red scarf and I caught a quick shot later. I taped the thing in case it did its usual overtime thing, so I have it on film.

Beth

> Roddy was there, Craig. In fact, they showed him standing outside
> before the thing began. I can't remember who he was standing
> with. He had on that red scarf he wears.
>
> --Janet

I can't think of her name, either. I'll go back to the tape and check. I know she co-starred with hime in something when he was a "bit" younger.

Beth

> >Don't stand and stare, speak to him.
>         But... but... but... What if I stutter?
         Talk slow and relax.

> >Don't drool, it makes a bad impression.
>         Okay. Mouth closed. No drooling.
>         Hmmm... isn't that going to make talking difficult?
         Well, it's ok to drool if you're wearing one of those mouth buckets... but that wouldn't make much of an impression either... :)

         If you do, WHEN you do, You'll be fine!

-Paul

Subject: RE: bad Roc

> I've been a *bad* list maintainer lately, I'm afraid...
> We have several new members whom I have never bothered to introduce or
> announce.

         Shame, shame, Roc! Depriving us of our new friends!

Welcome everyone!!!

-Paul

Subject: Another new member

Please add me to your Roddy McDowall mailing list. I have been a fan for over 41 years (since I was 10) and it would be nice to finally be able to keep up with his activities. He's so low key that over the years, it's been really hard to find out anything about him. I hope this E-Mail will keep me better informed.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help me keep my fantasy going.

Sue Hailson

Paul? Mel? Are you out there?

How about a nice game of 6 degrees of Roddy? Link Roddy to Luise Rainer - the lady that he escorted to the Academy Awards.

I can do it through one other actor.

Cheryl

Subject: 1 degree of RM

One of the newbies again...

Instead of the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, I think there can be the 1 degree of RM. And speaking of that---

As I looked at the list of new members, I noticed the other kpmg.com address. It got my attention, and when I looked at the name, Thomas Hay, it turned out to be the guy I replaced at KPMG. Yes, I'm sitting at Tom's desk, using his old computer, and just recently got his nametag taken down and mine put up. Tom and I are both Librarians, and he recently left to go to a law firm (so, Roc, there's a reason your messages are bouncing back from him). But judging from his co-workers here and the people who still call looking for him, he's a really nice guy. Maybe I'll get to meet him sometime, especially since it turns out we're both RM fans.

Does that count as a RM encounter?

Maureen Lynch

PAUL wrote:

> (roxanne wrote:)
> > I've been a *bad* list maintainer lately, I'm afraid...
> > We have several new members whom I have never bothered to introduce or
> > announce.
>
>         Shame, shame, Roc! Depriving us of our new friends!

(hanging her head)

I know, I know... I am scum... Surely not worthy....

Sigh.

> Welcome everyone!!!

Yeah, what he said!

--Roc

I too saw RM in the audience at the Oscars.

Mo x

Subject: RE: Hello

> Paul? Mel? Are you out there?
         Always here... lurking, ready to punce!

> I can do it through one other actor.
         Who would that actor be???
         Both of them were guest stars in the series Combat! So if you want to get technical, i can do it in zero. :)

-Paul

CRAIG wrote: > Hello everyone,
> l watched the Oscars, and l'm 99% sure Roddy was there in the audience.
> He was on the screen only for a second or two (maybe).
> Did anyone else see him? or was l mistaken?

Yup. He was most definitely there. They showed him at the beginning, wearing that tux with the red lining and escorting some lady whose identity I'm just not sure of. Then they flashed a shot of him in the audience during the ceremonies.(A nice change from the repeated shots of Ah-nuld Shwartsewhatever that the camera men kept throwing in.)

Kari

Subject: RE: RE: Hello

Paul,

I linked Roddy and Luise through Marcelle Corday who was in The Pied Piper with Roddy and in The Great Zigfeld with Luise.

Were Roddy and Luise in the same episode of Combat together? I was totally unaware of this series and had to look it up to see what it was. So, I guess you win this one.

That gives you the right to select the next linkee.

Cheryl

Subject: Yet ANOTHER new member

Rhonda Conklin <rhonda1@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>I am sending this message to join the RM fan club.

To which I gave the standard reply, along with the "how-to" text file.... (if any of you are wondering what this was, you may have joined the list before i wrote the text file - if you're truly interested in what it says, let me know and i'll e you a copy).

At any rate, Rhonda should be reading this right now, so let me be the first to "formally" WELCOME her to our little menagerie!

--Roc

Well, there's a photo of RM and Luise Rainer at http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/ae/movies/oscar98/photos/photo3.html. Unfortunately, Rainer is blocking our full view of RM.

--Mel

> > I can do it through one other actor.
>         Who would that actor be???

Hans Conreid? He was in 'Dramatic School' with Luise Rainer and in 'Cat From Outer Space' with RM.

>         Both of them were guest stars in the series Combat! So if you
>         want to get technical, i can do it in zero. :)
> -Paul

Huh? Were they in the same episode? I don't remember a female guest star in Roddy's episode. C'mon, Paul, it doesn't count as a zero if they weren't in the same episode. You'll have to connect them first through the series regulars. Sorry, guy, I'm in a Combative mood today. :-)

--Mel

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation