RMGROUP mail
November 1998

Subject: Double Exposure

I'd love to see a Double Exposure type of biography for Roddy. His friends could contribute photographs of Roddy that they took, then write commentary about him. It'd really be appropriate -- a double tribute to him.

We can do the same thing, too. Scan any photographs we have of him, write how we became a fan or a personal-encounter story, then put the whole thing in the Foundation homepage. Maybe print and send copies to Virginia and Elizabeth.

--Mel

Subject: Re: (Fwd) join RM GROUP

Hi Barb!
It's great to have you with the group. Lorraine

Subject: Re: David Eddings fans?

Pam,
         Roddy was 38 in Lord Love A Duck. And I think that was the age he looked best! Or is it because we are presently at that age he was in the movie? Hmmmmm. Do we have a trend building here?
Lorraine

> Did I do my math correctly? Was Roddy really 38yrs old when he
> very convincingly played a high school senior? Wow, he looked
> GREAT in that film!
>
> pamela :-)

> Here's a thought I've had for years and never shared with anyone.
> Are any of you David Eddings fans? For those of you not familiar
> with Eddings, he's an author of primarily fantasy books. My
> favorite series are his "Belgariad" and the "Mallorean" books.
>
> From the first time I read these books I've pictured our hero as
> the character Prince Kheldar (or Silk). He's a sharp witted
> outrageous merchant prince/spy character. As I was watching Lord
> Love a Duck for the first time tonight the image of Roddy as Silk
> was really solidified.
>
> pamela :-)

Augh! That is so weird, Pamela! I grew up just in love with those books (still have 'em here. I still pick one up when I'm tired of crunching Chaucer and Milton for my classes. It's thanks to books like those that I am an English major.) What's even weirder is that I too loved Silk the best from Eddings' novels! Kheldar was always my favorite! I never thought about it, but he does have the same characteristics as Roddy. Guess we go for the slender, clever type, huh? I just saw the first commercial on television for a Bug's Life. It looks great, and I'm hoping it kicks Antz (I HATE Woody Allen.) Somehow, I am just hoping that Roddy's last film is a big success. I'll be there on opening night! (Trust me, Pamela!) ;)
Kari

Subject: Re: Just a bunch of stuff

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else. A very well-written, tastefully done article!

> TAM wrote:
> > Did everybody get their Vanity Fair?Good article and pictures.
>
> Got two copies today. I agree -- good article and pictures
> (almost > missed the one on page 96); I just had to smile at his
> expression in that Malibu photo. I hereby nominate Dominick Dunne
> as Roddy biographer (maybe he and Dick Moore can collaborate).
> Anybody got an address where we can write Dunne? hmm, maybe c/o
> Vanity Fair ... to thank him for the article. Reading good pieces
> like Dunne's just whets my appetite for more.
>
> --Mel

Lynne Ackerman

Still haven't found anybody that carries Vanity Fair. Maybe its not available in Canada? That would be my luck.
Kari

Subject: Re: Double Exposure

> I'd love to see a Double Exposure type of biography for Roddy. His
> friends could contribute photographs of Roddy that they took, then
> write commentary about him. It'd really be appropriate -- a double
> tribute to him.
> --Mel

What an excellent idea!

Cheers, Frankie

Kari, I'll be happy to pick up a copy of Vanity Fair for you. Just e-mail me your address at: RNSRUS@webtv.net
I'll mail it to you. I'll pick it up on the way to work tonight.

Here's an address for Dominick Dunne:
1350 Ave. of the Americas,
32nd Floor
New York, N.Y. 10019
I wonder how we could get him to write Roddy's biography? Wouldn't it be great if Mr. Dunne would be willing to share some of his favorite stories about Roddy with us via e-mail? After reading his article , I also wanted more! I'd have gven my next paycheck,(well most of it anyway), to have been there to hear Roddy's impersonation of Johnny Cocran!

Janet C

> Still haven't found anybody that carries Vanity Fair. Maybe its
> not available in Canada? That would be my luck.
> Kari

Good idea Mel!
         By the way, Roc. Did you ever receive your bio? I was having problems with my E Mail for a while so I don't know if you had received it.
         Thankyou Pamela for your card. I'll be in Tempe Arizona around Christmas time so maybe we can get together for coffee. I would love to chat Roddy over coffee with a fellow Musgravian in person. If your interested let me know and I'll give you my mothers phone number. We'll be there Dec. 26 thru Dec 30.
         Samantha and Tammy, I mailed your bio's last but I don't remember there being two bio's even though I had addressed two. If you one of you does not receive your bio this week let me know. I'll send it off again. Sorry for any inconvenience. What can I say, I'm an airhead.
Lorraine

That's weird, I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe it was just my odd brain working. But I guess it's true - Great minds do think alike.

-- Morgan

> I'd love to see a Double Exposure type of biography for Roddy.
> His friends could contribute photographs of Roddy that they took,
> then write commentary about him. It'd really be appropriate -- a
> double tribute to him.
>
> --Mel

Mel,
         The idea for a Roddy book sounds great! I have another reason now to get this scanner running!
Tam

Subject: RMList

Hi, I Love Roddy McDowall! I Would really like to learn and hear as much about him as possible! So of couse I must join this fan club! Thank you so much!
Courtney Ferris

Lynne got hers, so Vanity Fair must be available in Canada. Is anybody else ahving a hard time finding it?
Tam

Subject: Re: Vanity Fair

Cheryl,
It was about three or four pages long,so the best I can do is to send you a photocopy if you can't find it. Let me know.You will probably want a copy though, since it contains a great, fairly big colour picture of him.Still, let me know if you need a photocopy.Our Waldens had a few more copies. If anybody wants to send me the four dollars and a couple of dollars for postage I can send you one. They had at least three more I think. Anybody interested can email me at my private address: kwsedam@aol.com
Tam

Subject: Re: Oops!

> Pardon my ignorance, but HUH????!
> Kari
> > Anybody for a game of poker?

         I can tell SOME people aren't Trekkies!! teehee!!! <G!> Gee Kari, Where have you been for the last10 years???

Paul Worley

Subject: Re: Roddy at 38

Yes! Roddy was at his prime in his late thirties and early fourties.It was about then that he really 'grew into his face',so to speak. Alot of men don't seem to get their 'real' face until then. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt Roddy looked his best then, and I'm only now 36.It's not a general rule with me, it's just Roddy.
         Oh, and as Mel mentioned, there is another picture of Roddy in that Vanity Fair besides the ones in the article,so don't anybody just tear the article out and get rid of the rest of the magazine unless you rescue that one first! I LOVE the way he looks in that picture with the velour shirt! Talk about your prime Roddy!

Tam

Subject: DreamWatch

Issue #51 (November 1998) of DreamWatch, a British magazine devoted to science fiction and fantasy, has a half-page article on Roddy's passing. It's a short piece, on page 14, nothing new really, but it's got a fabulous color photo from the August 27, 1998 screening of Planet of the Apes at AMPAS. He looks only about 50 years old in the photo!

Even better, the ad for the next issue of the magazine says, "We pay tribute to Roddy McDowall and celebrate 30 years of Planet of the Apes." Yay! DreamWatch #52 will be out in the UK on November 19, and will probably appear in the US another two weeks later.

I usually get my copy of the magazine at my local comics shop. If you can't find it, contact information as follows --

UK office:
Suite 6, The Image Centre, 9 Jew Street, Brighton BN1 1UT
email: dreamwatch@dreamwatch.co.uk
tel: (01273) 232922
fax: (01273) 232923

US office:
PO Box 48348, Los Angeles, CA 90048
email: dreamwatch@earthlink.net

DreamWatch online: http://www.dreamwatch.co.uk

--Mel

Subject: New Member/VANITY FAIR

Welcome Barb! Thanks for the info on your RM material.

Wonderful article in VANITY FAIR. A glass of wine in one hand and a morphine drip in the other. Just when I think I can't admire him any more than I already do....

Paige-Marie

> Still haven't found anybody that carries Vanity Fair. Maybe its
> not available in Canada? That would be my luck.
> Kari

Kari, I can't imagine a major newsstand in Canada that *wouldn't* carry Vanity Fair. Do you have a Lichtman's or Great Canadian News near you? Both of them will carry it. Vanity Fair is a major, mainstream publication, so look for it even in the bus or train station. And if you don't see it, *ask* for it.

Lynne Ackerman

Subject: Re: VANITY article/RM stuff

Dear Paige-Marie;
Thank you for welcoming me to the group, sorry for any delay in replying to emails..This is my busy season with my own graphic company so I am doing alot of window designs re: Christmas. But I will answer as quickly as possible.

Any particular material you are interested in just give me a line. I am just in the process of compiling an index catalog of all my RM stuff. It is too numerous to mention: from photos, posters, postcards, pressbooks, even bio books on RM. Actually I have started doing a book on Roddy's life in pictures and info.I have available.

> Wonderful article in VANITY FAIR. A glass of wine in one hand and
> a morphine drip in the other. Just when I think I can't admire
> him any more than I already do....

Yes, I agree the article was wonderful-and that Roddy was a man of dignity and humour to the end. I hope Dominick will eventually do a professional bio on Roddy. I think it would be a best seller.

Barb

Subject: Re: Roddy Photos,etc

Dear Mel and RM GROUP:
Thank you for welcoming me, I have found the group extremely interesting so far. Sorry for the delay in replying to your emails...This is my very busy seasons in my graphic co. doing alot of window paintings, etc. I will try and reply as quick as possible.

As for the RM photos and stuff I have are too numerous and has taken me 30 yrs. to compile.Don't get me wrong I am not giving up my RM collection (never!!) but selling the aboundant extras etc. I have. I have just about completed the catalog you requested with price list etc.. I wont to sell my extras to someone who can enjoy and appreciate them not to some auction house where I could probably now make a mint. Also I will give package deals if anyone buys more than 5 items.

I thought the Vanity Fair article was great and extremely well written. Yes, Dom Dunn should write a bio on Roddy. Excellent idea....Also the idea about us doing a Double Exposure is especially good idea. I hope it transpires some day. And if we could get Dick Moore and Jane Powell to write a Double Exposure type book on Roddy...It would be a best seller for sure. Yes I would read more on Roddy - I can never get enough of him.

Barb.

Dear Lorraine,
         Hi, thank you for welcoming me to the group, I have never been on the internet in a group before. So this is a new experience, and quite enjoyable I might add. Very informative...Of course, anything on Roddy is great!!

Barb

Subject: Re: RMList

Welcome Courtney. We are a fun group.

Since I can't seem to sent emails directly to the rmgroup. Even my husband can't figure it out, I have to send this through the reply angle.

To the trekkies out there. James Doohan will be signing his two books at the Lake Forest Park shopping center's new book store, Third Place Books (a suburb of Seattle) on December 5th at noon. He will only be signing books. I don't know how crowded it will be, but I can at least get a photo taken. Doohan lives here in Redmond, another Seattle suburb but I have not met him yet. I am not a trekkie, but I have seen all the Star Trek movies, since I am a movie buff. Do you want me to go and try for an autograph, and take some photos?

Kyoko

> Hi, I Love Roddy McDowall! I Would really like to learn and hear
> as much about him as possible! So of couse I must join this fan
> club! Thank you so much! Courtney Ferris

Yeah, but you have to admit, he doesn't really LOOK 38. But he was pretty good lookin' in that one, I must say. I always prefered him with his hair a little shaggier, though, sort of like Poseidon. While watching his biography the other night, I saw the shots of Heart of Darkness and it looked really good! Have any of you seen this one? Is it available on tape?

Kari

Subject: Re: New Member/VANITY FAIR

> Wonderful article in VANITY FAIR. A glass of wine in one hand and
> a morphine drip in the other. Just when I think I can't admire
> him any more than I already do....
>
> Paige-Marie

REALLY? They have pictures in it that recent? Wow, you guys just love to torture me, don't you. Has anyone seen a shot of his friend Dennis?(I hope that's his name, it momentarily slipped my mind there.) I'm just curious.

Kari

Subject: Re: RM bio books

Dear Courtney
         Hi, I Love Roddy McDowal too! I have some small biography books on him if you are interested in learning more about him.

Barb

Yeah, but you're from the East, aren't you Lynne? I'm stuck here in rural Alberta, so it's not quite the same thing. (Stop laughing, Lynne, I can hear you.) Not that Alberta isn't a good place to be, but as far as theatre and entertainment news goes, um, they just performed Phantom of the Country Opera in the town I live next to. I know, shoot me now. ;) Kari

> Lynne got hers, so Vanity Fair must be available in Canada. Is
> anybody else ahving a hard time finding it?
> Tam

> I'd love to see a Double Exposure type of biography for Roddy.
> His friends could contribute photographs of Roddy that they took,
> then write commentary about him. It'd really be appropriate -- a
> double tribute to him.
>
> We can do the same thing, too. Scan any photographs we have of
> him, write how we became a fan or a personal-encounter story, then
> put the whole thing in the Foundation homepage. Maybe print and
> send copies to Virginia and Elizabeth.
>
> --Mel

Well, I don't have a scanner (or for that matter, any pictures that you guys don't already have), but I think that would be a good idea! I'd love to see it.

Kari

Subject: comment from Poseidon

For those of you interested, this was sent on the Poseidon list by Nathaniel. I'll forward it to you guys and hope he doesn't mind. (I asked, but he hasn't had time to answer.) Oh, and I answered as well as I was able why he didn't want a funeral or whatever, so don't flood Nathaniel with answers. Kari

JR wrote:>
> From: JR <jr1@mail1.abac.com>
>
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> > I have the news clipping from back in august I think on my wall that
> > says that Roddy was ill and the it was serios. I would have never
> > thought that acouple of months later he would be dead. besides Jack
> > Albertson, I am also going to try to get the sutographs of the PA's
> > stars. Now that I know theres is a chance I will try. And as I already
> > said I already have Shelley Winters. it is signed "To Nathaniel, Love
> > Shelley"
>
> I keep forgetting to tell you folks my Day Roddy Died story. I was in
> L.A. for the collectors show that Saturday, and had just found out that
> Carol was going to be at the show the next day. I had gone into
> Hollywood that evening, and found myself stuck in the usual Hollywood
> Blvd. traffic jam when I noticed a bunch of TV news trucks on one side
> of the street. My first thought was "Oh, great -- who died now?" (A
> celeb's Walk of Fame star is one of the first places the news guys go
> when somebody famous dies.)
>
> I half-considered swinging my car around to find out, but I was on my
> way to somewhere... I wish I'd stopped -- a few minutes later, I heard
> about Roddy on the radio.
>
> The next day, when I met Carol, I didn't mention it. I mean, you meet
> Carol Lynley and the first thing you say is NOT, "Hey, did you hear
> about Roddy?" Ironically, while I was standing there, another fan did --
> and it turned out she *hadn't* heard about it. Yes, she looked
> sufficiently pained.
>
> And she was all set to go to his memorial a few weeks later, but, per
> Roddy's wishes, there was none.
>
> I still can't figure out why he didn't want a funeral or anything.
> Roddy adored Hollywood! But he was a very private guy...
>
> JR
> --
> jr1@bigfoot.com
> http://www.amuseyourself.com/index.html
> Home of the World's First Carol Lynley Fan Page

Subject: vanity fair

Howdy y'all,

The Vanity Fair write-up brought on one hell of a cry again. The article seemed quite personal. It was the end of the article that brought on the tears.

There is talk of random pictures of Roddy, beyond the pics in the article itself. The only 'stray' pic I've found in the mag is on page 96 where Roddy is sitting with Dominick and his wife. Is there still another one somewhere in the mag??

By the way - I came across 2 of the Bullwhip Griffin books at the local used bookshop in my town. They are charging $1 for one and $2 for the other, and the cheaper one is in better shape!??? Odd..... Anyway, assuming they will still be there, if anyone wants me to pick them up, let me know. I'd just ask to be covered for the cost of the book and postage to mail it out. (Probably a whopping total of $2 - 3)

Frankie

Subject: Re: Roddy Bio

Dear Kari,

Thank you for Dominick Dunne address, I think everyone should write to him and suggest he write Roddy's biography and get him to share some of his favorite stories with us on the internet.

Barb

> Hi, I Love Roddy McDowall! I Would really like to learn and hear
> as much about him as possible! So of couse I must join this fan
> club! Thank you so much!
> Courtney Ferris

Welcome Courtney! Who and where are you? What's your fav Roddy movie?(All that jazz...)

Kari

Welcome Courtney!! Paige-Marie

Subject: Message for Kari re Vanity Fair

Kari wrote:> Yeah, but you're from the East, aren't you Lynne? I'm stuck here
> in rural Alberta, so it's not quite the same thing. (Stop
> laughing,

Kari, are you near a town of any size? If so, they should have it in their magazine store. If not, write me *offlist* and I'll get it for you. And please make sure to include your e-mail address...you haven't put it in your posts so far, and it makes it hard to write you without bothering the whole list, which I don't want to do.

Lynne Ackerman

Subject: Message from Sam

I am beginning to feel the need to scream! I think it would be easier if I flew over and visited each of you in turn. As you may have guessed my E mail at uni still isn't great and I seem to have problems mailing you individually, so I'm going to make this a letter for everyone I need to talk to.

Lorraine - Did you get my address and do I need to send you any money?

Sue - I still need an adress to send the $20 (by the way, were you able to use it for the bouqet or did you get my message to late, and whats happening with photos?)

With regards T shirts I'd love one and whoevers doing them I will e mail when things seem to be working better.

Janet - no problem copying or sending the tapes so please do, let me know if you want any money!

And finally for anyone whos interested I have a copy of the Twiggy interview here but it's on long play, so if anyone would like a copy let me know and we'll work something out.

I think that's it, sorry about this,

Love Sam

Hey Kari, the offer is still open if you want a Vanity Fair.Just let me know.
Tam

Get this! I am the bargain hunter of the day, thank you very much! I found a copy of Evil Under the Sun at my local Roger's Video in their recent previously viewed pile for... 1.99! Ta dah! Boy, was I a happy shopper! I've gotten to know the guy that works there, and he's also a big Planet of the Apes fan. He's the only one I know who actually bought the whole new boxed set. He knows I love Roddy, so he was thrilled for me. He, of course, loved Zira. I actually walked in there one time and he and another guy were talking about POTA, and discussing how picked on Zira was in the third sequel. They were defending a chimpanzee chick! Zira is probably a little fuzzier than the usual babes they pay attention to on screen. I thought it was funny, anyway. So I haven't watched Evil Under the Sun yet, but I figure it was 2 bucks, Roddy is in it, so what did I have to lose! He could just stand there for 5 minutes, and it would be worth 2 bucks to me. Isn't this the one where he plays the bitchy gossip columnist? I hope so. Hee hee!

Kari

I haven't seen Vanity Fair on the shelves where I live, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I didn't realize there are so many other magazines out there! Guess I'm out of touch with the world at this moment.

Janet S.

> > Wonderful article in VANITY FAIR. A glass of wine in one hand and
> > a morphine drip in the other. Just when I think I can't admire
> > him any more than I already do....
> >
> > Paige-Marie
>
> REALLY? They have pictures in it that recent? Wow, you guys just
> love to torture me, don't you. Has anyone seen a shot of his friend
> Dennis?(I hope that's his name, it momentarily slipped my mind
> there.) I'm just curious.
> Kari

Kari, the pics were all good, but vintage. No pic of Roddy at the dinner party mentioned in the article, no pic of Dennis. Benita

Subject: Re: comment from Poseidon

JR,
         Not only was Roddy very private he was also very humble. He was alway's good at lifting others up but he never lifted himself to a higher level. A memorial was not his style. A memorial is not needed to celebrate his life.
         Thank you for sharing your story about Carol's reaction. Sometimes we forget the pain that others feel that knew him personally. We have a hard enough time excepting the loss ourselves.

Lorraine

I'll take one, Kyoko

> By the way - I came across 2 of the Bullwhip Griffin books at the
> local used bookshop in my town. They are charging $1 for one and
> $2 for the other, and the cheaper one is in better shape!???
> Odd..... Anyway, assuming they will still be there, if anyone wants
> me to pick them up, let me know. I'd just ask to be covered for
> the cost of the book and postage to mail it out. (Probably a
> whopping total of $2 - 3)
>
> Frankie

Subject: Bullwhip book

Hi Kyoko, Was just at the shop to picked up the one for $1 for someone else who replied to me directly, but the one for $2 is still there. I should go by there again within the next day or two. Either write me through my e-mail, or I can just let you know when I got it through the digest. So, that will be it, there were only 2 of them, and they've been claimed now. If any more ever come through I'll give a shout!

Toodles,
Frankie

> I'll take one,
> Kyoko
>

> > By the way - I came across 2 of the Bullwhip Griffin books at the
> > local used bookshop in my town. They are charging $1 for one and
> > $2 for the other, and the cheaper one is in better shape!???
> > Odd..... Anyway, assuming they will still be there, if anyone wants
> > me to pick them up, let me know. I'd just ask to be covered for
> > the cost of the book and postage to mail it out. (Probably a
> > whopping total of $2 - 3)
> >
> > Frankie

Subject: Re: Evil Under The Sun!

Kari,

         Good work on the Evil Under The Sun. It's a great mystery. I was half right on the killer! Mysteries are my weakness and I usually know who the killer is early on. I'll wait till you see it before discuss any further because I don't want to blow it for you! Good investment!
Lorraine

> I found a copy of Evil Under the Sun at my local Roger's Video in
> their recent previously viewed pile for... 1.99! Ta dah! Boy,
> was I a happy shopper!
> I haven't watched Evil Under the Sun yet, but I figure it was 2
> bucks, Roddy is in it, so what did I have to lose! He could
> just stand there for 5 minutes, and it would be worth 2 bucks to
> me. Isn't this the one where he plays the bitchy gossip
> columnist? I hope so. Hee hee!
> Kari

Subject: Re: Message for Kari re Vanity Fair

Thanks Lynne, and everyone else that offered! I actually already asked Janet, but if she was unable to get it, or hasn't done anything yet, let me know, and maybe Lynne could! Since she's in the same country and all, it might be cheaper all around and easier (although given the state of our mail system, eeeee...) Anyway, Janet, let me know what's up, and I'll let Lynne know. I am such a pest, I realize. For anyone that wants to contact me privately for some such reason, my gibberish of an E-mail name is Prinkj00@uleth.ca (It does make sense, but I won't get into that.)

Kari

> Kari wrote:
> > Yeah, but you're from the East, aren't you Lynne? I'm stuck here
> > in rural Alberta, so it's not quite the same thing. (Stop
> > laughing,
>
> Kari, are you near a town of any size? If so, they should have it
> in their magazine store. If not, write me *offlist* and I'll get
> it for you. And please make sure to include your e-mail
> address...you haven't put it in your posts so far, and it makes it
> hard to write you without bothering the whole list, which I don't
> want to do.
>
> Lynne Ackerman

Kari,

I apologize. As Benita wrote, there were no recent pics of Mr. McD. I should have been more specific. I was referring to what Mr. Dunne wrote.

I don't know if any of you are interested, but if you send Christmas cards, there's a site, www.charitycards.com, that sells cards where the money goes to anything from feeding the homeless to helping children who were abused to cancer research.

Take care---Paige-Marie

I've been looking for the Vanity Faire but haven't found it as of yet.
Lorraine

Subject: [Fwd: Entry to the Roddy McDowall Guestbook]

Thought I would pass this guestbook entry along. It's one of the nicest I've seen.

Dana Holland

From: JPDPKP@aol.com (Jeanne)
Subject: Entry to the Roddy McDowall Guestbook
Apparently-To: dana@nav.cc.tx.us

You have a new entry in your guestbook:

A friend asked me last night how I was doing after Roddy's death. I said I was fine and that it was such a shame. But, of course, after that conversation I couldn't get him out of mind. So today I decided to search the web for him, to see what was out there, and I found this wonderful site. I had the great fortune to work for Roddy for 2 1/2 years, from '88 - '91. He was terrific, you couldn't ask for a better boss. He taught me more about friendship and integrity than anyone I've ever known. And yes indeed, he did care very deeply about his fans. Every week we'd go through the always present pile of fan mail, answering questions, signing and sending photographs - at his own expense. It was never a chore for him. He truly appreciated each and every letter. Try not to be too sad, he didn't like that sort of thing. Sit down and enjoy one of his movies, that's what made him happy.
Jeanne <JPDPKP@aol.com>
Portland, ME USA - Wednesday, November 18, 1998 at 08:43:05 (CST)

Subject: Re: Sam

Samantha,
         I did get your address. I had miss placed your bio but I have found it again so I will be mailing it out this week. Be looking for it. Oh and as for the mail service, don't feel bad. I have battled the same delema in my home. If it wasn't for my 11 year old genius I would be completely out of luck! I have changed my mail service a couple of times but I finally found one that works for me. Good luck.
Lorraine

Subject: Film Review Dec 98

This is another UK magazine, and their ad for the December 1998 issue says, among other things:
Plus • 17 pages of reviews covering all the UK's new cinema releases including Antz • Ronin • Blade and many more • video reviews • nine pages of news including our tribute to Roddy McDowall • details of the London Film Festival's nation-wide tour • your movie questions answered in Film Fax
You can order the magazine online, just click on the magazine's image at http://www.visimag.com/filmreview/f99_main.htm to get to the order form (which unfortunately doesn't ask you how many copies you want).

I drove over to Borders bookshop this afternoon and they do carry the magazine, though this issue isn't in yet.

--Mel

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Entry to the Roddy McDowall Guestbook]

What a treat, to hear from someone who new Roddy so personally. It did bring on the tears again. I seem to go along just fine for a couple weeks then I have to mourn again.

Joni

Cool! I wonder who she was and what she did? I love reading stuff from the people who knew Roddy in everyday life, away from Hollywood. Still, no one ever says anything bad about him.
Kari

Ha! I'm not the only one then. I feel better now. Hey, I watched Evil Under the Sun, and it was good! I sorta guessed who did it, but not quite. I have never been that big of a fan of Peter Ustinov, though. Hey, is that the same Diana Riggs on that show as played in the old Avengers? And is the one lady the same one that plays Rose's mother in the Titanic, or was I tripping? (It was late, so...) And I take it that's where they got that shot of Roddy that was in the People magazine, huh? Cute hat, Roddy, but I don't know... ;)

Kari

> I've been looking for the Vanity Faire but haven't found it as of
> yet.
> Lorraine

Kari, aaaajust in case you didn't get my e-mail, I mailed your copy of Vanity Fair out today. Sorry for the delay.
Janet C

Subject: Re: Film Review Dec 98

Dear Mel,

Thank you for the info on that UK magazine, I will try and order it on line today..

Barb,

Subject: reply to reply to reply

JR wrote:

> > > JR,
> > >          Not only was Roddy very private he was also very humble. He was alway's good at
> > > lifting others up but he never lifted himself to a higher level. A memorial was not
> > > his style. A memorial is not needed to celebrate his life.
> > >          Thankyou for sharing your story about Carol's reaction. Sometimes we forget the
> > > pain that others feel that knew him personally. We have a hard enough time excepting
> > > the loss ourselves. Lorraine
> > >

> I know, I've been known to get thoroughly depressed over the deaths of
> favorite celebrities. I don't even want to imagine the feeling of loss
> over your all-time, number-one, absolute favorite. I expect it must
> still be completely unreal to you Musgravians. After all, it's been,
> what? six weeks?
>
> No, a memorial isn't needed, but it often provides closure in a way
> nothing else will do -- it lets the friends of the deceased get together
> in a way they never would otherwise.
> As a fan, it's been a good thing for me to go to the occasional
> celebrity funeral, simply because it's comforting to know I'm not the
> only one feeling the loss at the moment. I mean, I *know* I'm not, but
> it's still a catharsis. (After all, funerals are for the living,
> right?)
>
> Left without that, the best I can do is a special toast to Roddy come
> this New Year's Eve. ("By the way, Acres...!")
>
> JR

Subject: bullwhip

Hi Kyoto, Got the Bullwhip Griffin book, it was still there. Let me know where to send it.

Frankie

Correction: you can order more than one copy of the magazine if you use their secure online order form at http://www.visimag.com/acatalog/index.html.

--Mel

To Sam in England:

Sorry to hear you're having problems e-mailing us individually. Please let me know if your address has changed. Otherwise, I'll send the tapes ASAP.....Janet S.

Subject: Anything ....

Hi, y'all!
         I have finally been able to start going through my e-mail after yet another surgery (2 down, one to go). Can someone update me on the bios and t-shirts. I have over 800 messages in my box and am still mucking through everything. Let me know...
         In the same line, I found a copy of Liz Taylor's cookbook from about 15 years ago and it had a sweet picture of Roddy and her on a horse together. Made me weepy...

Beth

Subject: A Bug's Life

In case you haven't seen it, "A Bug's Life" is reviewed in today's (Friday, 11/20) "USA Today." They give it 4 stars (out of 4) & a rave review (almost as good as "Toy Story," with the second half of the movie as good, according to the review)!

Maureen Lynch

Subject: Tam Lin

Hello Everybody!

Just wanted to drop a line letting you all know I found a copy of Tam Lin at Borders last night. Yes I was bouncing, my man had to calm me down. But anyway, it is one of a series of six films being released on videos starring "legendary ladies". Roddy introduces the film (but I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what he says.) But apparently he hosts all six movies - but I don't know what the other five are.....

so I'll write more once I get a chance to watch the darn thing.

Any borders should be able to order it for you or go to www.borders.com

~jenn

Subject: Re: bullwhip

Hi Frankie, I sent you my address on your private email. Let me know if you got it.
thanks,
Kyoko

> Hi Kyoto,
> Got the Bullwhip Griffin book, it was still there. Let me know
> where to send it.
>
> Frankie

Joni,

         I know how you feel. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I have my good days and bad days. For me it's when I'm working. I no longer work at the video store next door from my present position at the hardware store but my old regular video customers still come in to get movie advice from me. The subject of Roddy has come up a few times. I recently shared the latest story about Roddy giving his employees a cash gift when he knew he was going to die.That was a bit that Mel shared that truly moved me. I started to tear up at work at my register as I shared it with customer. The customer was understanding because there were many discussions about Roddy these last few years. Bit my coworkers think I'm a flake.
         Needless to say I decided not to share that story at work for now. I thought I was ready but I wasn't. Isn't it waonderful to have this support group?
         I still feel the irony of finding this site hours after he died, while not knowing that he had passed away only hours before.
Lorraine

Subject: RM memorial
ARCHERD 11/19/1998

Elizabeth Taylor hosted a moving memorial for Roddy McDowall at her home Sunday. Among those on hand, the Lew Wassermans, Gregory Pecks, George Axelrods, Gordon Davidsons, Suzanne Pleshette and Tommy Gallagher, and Sybil Burton. Tears, sure -- but many laughs too about the fun times.
--Mel

Subject: New Members Jeanne and Pati

Let's give a warm welcome to Pati Gabriel and to Jeanne.

--Mel

Forwarded by Roxanne L. Smith <roc@smithway.org>
From: John DeGennaro <john.degennaro@snet.net>
To: roc@smithway.org
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:47:21 -0500

John DeGennaro

Count me in for two, as well...
Beth

Subject: Welcome, KKPO@aol.com

First of all, welcome to the Musgrave Foundation. Secondly, it's not dumb. And lastly, please tell us your name.

Thanks,
--Mel

Forwarded by Roxanne L. Smith <roc@smithway.org>
I'd like to join your mailing list. I know it's really dumb. Roddy died months ago...but just the same.

> Dana, I also was in Margie's and Josette's fan clubs, as well as ones
> run by a guy from New York name Patrick White and a woman in Canada
> named Mel, whose last name I've forgotten. In fact, when I first
> joined this one, I thought maybe 'our' Mel was the same woman and
> asked her about it. I have never, in 27 years heard of the Peace
> River fan club. Not to dismiss it. I've just never heard of it.

I was in Patrick White's club, also. Somehow managed to miss Mel's....

I've heard two accounts now - one that Peace River is here in the States, another that it's in Canada. Anybody know which one?

Dana Holland

Do these T-shirts have pictures of roddy on them?

Sabryna136@aol.com

I think it is from Lord Love a Duck, if it's the one I'm picturing. Hey! A Bug's Life was number one in the theatres over the weekend! They think it probably will surpass Antz's opening, and break a record. Yay! Oh, and Roddy is on the Bug's Life playstation video game. His ant is the one who trains you. It's cool. He's like, "I'll share a secret with you, shall I?" So verrrry British and high class. I went through training a couple of times before I actually played the game. :)

Kari

> Found a copy of the magazine in Library Limited, a Borders outlet.
> They devoted a page to RM, two-thirds of which is occupied by a
> B&W photo circa 1960s. Not sure what film it came from -- could be
> Lord Love a Duck -- I've seen the photo before, he's got his arms
> crossed across his chest, his sleeves folded up. The article
> itself mainly recaps his background and career, with some lapses
> like saying he played Galen in the first Apes film, but well enough
> overall (they described his voice as always having had "the quality
> of crystal clarity").
>
> --Mel

Ah! I don't know, Benita. I think he only saw the one copy. I'll ask him again, though. If not, everyone check out their neighborhood Costco, 'cause that's where they're finding them. If you want, E-mail Todd at kev_todd@pacbell.net and ask if he ever picked it up. (Mention you saw his message from the Poseidon group.)
Kari

> > I have that copy from Costco.
> > It is the revised version.
> > Kyoko
> >
> > ----------
> > >
> > > Right on! I'm still on. Hey, are any of you interested in a copy
> > > of Tam-Lin? A guy off the Poseidon list ran across one at a
> > > Costco for 8.99, and says he can pick it up. I asked him if I
> > > could forward his message to you guys just barely, and I'll see
> > > what he says. I don't know if this is the first version, or the
> > > remastered one, but he says it has a pic of Roddy on the back, and
> > > that the intro is given by Roddy. Any interest? Kari
>
> Kari, include me in the REVISED version order. Let me know the details.
> Benita BENITA@Mail.usa.com

Subject: Fw: The Versatile Actor

Welcome to the Musgrave Foundation, Christina! --Mel

Forwarded by Roxanne L. Smith <roc@smithway.org>
Please, can I join your group? I am so glad that there are others who adored Roddy as much as I did and still do. And I'm pleased to see that the site and the contact between its members is still growing, even, though, unfortunately, the object of our affection has moved on.

My name is Christina Paige Brooks, I'm thirty, and I can't remember a time without Roddy. It just seems that I've always known who he was and that he was always there. The difficulty is knowing that this most talented actor and kind-hearted man is no longer here to bless us with new spellbounding performances, share his vast knowledge & intellect regarding theatre & film, or simply dole out his respect and love to his friends and his fans the way few stars (and, yes, Roddy IS a star) ever do or did. He will surely and quite sorely be missed. But, there's got to be a morning after.

I found this too. Absolutely *love* the picture!

Lynne

> Found a copy of the magazine in Library Limited, a Borders outlet.
> They devoted a page to RM, two-thirds of which is occupied by a
> B&W photo circa 1960s. Not sure what film it came from -- could be
> Lord Love a Duck -- I've seen the photo before, he's got his arms
> crossed across his chest, his sleeves folded up. The article
> itself mainly recaps his background and career, with some lapses
> like saying he played Galen in the first Apes film, but well
> enough overall (they described his voice as always having had "the
> quality of crystal clarity").
>
> --Mel

Subject: Welcome, Monica

Welcome to the Musgrave Foundation, Monica! --Mel

Forwarded by Roxanne L. Smith <roc@smithway.org>
What year did Natalie Wood die, anyway? Was it in the 60's or the 70's? You know, I don't think I could handle that lifestyle. With all the reports of the stars and friends that Roddy saw break down or die, can you imagine having to go through all that? That would be the worst. And yet, he was always there for them. That's a hero. I just watched an Oprah episode the other day where she was talking to Arnold Schwarzennegar, and going on and on the whole show about how he was such a big hero and should be admired for having come to America and making a name for himself, and I just kept thinking, he pumped iron and flexed his way into the big bucks. This is what we should idolize?? It's sad. Kari

> Kari,
> Ahhhhh,yes, those big soft brown eyes! Glad you enjoyed it!
> Don't worry about the S&H, it was my pleasure. I couldn't let you
> miss out on this one, although it made me cry all over again!
> Janet

Subject: where we are at!

Hey I was just overhelmed by the e-mails am getting around to reading all of them. My name is Teresa Biegger (aka Christophe) I am in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota.

This has been good for me to read all the happenings and how other feel about Roddy. It has really helped me alot dealing with his death. :) I had found out he might have been ill from a friend on my birthday in September.

Natalie Wood died in the early 80's. I was in college at the time and I remember that Roddy spoke at her funeral.

Cheryl

> What year did Natalie Wood die, anyway? Was it in the 60's or the
> 70's? You know, I don't think I could handle that lifestyle. With
> all the reports of the stars and friends that Roddy saw break down
> or die, can you imagine having to go through all that? That would
> be the worst. And yet, he was always there for them. That's a
> hero.
> Kari

Subject: Updates (already) to RM tv guide

[snip]

And, finally, especially for Benita, the movie where a woman grabs Roddy's butt, presenting The Alien Within (aka Unknown Origin):

Sat, 5 Dec 02:00a-03:15a SHOE
Sat, 5 Dec 05:00a-06:15a SHOW