RMGROUP mail
November 1998

Subject: Re: DS9 Mumy-fied!

ALL RIGHT! Thanks for the info, Mel. If my asking about the movie Double Trouble didn't clue you already, I'm a fan of Mr. Mumy's. (Thanks for emailing me with an answer.) This is so cool, since I've been a fan of DS9 also for many years. I was a little disappointed by his appearance on Diagnosis Murder. It's worth catching because we get to see him out of his Lennier makeup so little, but his part was so short, about a minute and a half. Of course they gave most of the air time to the Trek folk. I hope he has a much bigger role in this show.

Stephanie
redraven@tir.com

> Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Sci-fi cult-favorite Bill Mumy- currently
> Lennier on Babylon 5, famously Will Robinson on Lost in Space- guests
> in the episode "The Seige of AR-558." And no one's more excited than
> he. As Mumy told David Henderson of Psi Phi, "I finally made it to the
> Star Trek universe!
> -Mel

Paul,
         Thanks for the Mummy info. I look forward to it.
Lorraine

>          I didn't know about this in advance, so maybe now we can watch for
> the repeat. On Diagnois Murder this week, the episode featured
> George Takei, Majel Barrett, Walter Koenig, Grace Lee Whitney, Wil
> Wheaton, and Billy Mumy.
>          Not a bad line up of sci-fi stars, eh?
>
> Paul Worley

I really like Diagnosis Murder, I hope I don't miss this one!!!!!!

Joni

Subject: Re: Bullwhip Griffin

I'll just get all the extra copies I can at the next sale, and I'll let you guys know then. Kyoko, you're first on the list.Anyone else?
Tam

Subject: Phil Hartman's last movie

I think you're thinking of Small Soldiers", which was another computer animated movie.
Tam

Subject: new address

Dear,Musgravians

Hi this is Thomas,Lorraines son. I wanted to inform you that her netscape mail wouldn't let her receive mail. It had over 100 coming in and it would only let her see up to about eight at a time. So I signed her up for a service called Hotmail. First she wanted her address to have POTA girl. Then after I registered that name she said oh I miss Zira917 can you change it back. I said the only way to do that is unregister you and then go through the whole registration process all over again just to change your e-mail address. She said please I want my Zira back and I said dang mom your a pain in the bootie. So I reregistered her again. I hope this one works because registering is a pain. Especially when you have to do it over and over again. Her new address for this week is: Zira917@hotmail.com. Wish me luck.

Thanks,gotta go BYE.

Thomas

Subject: Samatha

Samantha,

I need your address to mail the bio. For some reason I'm not getting all my mail. I only recieve a portion everyday. My mail box says I have 278 messages yet I only pick up a dozen at a time or so. So I hope this isn't a senseless repeat. My mail seems to go out ok. To update, the bio's will be mailed on monday to: Maureen, Susan, Pamela, Kari, Morgan, and Samantha. One page was missed when coping them so I'm going to do it before they go to the post office.
Lorraine

Subject: Kiss this guy ...

Gang, you want to fall laughing on the floor, have a look at http://www.kissthisguy.com/ -- the Archive of Misheard Lyrics.

Sample entry for the Eurythmics song 'Sweet Dreams are Made of This':

The real lyrics were:
Sweet Dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
Travelled the world and the seven seas

Misheard as:
Sweet cream is made of cheese
Who am I to disagree
Travelled the world in generic jeans
Another guy mangled a Beatle song:

The real lyrics were:
Lucy in the sky with diamonds

Misheard as:
Lucy's getting high with Linus

The embarrasing moment of revelation:
My was it an embarrasing moment. I was giving a private concert for Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, and they started laughing when I sang the wrong lyrics.

--Mel

Subject: Re: Lorraine's mail and other messages

Lorraine, did you get that mail? I may have sent it to your old email address! Sorry. Give me your email address again.
         To anyone working in a store of any kind(especially a video store),The Wizard of Oz has just been rereleased to theatres. We all know what that means, don't we boys and girls? It means, can the rerere-release of the video be far behind?! If anybody can get hold of some pins and/or posters/standees for me, I will be your Roddy slave: any photocopies of articles or pictures and any copies of tapes I have can be arranged...
         As for you Paul, you're taunting me with your POTA doll sightings. I haven't seen squat(?) yet. I know I am going to miss them. What stores did you see them at? I did see the Universal Monsters dolls today. I have to say, I am disappointed in them. The only one that even vaguely looks like the movie character is the Bride of Frankenstein. She almost has Elsa Lanchester's lips and chin. They could have been very nice dolls too. they are a nice size(12"), and the costumes are nicely detailed. they're not even a bad price at 19.96.So, pretty disappointing.
         Emma would like to know if anyone has seen any Gone With the Wind pins out there. We've seen the display stuff, but noone wearing a pin yet.Her quest for a Lady and the Tramp pin goes on...
Tam

Subject: Re: apes

Yes, i would love one. I remember reading it years ago!

Sue Martin

> I used to read all the books the movies were absed on too! I also
> have a copy of Bullwhip griffin too. There's a big second hand
> book > sale in town every summer, and I always see the Bullwhip
> Griffin book. Would there be anyone who would want one if I bought
> extra copies this coming year?There's a colour picture from the
> movie on the cover, and actually, the book is pretty good.The
> author is Sid Fleishman,who writes some very good kid's books.
> Tam

Hey Group!
         Goodmorning! All bios are in the mail with the exclusion of Samatha's. I still need a mailing address for you. If you have mailed it to me already I have to apologize for I had to change my mail service. I was not receiving all my mail from the last service I had. Please try again at <zira917@hotmail.com>
Lorraine

Subject: Re: new address

Thomas, Lorraine's Son,

You are the best!!!!!! She is lucky to have you as her son!!!!!

Joni

Subject: Elizabeth Taylor

Hello All! This was in the mailbox today. written on Elizabeth Taylor's letterhead,

Oct.28,1998

Dear Janet,
         Thank you for your lovely card to Miss Taylor expressing sympathy on the passing of her lifelong friend , Roddy McDowall. It is very kind of you to thnk of her and send such caring words her way,and she sincerely appreciates your thoughtfullness. Our very best wishes to you.

Sincerely, Sharon Leigh
(Who, I suppose is Ms. Taylor's personal assistant, or one of them anyway.) By the way , the letter was printed on beautiful baby blue stationary. So now we know that we had the right address. Thanks, Paul for providing it! It's nice to be back among the the day dwellers- I've been working nights for awhile , Although I haven't written much, it sure was fun reading all my e-mails. I thought I would share this with you. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!
Janet C

Subject: Re: Kiss this guy ...

<< http://www.kissthisguy.com/ >> this is a GREAT site, I sat here Laughing so hard I almost choked and couldn't catch my breath. Thanks for passing it along.

Joni

> I'll just get all the extra copies I can at the next sale, and
> I'll let you guys know then. Kyoko, you're first on the
> list.Anyone else?
> Tam

Tam. pick up one for me too--Benita

Subject: People Weekly

They didn't print any of our letters. Here are what did get printed ...
--Mel

When will you realize that you have readers overs 30? You always seem to barely mention class acts like Roddy McDowall, but spend pages on the flavor of the month and his/her latest squeeze. Save it for TEEN PEOPLE! Donna Frickey, of Elizabeth, Colo. ____________________________________________________

Six pages for Courteney Cox and only one for Gene Autry and two for Roddy McDowall? Let's see some respect for the legends who leave us with something to remember. By comparison, Courteney Cox has not done anything yet that will last in the annals of Hollywood. (On the other hand, great article on Soupy Sales! He still makes me laugh.) Carol Tester, of West Bloomfield, Mich.

Thank you for a classy send-off for a very classy man. In this day and age, when gossip and backbiting are so sadly commonplace, this decent, intensely private man kept the lives of his famous friends so closely guarded. Just imagine the stories he might have told! Thank you, Roddy, for not telling. Yes, Hollywood will miss him. So will the world. Kathy Walsh, of Fort Knox, Ky.

I finished reading your article on Roddy McDowall and am deeply disappointed. How could you give so few lines to a man who spent 62 years of his life before the camera? He was not just a screen legend and respected photographer, he was a warm and kind gentleman in a town and profession not known for such qualities. Couldn't you find a few pages more to properly celebrate the life of this dear man? Carla Froedge, of Jeffersonville, Ind.

Thank you, just let me know the cost including postage, when the time comes. Kyoko

----------

> I'll just get all the extra copies I can at the next sale, and
> I'll > let you guys know then. Kyoko, you're first on the
> list.Anyone else?
> Tam

Subject: Re: People Weekly

Mel, I think it is interesting that other people were equally annoyed with the magazines shallow format. It must be pretty obvious to the rag mag by now that they under estimated our fine fellow! Lorraine

Also, and I don't know if anyone's said it already, however, Bill Mumy was also one half of the singing duo "Barnes and Barnes", infamous for the "Fish Heads" song.

-- Lady Mara

Subject: Holiday card list

Hi again -

I'm extending the deadline until this Friday (11/6) for people who are interested. Just as an FYI, it's more of a seasonal card exchange, rather than purely Christmas. And, it's for everyone--not just the U.S. members. Most of all, it's a lot of fun! So please sign up.

So far I have: Lorraine B., Janell B., Benita C., Janet C., Joni J., Jennifer R., Tammy S., Janet S., and Kyoko W. If you don't see your name here, send me your name and snail mail address. I'll be sending out the list early next week.

Maureen Lynch

So far I have three requests for Bullwhip Griffin books. I've written the names down. the sale won't be until next summer,so just watch the mailing list and I'll let everyone know when I get them. They usually only cost a dime,so the only real expense will be the postage.
Tam

Subject: Re: Elizabeth Taylor

> Hello All! This was in the mailbox today. written on Elizabeth
> Taylor's letterhead,
> Oct.28,1998
> Dear Janet,
>          Thank you for your lovely card to Miss Taylor
> expressing sympathy on the passing of her lifelong friend , Roddy
> McDowall. It is very kind of you to thnk of her and send such caring
> words her way,and she sincerely appreciates your thoughtfullness. Our
> very best wishes to you. Sincerely, Sharon Leigh
>
> (Who, I suppose is Ms. Taylor's personal assistant, or one of them
> anyway.) By the way , the letter was printed on beautiful baby blue
> stationary. So now we know that we had the right address. Thanks,
> Paul for providing it! It's nice to be back among the the day
> dwellers- I've been working nights for awhile , Although I haven't
> written much, it sure was fun reading all my e-mails. I thought I
> would share this with you. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!
> Janet C

Ah! That is too neat, Janet! I'm glad it got through. Kari

Subject: Re: "personal"

My, my, my - Talented, intelligent, knowledgeable, a genuine friend, pleasing to the eyes and ears and "well-endowed". Was there anything he lacked. That's just a rhetorical question.

But muscular? I have a still of him shirtless on a skateboard. I'd say more like slender.

I'll agree the Playgirl picture probably is phony, but at any rate it probably provides a good laugh.

-- Morgan

> > > There we go... she is going on about actors that she had known who
> > > were very insecure about how , uh, "well-endowed they were", and
> > > she confides that one of her closest friends, Roddy McDowall, was
> > > one who particularly had "nothing to worry about in that
> > > department. Aa!
> >
> > Okay, I'll repeat Kari's words - anyone offended by *some*
> > information, don't read further.....
> > tho I suspect what I have is *not* legit.....
> >

> > ;)
> >
> > I have a pic of Roddy stark nekkid that, many years ago, I clipped
> > from a magazine. And it certainly proves he had no need for
> > 'insecurity'.
> >
> > BUT, sorry, I personally think this photo is a PHONEY. I cut it
> > out of my Mom's Playgirl magazine many years ago.....heheehee.
> > (Wonder if she ever noticed it missing?) The issue had a run of
> > "nude celebrities" caught on film. But as I said, I don't trust
> > that this is a legit photo of Roddy. My suspision? Has Roddy ever
> > been 'muscular' that anyone knows of?? His age in this photo
> > (gawd, hard to tell with this man, eh?) is appox. 20-25, I would
> > guess. His body is quite built in this photo....hmmmm...
> >

> > Frankie

At least they printed letters on him, and got the message out that his fans wanted a better tribute! I wonder if these people with the letters know about his fan club... Kari

>          To anyone working in a store of any kind(especially a video
> store),The Wizard of Oz has just been rereleased to theatres. We
> all know what that means, don't we boys and girls? It means, can
> the rerere-release of the video be far behind?! If anybody can get
> hold of some pins and/or posters/standees for me, I will be your
> Roddy slave: any photocopies of articles or pictures and any copies
> of tapes I have can be arranged... As for you Paul, you're taunting
> me with your POTA doll sightings. I haven't seen squat(?) yet. I
> know I am going to miss them. What stores did you see them at? Emma
> would like to know if anyone has seen any Gone With the Wind pins
> out there. We've seen the display stuff, but noone wearing a pin
> yet.Her quest for a Lady and the Tramp pin goes on...

         well, Tam, I'll do my best to ask around and see if i can get anything for the Wiz for you and Emma. I'd love to have ANOTHER slave!! :)
         The POTA figs i saw were in a local computer store. I still havenm't seen them in any of the major stores. (Hills, K-mart, Wal-mart) My guess is that the bigger stores are going theirs late due to the central distribution they have, whereas smaller store may get them stright from the manufacturer.

Paul Worley

While I am deeply disappointed none of *OUR* letters made it to print, at least they did print some who expressed their own outrage. Maybe those people would like to join our group? Benita

> Hello All! This was in the mailbox today. written on Elizabeth
> Taylor's letterhead,
> So now we know that we had the right address. Thanks,
> Paul for providing it!

         It was my pleasure! Too bad you didn't get back a personalized letter. Glad i could help!!

Paul Worley

Subject: This 'n That

Mel,

I'm a little slow in responding these days. My life seems to be so busy anymore. I just wanted to say I appreciate your concern with our insurance problems. It's so nice to know that others can share in your miseries, although I wouldn't want anyone else to have to endure this kind of stuff.

BTW, I e-mailed Stephen Collins and thanked him for staying in touch with Roddy, especially during his illness. I also suggested that if the remake of POTA occurs, he should go up for one of the parts. I think he'd make a good astronaut. I received a nice, but short, note from him thanking me for my kind words. He said he'd miss Roddy terribly.

(I also mentioned how much I enjoyed "Tales".)

Janet S.

Nope, no Gone With the Wind stuff at our store, just tons of the movies. I'll keep my eyes open for Wizard of Oz stuff though, so practice up on your best slave behavior, Tam. Mwah hah hah! Kari

> Lorraine, did you get that mail? I may have sent it to your old
> email address! Sorry. Give me your email address again. To anyone
> working in a store of any kind(especially a video store),The Wizard
> of Oz has just been rereleased to theatres. We all know what that
> means, don't we boys and girls? It means, can the rerere-release of
> the video be far behind?! If anybody can get hold of some pins
> and/or posters/standees for me, I will be your Roddy slave: any
> photocopies of articles or pictures and any copies of tapes I have
> can be arranged... As for you Paul, you're taunting me with your
> POTA doll sightings. I haven't seen squat(?) yet. I know I am going
> to miss them. What stores did you see them at? I did see the
> Universal Monsters dolls today. I have to say, I am disappointed in
> them. The only one that even vaguely looks like the movie character
> is the Bride of Frankenstein. She almost has Elsa Lanchester's lips
> and chin. They could have been very nice dolls too. they are a nice
> size(12"), and the costumes are nicely detailed. they're not even a
> bad price at 19.96.So, pretty disappointing. Emma would like to know
> if anyone has seen any Gone With the Wind pins out there. We've
> seen the display stuff, but noone wearing a pin yet.Her quest for a
> Lady and the Tramp pin goes on...
> Tam

Tam,
         I received your address. The bio is in the mail. As for the Wizard Of Oz Standees, I'm no longer working at the video store. I left about a year ago so I don't have access to them anymore. Lorraine

>Lorraine, did you get that mail? I may have sent it to your old
>email address! Sorry. Give me your email address again.
>         To anyone working in a store of any kind(especially a video
>store),The Wizard of Oz has just been rereleased to theatres. We all
>know what that means, don't we boys and girls? It means, can the
>rerere-release of the video be far behind?! If anybody can get hold
>of some pins and/or posters/standees for me, I will be your Roddy
>slave: any photocopies of articles or pictures and any copies of
>tapes I have can be arranged...
> Tam

Subject: The Two Mrs. Burtons

WE ALSO hear that a couple of days before Roddy McDowall passed away, Sybil Christopher was visiting him. The doorbell rang, Sybil answered it, and there stood her once-upon-a-time rival, Elizabeth Taylor. (Gossip archaeologists remember that Mrs. Christopher used to be Mrs. Richard Burton. Her marriage to the great actor ended on the set of "Cleopatra.") After a moment of stunned surprise, Elizabeth and Sybil fell into each other's arms, sobbing over the imminent loss of their treasured friend.

by LIZ SMITH Los Angeles Times Syndicate November 3, 1998 00:50 a.m. EST
--Mel

Subject: found it!

Alright, all you enquiring minds! It's been a busy 2 weeks (I've been into midterms and essays and such), but I finally took time to track down that bio book. My apologies, it HAS been a while since I read this, so now I shall correct my information. Here goes: The book is on BETTE DAVIS! (Boy, was I off.) It's called Bette Davis Speaks, and is a big 250 page interview between Bette herself and the author, one Boze Hadleigh (??) It was published in 1996. I'll type out the part of the interview that concerns us. (And it isn't Bette who has the info on Roddy, but the interviewer who brings it up. So stop going, "Bette and Roddy??!!)

Q:
(Interviewer) The list: Errol Flynn.
A:
(Bette) Unprintable!
Q:
Ronald Reagan.
A:
...Not much presence.
Q:
Garbo.
A:
Beautiful!
Q:
Talented too?
A:
Of course. At what she did. You could easily believe she might die for love or from love. Not me - nevah.
Q:
Dietrich.
A:
Glamorous. Of course, she too was stunningly beautiful. But she was more like a picture - a photograph - than Garbo. Garbo... breathed.
Q:
More three-dimensional?
A:
That's it.
Q:
Jean Harlow.
A:
I may disappoint her fans by saying so, but I found her more interesting in person than on the screen.
Q:
Do you think without the platinum hair she'd have been as big?
A:
[Shakes head]
Q:
Clark Gable.
A:
We never worked together. He was afraid of me. A very insecure man.
Q:
A chauvinist?
A:
Of course! That's not what I meant... When he was the biggest masculine star in Hollywood, he still feared poverty, and always carried a bankroll in his pants pocket. [wink]
Q:
And speaking of the "biggest", even his wife Carole Lombard said he was, uh...
A:
Don't be shy [teasing]. I read that recently. She was supposed to have said that with one inch less, Gable would have been the queen of Hollywood, not the king.
[rolls her eyes]
Q:
I wonder who the real king was...
A:
Chaplin was reputed to be a contender. So was Bogart.
Q:
So's one of your dear friends...
A:
[sits up and leans forward] Who??
Q:
Roddy McDowall.
A:
[laughs with relief] Oh, Yes! [pause] REALLY?
Q:
That's what they say...
Then they go on to discuss whether Mae West was really a man in disguise, and Bette's acquaintances with Ron Reagan and Bogey. I'm sure I ran across another reference to this somewhere else that continues on a little discussing other names, but darn if I know where. So anyway, all I have to say is.... CHARLIE CHAPLIN???

A wise person I know told me that English professors turn caffeine into essays, so I'm off to find my thesaurus and a Coke.
T.T.F.N.
Kari

Subject: RM's commitment to MPTV Fund

Tuesday November 3 7:54 AM EDT
ARCHERD: Wassermans issue challenge to studios

By Army Archerd, Daily Variety Senior Columnist

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Lew and Edie Wasserman renewed their commitment to the Motion Picture and TV Fund's Woodland Hills health and care center by guaranteeing to match the entire total -- that's right, total -- upcoming contributions from the major studios.

This belated announcement was made by Jack Valenti, president of the Motion Picture Assn. of America, at Saturday's dedication of the Edie and Lew Wasserman Campus. By Monday morning, Universal, Fox, WB were in for a million dollars each and Disney in for an equivalent amount spread over a period of years. The other major studios are expected to follow soon -- and more companies as well. Thus, as of Monday, the Wassermans will have contributed another $4 million to the MPTVF's facility.

The Wassermans, shrinking from giving speeches and receiving thanks, have only one wish -- that young Hollywood takes up the pledge to "Take Care of Our Own." There was one sample Saturday of thanksgiving by the young, the very young, as the (Arli-catered) event closed with a chorus of tiny tots from another of the MPTVF's facilities, the Samuel Goldwyn Child Care Center, who chorus'd "Happy Birthday" to Edie Wasserman, who celebrates her 83rd birthday Wednesday. (Lew is former chairman of MCA Inc.)

Another plea for commitment for the future was made evident to those attending as they walked past a larger-than-life-size statue of Roddy McDowall as "Cornelius" from the "Planet of the Apes" series, stationed on the MPTVF's grounds. Roddy donated the statue (given him by "Apes" producer Arthur P. Jacobs), which had been in his rose garden.

MPTVF chairman Kenneth Scherer visited Roddy five days before he died. Said Scherer, "When I left him I was so uplifted -- not at all about death, but about life."

A placard, next to the statue on the MPTVF grounds reprints McDowall's passion about the Fund for all to see: "It is my fervent hope that the younger members of our industry -- in all areas -- will make it their business to become involved with the purpose, accomplishment, necessity and kindness of this organization and develop the need to carry it forward with the same benevolent spirit into the next century."

--Mel

Subject: Money for flowers

Susan,

The check for my contribution to the flowers is in the mail. Sorry to be a little late in getting it out, but I have been dealing with the ear infection from hell.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: my forthcoming slavery

Whatever have I let myself in for here?! Emma had better become the model child! An advance thank you to any of you who do come up with any Oz stuff,etc.
         I finally found it.A while back there was a two page ad picturing a bunch of older stars in one gigantic bed. I wasn't sure what the ad was for, or which magazine it was in. I looked through a bunch of old magazines in my closet, and today I found it.(This time I ripped it out and put it with my Roddy stuff.) It was in the December 1997/January 1998 Entertainment Weekly, 'Best of 1997' issue.It's an ad for Harman International/infinity Home Entertainment systems.As I said, it pictures 12 stars,including Roddy,Van Johnson, Mickey Rooney,Kathryn Grayson,Ann Miller,etc., all in one gigantic bed, supposedly watching a movie on their JBL ESC550 Entertainment system.I just thought I'd mention that in case anyone missed it. I'm new, so you may all have discussed it at the time,but there's the info anyway.
         Speaking of Mickey Rooney, we took the kids to see The Wizard of Oz a couple of months ago,with Mickey playing the Wizard.He's either feeling his age, or he was just completely tired of the whole thing. It was hard to tell. Anyway, Emma had become a big fan of the old Mickey/Judy musicals over the summer,and even rented "Boys Town",just because Mickey was in it.So, we were a bit disappointed when everybody signed autographs afterward except Mickey.He was immediately whisked away before anybody could get out of the theatre to go to the stage door.Even Eartha Kitt stood and signed for quite a while and was pretty exhausted by the time she finally left. As tired as she was she was nice enough to pump out one more smile and pose for a picture with Emma. (My three year old, Fuzzy, was being his usual bad attitude self and refused to pose with anyone.I told him, "When you're grown you'll wish you had done this!")Anyway,"Booooo Mickey!" Sorry. I had to vent!
Tam

Subject: Re: the Harman ad

Oh, by the way, at the bottom of that ad it says,"A contrbution has been made to the Actor's Fund of America on behalf of these twelve shing stars."
Tam

Subject: Christophers

Sybil Christopher? Hhhmmm. Any relation to Dennis Christopher the Roddy clone?? Lorraine

Subject: Re: RM's commitment to MPTV Fund

Do you think maybe they meant that statue of The Lawgiver? When I saw it in the POTA documentary I said to Ken,"I wonder where that's been all these years."
Tam

> Do you think maybe they meant that statue of The Lawgiver? When I saw
> it in the POTA documentary I said to Ken,"I wonder where that's been
> all these years."
> Tam

Archerd might have meant Caesar; there was this huge statue of him in Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

--Mel

Subject: Thankyou

Janet,
         Thankyou for your card. It was thoughtful! Lorraine

Subject: bios

Samantha,

I still need a mailing address to mail off your biography. If you mailed it already I must confess it didn't reach me. That is why I had to change mail systems, per my sons advice! Please send it to my e-mail address at < zira917@hotmail.com >. I'll send it as soon as I get your address. All others were mailed early this week so you should be getting them soon. Lorraine

PS- I received ALL mail since Oct 22 yesterday so I think my mail dilema is fixed.

Subject: Re: 7 November toast

Hello all,

We'll be out to dinner with our family of friends and will probably be toasting Mr. McDowall around 9 p.m., Florida time. I know it's early, but I really wanted my dear friends involved as well. So---I guess we'll just be toasting him all night. Very cool.

I can't wait to hear from everyone on 8 November.

Take care, everyone.
Paige-Marie

Subject: Bill Mumy

Just wondering,

Has anyone seen "Bless The Beast And The Children"? It's a low budget but deep feeling drama about disfunctional children at a camp? Bill was a hoot in that. If you haven't seen it, check it out! Lorraine

> Do you think maybe they meant that statue of The Lawgiver? When I
> saw it in the POTA documentary I said to Ken,"I wonder where that's
> been all these years."
> Tam

That's what I'm thinking too. Unless the studio actually made him a statue of himself as a present, but that seems sort of odd.
Kari

> Do you think maybe they meant that statue of The Lawgiver? When I
> saw it in the POTA documentary I said to Ken,"I wonder where
> that's been all these years."
> Tam

Tam, I thought the same thing, that it was the statue from the last "Apes" film. That has to be it, there was no other statue in any of the films. Benita

Subject: Lorraines son

Hi,This is Thomas lorraines son. I just wanted to tell you that there is another way to communicate with eachother. It is a lot better then talking through e-mail. Because instead of writing and getting a response the next day you get a response within the next minute. It is called "aol instant messanger". The way you sign up is http://www.aol.com/aim/home.html. After you sign up and pick your online names and everything then mail all of the other musgravians and tell them about it and tell them your name and have them tell you their names and finaly when the whole musgrave foundation is signed up add all of the names to the buddy list. Then you will be able to see when any body is on and you can talk live with them. It is a completely free service. I dont know just an idea. I think it is much funner to chat live then it is through e-mail. I would also like to know if any of the musgravians are already with aol because if they are me and my mom can both chat with them. So if any of you musgfravians are with aol please send me an e-mail telling me what your name is so I can add it to my buddy list. That would be so cool. O ya my address is betthomas@hotmail.com. Do not mail it to my mom she will not know what it means so it would be better just to mail it to my address so that I can tell my mom after I get your names on my buddy list.

Thanks,Thomas Bettencourt

Subject: Re: Lorraines son

Thanks for the info, Thomas. I tried once to use the ICU setup, but I still prefer E-mail. I usually read and reply to my mail at odd times, either reeeeaaaalllyy early in the morning, or late at night, so no one is ever on when I am. And my computer is a 486 running on Netscape 2.0, so if I fiddle with anything new, it just screws up. Thanks, anyway, though. I have probably been told before, but tell me again; how old are you? and share a little about yourself, man!
Kari

>Hi,This is Thomas lorraines son. I just wanted to tell you that there
>is another way to communicate with eachother. It is a lot better then
>talking through e-mail. Because instead of writing and getting a
>response the next day you get a response within the next minute. It
>is called "aol instant messanger". The way you sign up is
>http://www.aol.com/aim/home.html. After you sign up and pick your
>online names and everything then mail all of the other musgravians
>and tell them about it and tell them your name and have them tell you
>their names and finaly when the whole musgrave foundation is signed
>up add all of the names to the buddy list. Then you will be able to
>see when any body is on and you can talk live with them. It is a
>completely free service. I dont know just an idea. I think it is much
>funner to chat live then it is through e-mail. I would also like to
>know if any of the musgravians are already with aol because if they
>are me and my mom can both chat with them. So if any of you
>musgfravians are with aol please send me an e-mail telling me what
>your name is so I can add it to my buddy list. That would be so cool.
>O ya my address is betthomas@hotmail.com. Do not mail it to my mom
>she will not know what it means so it would be better just to mail it
>to my address so that I can tell my mom after I get your names on my
>buddy list.
>
> Thanks,Thomas Bettencourt

What do you know, my boys been busy! I can't take him anywhere.
And he's cute too!!!! Lorraine

Subject: bright-eyed John Glenn

:-D

--Mel

Washington Post 11/05/98

MAKING THE ROUNDS ON THE WEB:

In memoriam to Roddy McDowall, please send this to everyone (on earth) that you know: When John Glenn returns home from space, everybody dress up in ape suits. You have two days to bury the Statue of Liberty up to her head.

Subject: bio

Tammy,
         I must apologize. I mailed off a stack of bio's and must of missed yours! I found it on my desk this morning. I'll mail it today. Samantha, I still need a mailing address.Send it to:
         <zira917@hotmail.com >
Lorraine

Subject: Re: Bill Mumy

Hi, since there seem to be so many of you into Bill Mumy I thought i would let you know that when i was in a Waldens book store yesterday they had a Sci Fi Entertainment magazine(put out by the Scifi Channel) with something about 'Bill Mumy and Bruce Boxlietner(?!)...Babylon 5'. It was the December issue. Thought you guys might like to check it out.
         Oh, Mel's right. There was a statue of Ceasar in Battle.That could be it.
Tam

Subject: Re: Martian Chronicles and cricket on the hearth

You guys might want to check your local discount stores,and specifically a Meijer if you have one near you.Tonight our Meijer's had a bunch of videos marked $1.49,on sale for .99. They were mostly Best of Saturday Night Live's and some Bob Hope Movies, but they had ONE Martian Chronicles. It's the whole miniseries on one tape.And better yet, it's NOT a "previously viewed".
         Also, I read that the Rankin/ Bass "Cricket on the Hearth" is finally coming out on video. Roddy does one of the voices.It's coming out for Christmas,so check the kids Christmas videos.
Tam

Subject: Flowers

Dear Sue,

I'm sorry if you've already got my other e mails but I haven't heard from you so I thought I'd try here. Basically I've got $20 here for the flowers but I can't send it to you until I have your address. Also it won't reach you in time for the7th now, so I was wondering if you could use $20 dollars of your own till mine arrives to pay you back, because I really want to contribute here! It will be on it's way AS SOON as I hear from you.

Thanks Sam

Subject: Brace yourself, Paul!

I know that you won't be able to control your excitement, but BARRY MANILOW has a new album coming out next week!!! Yes, that's right. The master showman of our generation strikes again! I just placed my order with CDNow and I know that you'll want to do the same.

BTW, I wonder if Roddy and Barry knew each other. They were both great buddies with Liz.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: Holiday card list

Hi, Include me!!!!!

Susan Martin

> I'm extending the deadline until this Friday (11/6) for people who
> are interested. Just as an FYI, it's more of a seasonal card
> exchange, rather than purely Christmas. And, it's for
> everyone--not just the U.S. members. Most of all, it's a lot of
> fun! So please sign up.
>
> So far I have: Lorraine B., Janell B., Benita C., Janet C., Joni
> J., Jennifer R., Tammy S., Janet S., and Kyoko W. If you don't
> see your name here, send me your name and snail mail address.
> I'll be sending out the list early next week.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Subject: my thought for the day

All right, all. I have a little piece of observation that I'd like to share. I just finished the Thief of Bagdad last night ($4.88 at WAlMart, remember! :), and I'd like to point out that there are a number of shows which feature Roddy cooing at pigeons and birds of various kinds!! Class of 1984, as he's standing in his bio lab sipping a drink, That Darn Cat while he's outside his mother's coop, The Thief of Baghdad in his loft, and I think there's one in Lord Love a Duck. (I had one more, but I forgot momentarily what it was.) Anyone else notice this, or in any of his other movies? There's a lot I haven't seen yet. This is pretty useless trivia, but I thought I'd mention it.
Kari

Subject: Updates to RM tv schedule

I've made some changes to the online RM tv guide. It's now available in Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.

--Mel

Subject: Re: Flowers

To one and all - --

All systems are go for tomorrow. I will be delivering the flowers probably around noon. I will also take that opportunity to raise a glass to our Roddy at that time, (Although it will have to be diet Coke because the police frown on public drinking!!!)

Thank you one and all for such a wonderful turnout. Pictures will be on their way Monday!!!!!

Take care,

Sue Martin

Subject: Fwd: Fw: Psst.. (fwd)

From: Stephen Collins <stephen@stephencollins.com>
Subject: Re: Roddy McDowall

Dear Janet,

Thanks for thinking of me and letting me know about the plans for remembering Roddy. I really appreciate it.

All the best,

SC

Subject: Re: Updates to RM tv schedule

> Last Summer in the Hamptons
> 120 minutes
>
> Sat Nov 07 10:30A SUNDAE
> Sat Nov 07 07:00P SUNDAE

Comment on "Last Summer in the Hamptons", ...ZZZZZZZZZZ YAWN!!! ZZZZZZZZZZ And if you blink you will miss Roddy. Even he couldn't save it. Benita

>          What's the world coming too? Roddy is gone and Barry still
> allowed to make noise. That does it! I'm off to join Roddy.
> Where's my noose? Where's the cyanide? Where's ANY Barry
> record???? :)

Paul, I'm *so* happy to see that you still have these warm feelings for Barry! ;-) When he starts his next tour, would you like me to get one of the special fan club seats for you?

Dana Holland

> All systems are go for tomorrow. I will be delivering the flowers
> probably around noon. I will also take that opportunity to raise a
> glass to our Roddy at that time, (Although it will have to be diet
> Coke because the police frown on public drinking!!!)
>
> Thank you one and all for such a wonderful turnout. Pictures will
> be on their way Monday!!!!!
>
> Take care,
>
> Sue Martin

Sue, thanks again. I will be on the lookout for my pic . Benita

Subject: Re: Tam Lin

As I have just viewed A&Es Biography on Roddy, I have a question...

I see the original version of Roddy's movie, "Tam Lin", was regained and reedited back to the way Roddy wanted it to be and released on video. Has anyone seen it in any of the video stores. If they have, how much is it? What store has it? And/or does anyone have a copy of the re-mastered version? I really want a copy of this movie as I had seen the other "version" some years back on TV. (The cinamaography was fabulous but I think the plot was lost in the editing) I've always loved the legend of TamLin. Is there any hope???

-- Lady Mara

Subject: A different kind of toast

Hello, hello.

I decided to come out of lurker mode to tell you about the toast I gave to Mr. McDowall. First of all it was different and sad for me. Yesterday we had to put my faithful dog of 13 years to sleep. So, now Mr. McDowall has a companion in heaven. I just hope BlackJack gives him as much happiness as he's given me for the past 13 years.

Going back into lurker mode,
Jena

Subject: Classic Images

The November 1998 issue (vol. 281) of Classic Images (periodical, ISSN 0275-8483*81283) features a great article on Roddy written by Diana Serra Cary (a.k.a. Baby Peggy). The article is on pp. 20-22, with several b&w photos I've not seen anywhere before, and one really big photo from The Longest Day. There's also an obituary on pp. 55- 56. Added bonus: an article on Buster Keaton uses a photo shot by Roddy. Jennifer Rayburn and I had a date this morning at Library Limited, a Borders book shop, and we got our copies of the periodical there.

Classic Images has a website at http://www.classicimages.com but they've only got their October issue online. Their email address is classicimages@classicimages.com.

--Mel

Subject: BlackJack

Dear Jena,

I'm so sorry about your loss. I lost my dear little poodle, Fuzzy, six years ago - not long after my beloved grandmother died. Fuzz was like no other poodle I have ever seen and my father used to joke that there must have been a traveling man in her family tree. Anyway, on the day Fuzzy died, I "told" Grandma that I was sending Fuzzy for her to take care of until I got there.

My grandmother was quite the movie fan (she got me started) and several times since Roddy passed away, I have had this mental image of them having dinner together. So, I'm sure that that's where they are, having a wonderful time, with BlackJack and Fuzzy snoozing happily by a cozy fire.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: A different kind of toast

Oh Jena, I am so sorry to hear that. We have a cat, and I know how close one can become to our pets. It will get better, I promise.

Joni

Subject: Re: CATS

Haven't seen the video. I saw the play on Broadway sometime back and I have to admit that it's never been my favorite Lloyd Webber play. (That would be Phantom). But if you think that the video is good maybe I'll have to give it a second look.

Cheryl

Subject: Re: Poseidon

Hey Jr.

         Add me to your list, Poseidon has always been one of my favorites! What a line up of characters! Red Button, Shelly Winters, Carol Lynley, Ernest Borgnine, Gene Hackman and best of all Roddy McDowall! I have to confess though .. I like Carol alot, but Roddy has ALWAYS been my very favorite. I've watch the movie over and over again but found myself not watching after "Acres" fell to his death while saving another. If you don't mind a Roddy fanatic joining in your group, sign me up.
Lorraine Bettencourt

Subject: Re: Don't do anything drastic, Paul!!

If I have to go to a Barry Manilow concert when I die, I'm not going...
Tam

Mara, Have you heard the song "Tamlin"?It's Fairport Convention or Sandy Denney or someone like that. It's sort of Celtic/pop. Very good.It follows the legend very closely("...and she will turn me, in your arms,into a lion, bold.But hold me tight and fear not..." I wish I had a decent recording of it,but all I have is a very crappy,very old cassette.

Tam

Subject: Musgrave t-shirt

Members who are interested in a Musgrave t-shirt, please email me *privately* at isantos@mail.win.org with desired shirt size and quantity, so Jennifer and I can canvass printers. It'll be a black shirt with white design; Jennifer will let us know when she has design(s) ready.

--Mel

Sorry about your dog Jena. My shepard is 15 years old and is not doing well. People have told me we should put her to sleep but I refuse. She still wags her tail and greets us every morning. Why would I deprive her of that. She is our eldest child! Both my children have only known life with this dog. So I have decided to allow nature to take its course. She suffers a little, but she's still happy.
Lorraine

Kari,
         I have Cats on my soon to do list. I know it must be great! I missed the stage Cats and was really interested in taking in the movie. We had brought home Deep Impact instead. Definately worth watching!
Lorraine

Subject: Re:Roddy's glasses

You have to admit, at least the Hell House glasses were better than those black framed ones(and quite cool in their day.) I didn't notice until I watched Hell House again recently,but his glasses sure were pop bottle bottoms,weren't they!! I find Rex Reed's description amusing,that they"give him the appearance of a startled mongoose".It's a wonder someone who wore glasses that thick could stand those old contacts they used to make. Thank goodness for all us admirers of his eyes, he did!
Tam

Sue,
         Thank you for handling the flowers! It's wonderful what we can achieve as a group! Thanks for taking charge of the flowers.
Lorraine

TAM wrote:
> ... I find Rex Reed's description amusing,that they "give him the
> appearance of a startled mongoose"

Roddy was probably hyperopic (farsighted) instead of myopic (nearsighted). Eyeglass lenses used to correct hyperopia make the eyes look big, which would fit Reed's description.

--Mel

Subject: Gathering

Now here's a suggestion from my sister about where would be a nifty place for a Musgrave gathering: at 204 Herne Hill Road, Herne Hill (London SE24), England. Assuming the house is still there.

--Mel

Subject: Re: Gathering

It might be a bit dangerous gathering at Herne Hill.According to Roddy, it's near Brixton, which isn't such a good neighborhood! (Remember the Brixton riots?)Another good place,(this would be assuming everyone could afford to go to California----count me out!) would be 20th Century Fox. They probably do studio tours. Roddy spent a great deal of his life there,even as an adult. He even had an office there.
Tam

I'm with you Lorraine. If it were me I wouldn't want to be put to sleep while I could still enjoy life even a little.I don't like the idea of putting animals to sleep at the least provocation. I can sort of see it when there is no hope,or they are in great pain,but your dog sounds like she is still deriving pleasure from life, and bringing joy to all of you.Good for you for sticking with a dedicated friend to the end.
Tam

> Thanks Benita,
> The poem was moving. Lorraine

Actually Lorraine, it is in my church's hymnal. From the United Methodist Church. Sun. Nov. 1 was All Saints Day and the liturigy we used was a couple of pages over from it. I mis-read the page number and turned to it first. It was so pretty, and had a very comforting effect on me. I just had to share it. Benita

> Comment on "Last Summer in the Hamptons", ...ZZZZZZZZZZ YAWN!!!
> ZZZZZZZZZZ And if you blink you will miss Roddy. Even he couldn't
> save it. Benita

Sorry, but I have to heartily disagree. I LOVED Summer in the Hamptons, and the fact that Roddy was in it was an *extra* bonus! He added a certain spark to the whole film.

Lynne Ackerman

Subject: POTA action figures

Hi, gang, thought I'd pass on this review of the new Apes action figures ...

--Mel

REVIEW: Planet of the Apes

Author: GI Trekker
Email: gitrekker@aol.com
Forums: rec.toys.action-figures.discuss

Finally saw these, thanks to a friend who picked them up for me. I saw them when I visited California, where he resides, and he's shipping them to me. But initial reactions:

GENERAL URSUS: Probably the bext of the three. Big, mean-looking gorilla with a superb uniform and face sculpt. Interestingly, the box does specify "Beneath the Planet of the Apes".

DR. ZAIUS: Very nicely done and nicely outfitted.

CORNELIUS: Oh, lord. The memory of Roddy McDowall deserved better than this. His mouth is hanging open, which looks pretty odd, the hair is very poorly done, he's got these bags under his eyes that make him look drunk, and the uniform is horribly inaccurate. You want a good Cornelius -- buy Mego.

Tam, We can go to a party at Roddy,s house instead on the night of the Manilow concert. After all, it will be Heaven won't it? We can take Paul with us.
Janet C

Author: Spcape33
Email: spcape33@aol.com
Date: 1998/11/11
Forums: alt.video.tape-trading

I just got off the phone with Gene. He assured me there were 34-37 episodes filmed of the tv series. Including 2 one hour specials. I will be receiving them by the end of the month. I am also receiving 3 original ape masks on Saturday, one of each. I just watched the "Behind the Planet of the Apes" documentary and Roddy McDowell clearly said "sadly, the show was cancelled after only 13 episodes were aired." The stuff I am getting is the aired episodes and the unaired episodes. What a hook up! All for dubbing him off a copy of the documentary to use during a seminar!

Will keep you updated.

Steve

MAUREEN wrote:

> Ok -- A couple of days ago, one of our local DJs (in Washington,
> DC) was reading an item about Liz. It said that she's considering
> marrying again--to Rod Steiger.

I saw a news article as early as February this year that they've been dating (it should be in our February mail archive). Elizabeth was so enthusiastic about Steiger that Roddy invited them both to dinner at his house. I found this more recent article from our favorite tabloid, the National Enquirer online:

Boyfriend Rod Steiger is pressuring Liz to marry him -- and she's in a tizzy over what to do.

"Rod has proposed several times, but Liz keeps putting him off because she's uncertain about taking such a big step so quickly after the death of her best pal Roddy McDowall," a friend revealed.

"As thrilled as she is to have love in her life again, Liz just can't seem to make up her mind. She paces the floor, weighing her options and trying to think things through.

"Everyone close to her is amazed at how well Liz has rebounded since her recent bout with back problems and her dependence on pain pills. She still has a long way to go, and she wants Rod with her on the journey. But she wants to wait a while before taking the plunge.

"Rod absolutely adores Liz and she's the first to admit he's provided a pillar of strength for her. He was with her every moment he could as she held her deathbed vigil for Roddy. And she ran into Rod's arms in grief after Roddy's death on October 3."

Mind you, I found this article only because Roddy's name is mentioned. *shudder*

--Mel

Subject: ELIZABETH

Gee Lynne, sorry for the "Liz" in my last post. :( I think that I fell into the trap because she is so often referred to in the media as such. I did, as a matter of fact, know her preference and in future will be more careful.

Cheryl :)

Absolutely. I read about it in the National Inquirer months ago. Supposedly, Liz took Rod Steiger to lunch at Roddy's house to get his approval. Roddy told her that Rod was a keeper. Believe it or not - it's up to you.

Cheryl

> Ok -- A couple of days ago, one of our local DJs (in Washington,
> DC) was reading an item about Liz. It said that she's considering
> marrying again--to Rod Steiger.
>
> My first reaction was, "Huh?" Then...Rod Steiger? Then.......Rod
> STEIGER??????? (I don't have anything against the guy, but Rod
> Steiger?) Rod TAYLOR, maybe; our beloved Rod(dy) when he was alive,
> definitely; but Rod Steiger?
>
> Supposedly, she's very much in love with Rod (Rod Steiger?), but
> isn't sure she wants to marry again.
>
> I have no idea where the DJ got this information, but has anyone
> else heard it (Rod Steiger?)?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Yes, I heard somewhere that Liz and Rod have been an item for a while now.

Joni

Oooooooppppps! That was probably me, Lynn. I didn't intend any disrespect towards Elizabeth, it's just quicker to type the shorter abb. I'll correct that from now on. :)
Kari

> Anyways, can I bring up a pet peeve of mine? On this list, can we
> please try to call Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth? She was Roddy's
> lifelong best friend, and she *hates* being called "Liz". I know
> Roddy always called her "Elizabeth", and that most people on this
> list do as well. If anyone doesn't, I'm sure it's just because
> they don't know her preference. Just like Richard Burton hated
> being called "Dick".
>
> Lynne Ackerman

Yes! I've read that lots, but I don't remember particularly where. She has been seeing him for a while now. I remember reading maybe a year ago about her going to a party with him (I remember, 'cause it said something about her and Rod, then her and Rod-dy, the writer was making it clear that they were both there.) But, yes! I guess they're an item. Although I agree, Rod STEIGER?! Didn't one of the scandal sheets mention Elizabeth telling Rod that she couldn't be with him, 'cause she was staying by Roddy? Maybe I'm dreaming. And it was a tabloid, so who knows.
Kari

> Ok -- A couple of days ago, one of our local DJs (in Washington,
> DC) was reading an item about Liz. It said that she's considering
> marrying again--to Rod Steiger.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Poor Elizabeth. It makes me sad for her all over again. Lorraine

> "Rod absolutely adores Liz and she's the first to admit he's
> provided a pillar of strength for her. He was with her every moment
> he could as she held her deathbed vigil for Roddy. And she ran into
> Rod's arms in grief after Roddy's death on October 3."

Mel's been working too hard! Can you imagine how many hours Mel spends catering to our Roddy window? I've been given more information in the last month from Mel than I have gathered on my own in Thirty years! Thanks again Mel.
Lorraine

> Ok -- A couple of days ago, one of our local DJs (in Washington,
> DC) was reading an item about Liz. It said that she's considering
> marrying again--to Rod Steiger.
>
> My first reaction was, "Huh?" Then...Rod Steiger? Then.......Rod
> STEIGER??????? (I don't have anything against the guy, but Rod
> Steiger?) Rod TAYLOR, maybe; our beloved Rod(dy) when he was alive,
> definitely; but Rod Steiger?
>
> Supposedly, she's very much in love with Rod (Rod Steiger?), but
> isn't sure she wants to marry again.
>
> I have no idea where the DJ got this information, but has anyone
> else heard it (Rod Steiger?)?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> Maureen Lynch

Maureen, last year, or was it early this year, I *did* read Elizbeth and Rod Steiger were an item. And that although he and Roddy had crossed paths over the years they really did not know each other well. But when Elizbeth told Roddy about her and Rod and that she wanted the two of them to meet, and more or less get each one's approval of the other they did meet and hit it off. Benita

> Just be sure to wear only three bars on your collar. That way, if
> we ever do get stuck in a space time contniuum & I am the only one
> with the ability to break us out, I'll know to listen only to
> you...

         Kathy,
         I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose anyone else did???

Paul Worley

She was already seeing Rod Steiger before Roddy died and Roddy approved. Kyoko

Subject: Re: Unaired POTA tv episodes?

> Now this is interesting: This newsgroup post claims there were
> more more than 13 episodes of the Apes TV series. Heard anything
> at all about this, Paul? Two people have already responded to
> this post, very succintly thus: b.s.
>
> --Mel

A full season is only 26 espsidodes. There is no way there are more than 30 episodes out there. They must have heard of the cartoon sereies and think that was extra episodeds of the regular series. Benita

> I just got off the phone with Gene. He assured me there were
> 34-37 episodes filmed of the tv series. Including 2 one hour
> specials.

> And Laurence Olivier. Speaking of old stars, does anyone know
> when and of what Richard Burton died? We were wondering the
> other night while watching one of his movies.

         Well, let's see now... Richard died 8/5/84. it's funny you mention him...his birthday was Just this past Tuesday, November 10th.
         And speaking of birthdays, Kim Hunter turned 76 on the 12th.
         How's that for a bunch of useless trivia?? :)

Paul Worley

Subject: (Fwd) join RM GROUP

Welcome to the group, Barb!

--Mel

From: barbto@uniserve.com
Date sent: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:45:25 -0800
To: isantos@mail.win.org
Subject: join RM GROUP

Dear Imalda (Mel):

I have been an loyal and loving fan of Roddy McDowall for over 30 years. My name is Barbara (Barb) Townley. Sally Mierop suggested contacting you at your email address.

I would like to join the unofficial Roddy McDowall Fan Club. Is that the same thing as the RM GROUP list? If not I would like to join that too. I am interested in anything on Roddy- I also have a vast collection of photos and other material on RM for sale or trade. If you or anyone else is interested contact me at barbto@uniserve.com

Thanks Mel, write back soon.

Barb

> > Just be sure to wear only three bars on your collar. That way, if
> > we ever do get stuck in a space time contniuum & I am the only one
> > with the ability to break us out, I'll know to listen only to
> > you...
>
> Kathy,
> I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose
> anyone else did???
>
> Paul Worley
br> Anybody for a game of poker?

--Mel

> Kathy,
> I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose
> anyone else did???
>
> Paul Worley

>Anybody for a game of poker?

Can I wear Data's hat?
Janice

> Mel's been working too hard! Can you imagine how many hours Mel
> spends catering to our Roddy window? I've been given more
> information in the last month from Mel than I have gathered on my
> own in Thirty years!
> Thanks again Mel. Lorraine

Hear, hear!!

Lynne Ackerman

I find really hard to imagine anyone not hitting off with Roddy. He was too genuine to dismiss.
Lorraine

> Maureen, last year, or was it early this year, I *did* read
> Elizbeth >and Rod Steiger were an item. And that although he and
> Roddy had crossed paths over the years they really did not know
> each other well. But when Elizbeth told Roddy about her and Rod
> and that she wanted the two of them to meet, and more or less get
> each one's approval of the other they did meet and hit it off.
> Benita

> > > Just be sure to wear only three bars on your collar. That way, if
> > > we ever do get stuck in a space time contniuum & I am the only one
> > > with the ability to break us out, I'll know to listen only to
> > > you...
> > I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose
> > anyone else did???
> Anybody for a game of poker?

         Kathy is Data, Mel is Riker, and I must be Picard (Especially since i'm also the clone of RM--I get special privledge!!!)

Paul Worley

Subject: Re: Just a bunch of stuff

Well,I finally got my Cornelius doll.Toys R Us had Corny and Ursus,but no Dr. Zaius. So, I'm still one short. As for the dolls,the chin hair does kind of stick straight out,and why is the chest emblem on Cornelius's stomach?!Other than that they are pretty good. At least they changed Cornelius's suit from the horrible blue vinyl pictured on the box to the appropriate green cotton.The face doesn't really look like Cornelius,but it's fairly true to the movies' makeup in general.I told Ken I could take them out of the boxes and doctor them up a little and they would be close to perfect.He was mock appalled that I would consider removing them from their boxes and lowering their future value.I'm still thinking of making a Roddy doll using the process I used to make Emma's doll of herself. I'll let you know how it turns out.
         Did everybody get their Vanity Fair?Good article and pictures.I love the way he describes how Roddy said and did certain things.It's the next best thing to having been there.For any of us who still wondered about Roddy's "preference", I guess that can now be put to rest,if Dunne is to be believed(and he was a good friend of Roddy's,so...) It does seem strange that he would just make an open comment like that,as if it were common knowledge.He does give some weight to my other theory too though,when he mentions how when Roddy would talk about Elizabeth he"got that Elizabeth look" on his face:"smiles at the corners of his mouth and a far away look in his eyes",or something like that. Maybe both were true.
         I have also read that she hates to be called "Liz".
         Yes, Robert Downey Jr. has a little girl.
         Can you tell I haven't been on here for a few days? My sister in laws and nephew are here from England,so I have been busy. I've spent the last couple of days doing most of my Christmas shopping so I can send it back with them and save the postage! I'm all Christmas shopped out in November!
Tam

Subject: David Eddings fans?

Here's a thought I've had for years and never shared with anyone. Are any of you David Eddings fans? For those of you not familiar with Eddings, he's an author of primarily fantasy books. My favorite series are his "Belgariad" and the "Mallorean" books.

From the first time I read these books I've pictured our hero as the character Prince Kheldar (or Silk). He's a sharp witted outrageous merchant prince/spy character. As I was watching Lord Love a Duck for the first time tonight the image of Roddy as Silk was really solidified.

Did I do my math correctly? Was Roddy really 38yrs old when he very convincingly played a high school senior? Wow, he looked GREAT in that film!

pamela :-)

> > And Laurence Olivier. Speaking of old stars, does anyone know
> > when and of what Richard Burton died? We were wondering the
> > other night while watching one of his movies.
>
>          Well, let's see now... Richard died 8/5/84. it's funny you
> mention him...his birthday was Just this past Tuesday, November
> 10th. And speaking of birthdays, Kim Hunter turned 76 on the 12th.
> How's that for a bunch of useless trivia?? :)
>
> Paul Worley

Oh yeah! I was going to wish all you Zira fans a happy Kim's birthday, but I forgot to that night! I just saw her on ET the other night, and her eyes still look like Zira's. :)
Kari

Subject: articles

I don't have my e-mail for the last week so I don't know if this has been mentioned.

Look for the December issue of Vanity Fair. Nice article by Dominick Dunne.

Also the November issue of Classic Images. 2 1/2 page article by a former child actor. It's an oversized magazine printed on newspaper paper. I would have written about this one sooner but my internet service provider wasn't living up to the "service provider" part. I don't know if this issue is still on newsstands. If not you can probably find out about back issues at there web site - www.classicimages.com.

-- Morgan

Pardon my ignorance, but HUH????! Kari

> > > Just be sure to wear only three bars on your collar. That way, if
> > > we ever do get stuck in a space time contniuum & I am the only one
> > > with the ability to break us out, I'll know to listen only to
> > > you...
> >
> >          Kathy,
> >          I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose
> > anyone else did???
> >
> > Paul Worley
>
> Anybody for a game of poker?
>
> --Mel

> > >          I caught the Kelsey Grammer/Bozman reference... Do you suppose
> > > anyone else did???
> > Anybody for a game of poker?
>
>          Kathy is Data, Mel is Riker, and I must be Picard (Especially
> since i'm also the clone of RM--I get special privledge!!!)
>
> Paul Worley

Aaaaaahhhh, I got it. It's been a while since I've watched STNG. Good episode, though!
Kari

Subject: Re: (Fwd) join RM GROUP

Hi Barb! Welcome to our circus! Just don't mention Barry Manilow, or you'll never hear an end to it. ;)
Kari

> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
>
> I have been an loyal and loving fan of Roddy McDowall for over 30
> years. My name is Barbara (Barb) Townley. Sally Mierop suggested
> contacting you at your email address.
>
> I would like to join the unofficial Roddy McDowall Fan Club. Is
> that the same thing as the RM GROUP list? If not I would like to
> join that too. I am interested in anything on Roddy- I also have a
> vast collection of photos and other material on RM for sale or
> trade. If you or anyone else is interested contact me at
> barbto@uniserve.com
>
> Thanks Mel, write back soon.
>
> Barb

Still looking for Vanity Fair, thank you. Maybe I'll try the library. Hey, on the bright side, I got my A&E biography in the mail today! Whoopee! I loved it. It cost me about 40 bucks by the time I paid the exchange, border taxes, and miscellaneous made up fees, (as I expected) but it was WORTH it. All done up in a nice A&E green package, too. In fact, I'm going to go watch it again. Cheerio!
Kari

>          Did everybody get their Vanity Fair?Good article and pictures.I
> love the way he describes how Roddy said and did certain
> things.It's the next best thing to having been there.For any of us
> who still wondered about Roddy's "preference", I guess that can now
> be put to rest,if Dunne is to be believed(and he was a good friend
> of Roddy's,so...) It does seem strange that he would just make an
> open comment like that,as if it were common knowledge.He does give
> some weight to my other theory too though,when he mentions how when
> Roddy would talk about Elizabeth he"got that Elizabeth look" on his
> face:"smiles at the corners of his mouth and a far away look in
> his eyes",or something like that. Maybe both were true.
> Tam

> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
>
> I have been an loyal and loving fan of Roddy McDowall for over 30
> years. My name is Barbara (Barb) Townley. Sally Mierop suggested
> contacting you at your email address.
>
> I would like to join the unofficial Roddy McDowall Fan Club. Is
> that the same thing as the RM GROUP list? If not I would like to
> join that too. I am interested in anything on Roddy- I also have a
> vast collection of photos and other material on RM for sale or
> trade. If you or anyone else is interested contact me at
> barbto@uniserve.com
>
> Thanks Mel, write back soon.
>
> Barb

Hi Barb, welcome to the group. Benita

Tam,

I can't get my hands on a copy of that darn magazine here. What exactly did it say?

Cheryl

TAM wrote:
> Did everybody get their Vanity Fair?Good article and pictures.

Got two copies today. I agree -- good article and pictures (almost missed the one on page 96); I just had to smile at his expression in that Malibu photo. I hereby nominate Dominick Dunne as Roddy biographer (maybe he and Dick Moore can collaborate). Anybody got an address where we can write Dunne? hmm, maybe c/o Vanity Fair ... to thank him for the article. Reading good pieces like Dunne's just whets my appetite for more.

--Mel

next

RM Tribute: Frames | RM Tribute: No Frames | Contact Us | Musgrave Foundation